IGNORED

My Swing (sirhacksalot)

sirhacksalot
Note: This thread is 2600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: Seriously 1 year, before that probably 5 times in late teens early 20's
My current handicap index or average score is: 18.4 average mid 90's
My typical ball flight is: draw with short clubs, fade with long
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: fat shots 

Videos: 6 iron into the net

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Recommend you work on Key #1, the head does move a little to the right but more importantly you need to change HOW you make your backswing pivot. You need to "stretch" your right side more on the backswing to increase the amount that you turn. Shoulders and hips might feel like they work like a teeter totter, left goes down, right goes. "High" right hip at the top of the backswing would be another swing thought/feel. 

Screen_Shot_2015-10-13_at_8.30.19_PM.thu

Good videos for you to watch and implement. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Recommend you work on Key #1, the head does move a little to the right but more importantly you need to change HOW you make your backswing pivot. You need to "stretch" your right side more on the backswing to increase the amount that you turn. Shoulders and hips might feel like they work like a teeter totter, left goes down, right goes. "High" right hip at the top of the backswing would be another swing thought/feel. 

I struggle with turning which i thought was do to flexibility issues.  However i haven't heard "stretch"  & "teeter totter" before.  For some reason just practicing this without a club, focusing on my shoulders and the "feel," i seem to be able to "turn" alot further. I will work on it and post another video in a few days. 

Thanks again

"Details

First, if you haven't already, provide as much detail as possible. Share detail about your recent history, any past lessons you've had, any physical limitations you may have, the works. The more detailed information you can give us, the better."

I guess first things first is that my name is Charlie and I am 32 years old. I played a few rounds with a boss of mine with i was 18-19 but only a handful of times.  Last September I went with some guys from work and rented clubs and fell for the sport.  I have a loving wife and two children (son-3, daughter-1 1/2) that mean the world to be but finding a hobby that challenges me and gets me in nature for a few hours at a time has been fantastic.

So since September of last year '14 I have probably played 20-30 times and have practiced every other day if not more.  When I started I was absolutely horrible, Shooting in the 140's and using mulligans.

Bought a starter set from a driving range and took a few 30 min lessons. Improved to shooting high 50's low 60's 

Started club HOing with craigslist clubs (I still do this too) changed sets and trying to get a better feel.

Was suggested a different more expensive instructor took 3 lessons from her and got down to 100.  

Moved to our new house in March and started taking lessons from the local pro.  Have taken 5-6 lessons and played a lil golf with him in between. Have gotten down to shooting around 90 or better if only playing nine holes.  Have shot 43 on nine holes before.  41 on a back nine that i blew up the front.  

I don't feel like I am receiving bad lessons from him and what he has me doing on the range has helped alot.  I find myself sometimes being counter productive though by trying things out myself.  The videos above show a shorter swing I have been trying to have more consistent ball striking while playing.  I feel that my while with my instructor i can hit good shots over and over on the range but once i go to the course it all goes away.  

I read on here that good swings and bad swings are both consistent.  

I feel like I have two swings one that my swing coach can put me in very quickly on the range and the other is my go to nervous one on the course.

Positives from recent block of lessons and improvements this year though are much higher ball flight with my irons, smaller trajectory on approach shots. Better ball striking in general. More confidence with my short game.  Made my first birdie about a month ago and have made several since. Just not consecutively or in the same round.  :)

Trying to get a bit deeper with my backswing and focusing on Key #1 still have quite a bit of head movement.  The behind the line view were practice swings sorry but was really trying to see.  

I feel that the more I preload my wrists the shoulder turn is easier to get deeper. Is this a bad practice?

Preferable to get video with you hitting a ball, just advice for next time.

This is better with the turn, now just keep the head steady as you do it, make some practice swings with a stick/door/poll against your head. Take note of what you feel to accomplish it and take it with you when you practice.

sirhack_1.thumb.jpg.f8718c7be5fb1d3ab416

Will also help with this, which will be the next piece (Key #2).

sir_hack_2.thumb.jpg.fe9f500adb2ac508358

Mike McLoughlin

I was hitting wedges for the face on angles only the behind the line i wasn't hitting balls.  The flights were sporadic but that's to be expected. I didn't realize my feet were so wide either.  Won't be able to work on things to much this weekend but will def do a lot of stationary head swings, with door / mirror.

Is there anything wrong with preloading wrists early?

Is there anything wrong with preloading wrists early?

Probably more of a feel thing but it looks fine to me.

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 year later...
(edited)

here are some trackman numbers from september, i dont have current numbers and recently went back to using 3 and 4 hybrid dropping the 5 wood, 3 and 4 iron, adding 52, 56, and 60. The 5 wood was too close to the 3 wood numbers.  Have changed clubs but they are similar and i feel like my yardages are similar. 

averages in september.JPG

Edited by sirhacksalot
spelling

Note: This thread is 2600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!