IGNORED

Tiger calls Love to volunteer as Ryder Cup assistant

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Should Davis Love grab Tiger as an assistant captain? (if Tiger doesn't make the team)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Davis Love grab Tiger as an assistant captain? (if Tiger doesn't make the team)

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator

Perhaps you're being sarcastic? Arguably being the best golfer of all time, I was implying that no one should even consider rejecting Tiger.

My mistake - I misread your post as saying they should pass, not that they'd be crazy to pass. I got it now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My question is what role do the assistant coaches truly play in the Ryder Cup? I know they probably help arrange the pairings that are sent out during the days, but what do they do besides that, motivational speeches, and talking to the press? How much does it matter who the assistant Ryder Cup captains? I would vote to give Woods a shot at it, just because I don't see him actually having that much influence as to how the Ryder Cup goes while still allowing him to be involved (which would boost TV ratings and revenue) in some fashion.

I think the assistant captain's role is more important for the captain than for the players. Assistants can provide honest feedback and input on a number of things regarding the players and pairings. When the matches come down to 1/2, 1 or 2 points, that stuff can matter.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Oh look, more evidence to suggest that Tiger isn't the worst human being in the world! :-P

On a serious note, I think Tiger would be a good assistant captain. He's a smart dude, and I've always heard from credible sources that he is very well-liked by his peers. 

This is going to all be a moot point when he wins the Grand Slam next year, of course. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I think Tiger is obviously in a different phase of his career now and getting more involved with the team side of things might be something that he can actually excel at.  I can see why early on in his career he maybe wanted to keep himself apart and maintain that invincible aura - he probably knew that he earned shots over the competition just by playing up to that image.  Coming down the straight with Tiger in the group behind you probably put off more people from shooting lower than it made people play better.  Now as he is maybe less in contention he can soften that up a bit and get more out of helping the US team compete.  I just read the book that he wrote when he was young about how he plays golf and the thing that really comes across is how much he loves the game and the history of it.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I like the idea of Tiger being an assistant captain for the Ryder Cup team. I like the idea of him actually making the team a bit more, but you take what you get.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

(edited)

I voted yes. He's played many of them, knows the opposition players and is a competitive guy, imho, he would make a good assistant.

B Chamblee making the cast against Woods and Mickelson.

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

If Tiger has something to say, players will listen, every player will listen, that's an important thing with coaching, and not many have that clout with players.

Assistant coaches probably work closely with the players, or a specific group of players, or just a player,  for in game strategy during the rounds, the head coach can't do all that at once.

I think it's great to hear Tiger wants this, I kind of thought he was moving on from the game, lacking interest, but this tells us a different story, he still loves the game.

Or maybe he just wants the free meals and schwag.

Edited by MrDC

Brandel can go shove it. By his logic we should've been nigh invincible with Tom Watson as captain last year, seeing how he had such an exceptional Ryder Cup Record compared to Paul McGinley's 2-2-5 record.

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 1

I'm typically not a Brandel hater and I like to hear his perspective at times, but this looks like nothing more than reaching for headlines/relevance on his part.

(edited)

B Chamblee making the cast against Woods and Mickelson

What a silly argument. That's like saying Palmer and Watson didn't have enough "passion" when they played the PGA Championship. 

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Some people make better captains or assistant captains than they were players. Look at successful baseball managers who are cerebral about the game but were mediocre players.

In Woods' and Phil's case, they are players - and team play is difficult. The records can be misleading, especially when comparing eras.

Brandel's record comparisons are somewhat silly, and are irrelevant as Euros joined GB, and the quality of the Euro teams has drastically increased over the last 20 years.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Love III should've hung up on him.

Tiger isn't a team guy. 

I'm inclined to agree with you, at least as far as him being a team guy. What I don't get is why Tiger would call Love in Korea about being a vice-captain at the Ryder Cup next year, after he'd already agreed to do it at least a week earlier. Yahoo Sports announced on 9/29/15 that Tiger had volunteered to be a vice-captain in 2016 if his play didn't earn him a spot on the team. It sounds like the call to Love in Korea on 10/9/15 may have been just another way for TW to keep his name in the spotlight with the timing of his return to golf uncertain at this point.  

I'm inclined to agree with you, at least as far as him being a team guy. What I don't get is why Tiger would call Love in Korea about being a vice-captain at the Ryder Cup next year, after he'd already agreed to do it at least a week earlier. Yahoo Sports announced on 9/29/15 that Tiger had volunteered to be a vice-captain in 2016 if his play didn't earn him a spot on the team. It sounds like the call to Love in Korea on 10/9/15 may have been just another way for TW to keep his name in the spotlight with the timing of his return to golf uncertain at this point.  

From the Department of People Never Change...

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I hope he plays.

Yes, and hope they find a partner with whom he can play .... otherwise, singles.

I hope he plays.

Even Davis Love has indicated that it would be highly unlikely that Tiger would make the team as a player unless, of course, he has a remarkable turnaround after he resumes playing early next year. Anything is possible, I guess. 

Shack...RC Asst Capt is nothing more than another opportunity for Eldrick to keep the focus on himself..not the team. How many tournaments have we watched of late, where he is not even on the third page, but the leg-humpers at CBS, GC, etc..only focus on his every shot, not the leaders? .... loves being the center of attention. He rarely congratulates the winners, only offers up some lame excuse for his poor play..ad nauseum.

Make no mistake..It is all about Eldrick, all the time.

Love knows this and will think long and hard about surreptitiously conceding his Captaincy to Eldrick.

Certainly Tiger is one of the best golfers of all time (arguably the best) and has certainly earned his chance of being on the Ryder Cup team as a Captain's assistant and maybe Captain one day.  Having said that I voted no as I believe it is too early in his career.  But if Tiger thinks it is time to be a Captain's Assistant I don't take issue with that.

Edited by ghalfaire

Butch

Note: This thread is 3053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!