IGNORED

Tiger calls Love to volunteer as Ryder Cup assistant

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Should Davis Love grab Tiger as an assistant captain? (if Tiger doesn't make the team)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Davis Love grab Tiger as an assistant captain? (if Tiger doesn't make the team)

• Yes
    • No

(edited)

I'm actually a little surprised Tiger did this, just seems a bit premature for him to have a role like this. I think having him be an assitant would be a good thing and he probably misses being apart of these teams.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/woods-calls-love-volunteer-ryder-cup-assistant/

Tiger made it clear that he wanted to be part of the team, even if it is in the role of assistant captain.

"He [Woods] was watching at home and he just had to call," Love said. "He was talking about all the things he thought we needed to do, and he had a lot of ideas. We're already doing a lot of planning for next year, and it's great. It's part of the whole process that started after Gleneagles. Everybody is thinking about it, which is great."

It is a very real possibility Woods won't qualify for the Ryder Cup team and could be passed over as a captain's pick. The current 311th-ranked player in the world recently underwent another back operation and has said he will be out until early 2016.

Love has already named Tom Lehman as one of his assistants, but it sounds like Tiger will be in the running for one of the other spots.

"We've already been doing a lot of planning," Love added. "And Tiger is just as interested as the rest of us to get going."

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The guy is a competitor and loves the game. He wants to be a part of it any way he can. I believe he has earned himself an assistant role for as long as he'd like. 

Edited by Braivo

- Mark

I believe he as earned it as well, but I have never seen his as the motivator and guy that other players look to for advice.  I think Phil is a perfect fit, he is able to get a long with everyone and relate to most all players.  Tiger had always tried to keep things to himself and not share information, not saying he would be the same way now, but he doesnt have the reputation as being a guy that is a wealth of knowledge or willing to share everything he knows!

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

If Tiger wants the job I think it should be his without question. Yes, I don't see him being a great locker room speech kind of guy, but he's a gamer and competitor who hates losing so having him be part of the team can only help IMO.

Love III should've hung up on him.

Tiger isn't a team guy. 

I think this is your opinion. Apart from Phil, all his other partners have enjoyed playing with him and would disagree with you.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think this is your opinion. Apart from Phil, all his other partners have enjoyed playing with him and would disagree with you.

I don't disagree that people probable like playing with him.  The aura and allure of playing with arguably the best player in the history of the game would be enticing for any player, but Tiger himself has made no secret that he didn't want to mentor or help young players when he was on top.  One secret to success is never giving away all your secrets.  He very well could have changed and now want to help the younger generation.  I have just never thought any of the players thought of him like Phil or even Stricker.  They are in a different category when it comes to helping others and being a "team" guy.

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

I don't disagree that people probable like playing with him.  The aura and allure of playing with arguably the best player in the history of the game would be enticing for any player, but Tiger himself has made no secret that he didn't want to mentor or help young players when he was on top.  One secret to success is never giving away all your secrets.  He very well could have changed and now want to help the younger generation.  I have just never thought any of the players thought of him like Phil or even Stricker.  They are in a different category when it comes to helping others and being a "team" guy.

This seems to counter that presumption. I have also heard he's helped other. Darren Clarke spoke with Woods before winning the Open Championship. This happens more than most think.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2015/8/17/9164255/rory-mcilroy-tweet-congrats-jason-day-jordan-spieth-pga-championship-2015

Day credited several people in his life with helping him finally capture that major victory that had frustratingly eluded him.

"He texts Tiger all the time," Day’s wife Ellie told GolfChannel.com after her husband emerged a three-shot winner over Spieth.

Colin Swatton, Day’s long-time coach, caddie and the man the newly crowned PGA champion credits with saving his life, would not divulge private conversations between the two men. He did tell GolfChannel.com, though, that Woods has passed along advice that "has been a help in allowing Jason to get better."

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Tiger helps people all the time. I've seen it. The younger guys all look up to him and consider him a friend.

I've never seen any indication from Tiger or others that he doesn't want to help others @ncarlsongolf. At the end of the day Tiger is a golf geek.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tiger helps people all the time. I've seen it. The younger guys all look up to him and consider him a friend.

I've never seen any indication from Tiger or others that he doesn't want to help others @ncarlsongolf. At the end of the day Tiger is a golf geek.

I want that to be the case, I just haven't really heard that before.  Everything I have heard from events and players is that they have very little contact with him and that is how it was painted since he was first on tour! More than anyone I want him to lend a hand to the American side and be there to give his input on keeping that mental edge he had for all those years.

Instagram

He would be good for the team and the event.  I would add him in a heart beat.  I do not think he will qualify to play, but an assistant would be a great role, as I see him as caption at some point.

Edited by isukgolf

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Tiger while still an active member of the PGA Tour is a legend of the sport and should be part of the team even if it's as an assistant captain.

Joe Paradiso

I'm trying to think of how many true super stars made it as a coach. Tiger can tell them to hit the 6 iron 240 yards out of sand over water onto the green.....damn few could do it.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

• Administrator

I'm trying to think of how many true super stars made it as a coach. Tiger can tell them to hit the 6 iron 240 yards out of sand over water onto the green.....damn few could do it.

Good thing Ryder Cup captains aren't really coaching them to do anything.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Who in their right mind would just pass on Tiger wanting to help their golf team.

Uhhhhhh, why? He has nothing to offer? C'mon…

Uhhhhhh, why? He has nothing to offer? C'mon…

Perhaps you're being sarcastic? Arguably being the best golfer of all time, I was implying that no one should even consider rejecting Tiger.

My question is what role do the assistant coaches truly play in the Ryder Cup? I know they probably help arrange the pairings that are sent out during the days, but what do they do besides that, motivational speeches, and talking to the press? How much does it matter who the assistant Ryder Cup captains? I would vote to give Woods a shot at it, just because I don't see him actually having that much influence as to how the Ryder Cup goes while still allowing him to be involved (which would boost TV ratings and revenue) in some fashion.

Note: This thread is 3074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!