IGNORED

How to Draw the Golf Ball (or How to Stop Slicing)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, coming over-the-top is a problem but it's a result of other pieces being off. Most likely a Key #1 and/or #2 problem. If you stick with what I recommend on the "draw list" your over-the-top move will be gone or greatly reduced.

I would check two things if you want to stop swinging across the ball

- That you are making a full turn with the left hip staying forward

- That the weight is transferring forward on the downswing with a Steady Head

Thanks for the information! I am not sure I get the first point... What do you mean ? That in the BS I should turn my left hip until it´s like over tha ball ?? How do I train it?

The second point is more clear, I think, I have to feel that I´m with my left foot pressing hard on the ground when I start the DS... is that right? Thanks

:nike:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the information! I am not sure I get the first point... What do you mean ? That in the BS I should turn my left hip until it´s like over tha ball ?? How do I train it?

The second point is more clear, I think, I have to feel that I´m with my left foot pressing hard on the ground when I start the DS... is that right? Thanks

Maybe check out the first post again. Remember how my hips moved in the slice example? They slide back, away from the line drawn on my left hip.

I'm going to film a video on how to train it tomorrow or Wednesday, been meaning to do it but my course was closed all of last week.

Here is an example of the left hip staying forward, the hips still turn about 45 degrees but the left hip does't move away from the green line.

You might also like this thread

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm going to film a video on how to train it tomorrow or Wednesday, been meaning to do it but my course was closed all of last week.

Mike McLoughlin

Great video Mike.  I thought I was doing a centered hip turn correctly but after seeing this video Im almost turning over my back hip instead of my front hip.  When I put the lines on each of my hips my left hip doesn't really sway back but the front one definitely does move away from the line.  Next time i go to the range Im going to make sure Im doing this correctly.

Thanks,

Jake.

• 6 months later...

Yes, coming over-the-top is a problem but it's a result of other pieces being off. Most likely a Key #1 and/or #2 problem. If you stick with what I recommend on the "draw list" your over-the-top move will be gone or greatly reduced.

I´ve been working on these keys, however I´m still not able to hit the driver good. Yesterday it was horrible. Don´t know why. I´m working avoiding the 3 points you mentioned before:

- Grip is palmy

- Don't turn enough on the backswing, don't create enough depth with the arms and hip turn

- Weight doesn't get forward enough on the downswing, don't create enough axis tilt

Keep working...

Anyway, how can I take the club straight back properly ? I struggle with this because I should turn my shoulders, but keeping my arms close to the line of the ball (in the takeaway) just to avoid placing it too far inside. But, my feeling is (and this is the most important point) that if I do that, my arms goes their own way, and not follow my chest.(which is wrong).. don´t know if it´s clear enough.

• Administrator

I´ve been working on these keys, however I´m still not able to hit the driver good. Yesterday it was horrible. Don´t know why. I´m working avoiding the 3 points you mentioned before:

- Grip is palmy

- Don't turn enough on the backswing, don't create enough depth with the arms and hip turn

- Weight doesn't get forward enough on the downswing, don't create enough axis tilt

Keep working...

Anyway, how can I take the club straight back properly? I struggle with this because I should turn my shoulders, but keeping my arms close to the line of the ball (in the takeaway) just to avoid placing it too far inside. But, my feeling is (and this is the most important point) that if I do that, my arms goes their own way, and not follow my chest.(which is wrong).. don´t know if it´s clear enough.

Quickly (sorry):

• Why are you trying to take the club "straight back"?
  • Where's your My Swing thread?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quickly (sorry):

Why are you trying to take the club "straight back"?

Yeah @Jameson I don't remember talking about that in the OP ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah @Jameson I don't remember talking about that in the OP

Oh my.!.. I misunderstood... You said that it´s not good to take the club straight back... What a mess

• 2 weeks later...
I read all these swing thoughts thread fairly frequently. Reading the list on the first post the talk of the grip getting palmy kinda stuck in my head. Sure enough i was getting palmy. Worked on this quite a bit this morning warming up and through my round today. Definitely made a difference today.

• 2 months later...
So if you hit the ball straight but sometimes get a "snap hook," you are still not hitting "in to out" enough? Because the times I get a wicked snap hook is when it try to swing outward.... Can the face be so closed that you can't actually start it off right even with an in to out path? My balls will start out at about 1:00 and snap violently across the fairway. And if I ever do get it to start out right, it's usually just a push.

• Administrator
So if you hit the ball straight but sometimes get a "snap hook," you are still not hitting "in to out" enough? Because the times I get a wicked snap hook is when it try to swing outward....

Can the face be so closed that you can't actually start it off right even with an in to out path? My balls will start out at about 1:00 and snap violently across the fairway. And if I ever do get it to start out right, it's usually just a push.

Please look up the ball flight laws. The path being more in to out will just make the ball hook more - it will not help the ball start very much farther to the right.

Read this: Ball Flight Laws .

If you're fighting hooks, trying to swing in to out is basically the WORST thing you can do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Please look up the ball flight laws. The path being more in to out will just make the ball hook more - it will not help the ball start very much farther to the right. Read this: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws]Ball Flight Laws[/URL]. If you're fighting hooks, trying to swing in to out is basically the WORST thing you can do.

Haha lets just say I've realized this common sense thing through "trial and error" lately, which in golf terms means "buh-bye!" I just got your guys' book last night to prepare for my first tournament. Can't wait to read it.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread and these two points massively resonate - with all the other links in here, I've got a lot of reading to do! Nice to know that I can pretty much solve the 'coming over the top' issue through working on Keys 1 and 2 :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I can pretty much solve the 'coming over the top' issue through working on Keys 1 and 2

Right, that's the idea.

Mike McLoughlin

So is there a feel or something I can check with video to change a pull to a push? I can get a pull draw basically anytime I want but I can't seem to get a push draw.

So is there a feel or something I can check with video to change a pull to a push? I can get a pull draw basically anytime I want but I can't seem to get a push draw.

Those two shots would likely require very different paths and clubface alignments from each other.

Colin P.

That is a big shift in swing path and not really that easy to do. The feel would be something you need to develop.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!