IGNORED

What I Like About Being a 15HC

bmartin461
Note: This thread is 3112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I often think back to when I was first starting to get serious about golf and about how bad, I mean really bad, I was back then.  I remember going out with friends or invited by sales reps and just being awful.

But now, as a 15HC, I enjoy the following:

1. Being confident enough to play any course; desert style, mountain style, tight, wide, long, etc.
  2. Knowing on the first tee I will hit a decent drive that will go at least 230, even without a warm up bucket
  3. Not feeling like I have to practice putting first, before playing
  4. Putting for birdies and pars
  5. Confident standing in a bunker
  6. Confident with a 3W in my hand in the fairway
  7. Confident hitting over water
  8. Relaxed playing with others, even strangers
  9. Hitting GIRs
  10. The challenge of golf and wanting to improve

I'm sure as I continue to drop my index, this list will change, but for me, I'm enjoying where I am on this journey currently.

So, what do you enjoy about being the index you are right now?

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not a whole lot of difference in our handicaps but apparently there's a big difference in how we play. I can say that I'm not confident on tight courses or knowing my first drive is going to be decent. I'm not necessarily afraid of bunkers but I wouldn't say I'm confident. I don't have a 3w but that's precisely because I'm not confident with one. I haven't been afraid of hitting over water for a long time. The only thing I like about where I'm at now index/play wise is that I'm improving. I still throw away way too many shots per round from bad tee shots. My iron game has improved greatly though and I do feel confident with even a 4 iron in my hand.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I often think back to when I was first starting to get serious about golf and about how bad, I mean really bad, I was back then.  I remember going out with friends or invited by sales reps and just being awful.

But now, as a 15HC, I enjoy the following:

1. Being confident enough to play any course; desert style, mountain style, tight, wide, long, etc.
  2. Knowing on the first tee I will hit a decent drive that will go at least 230, even without a warm up bucket
  3. Not feeling like I have to practice putting first, before playing
  4. Putting for birdies and pars
  5. Confident standing in a bunker
  6. Confident with a 3W in my hand in the fairway
  7. Confident hitting over water
  9. Hitting GIRs

I'm sure as I continue to drop my index, this list will change, but for me, I'm enjoying where I am on this journey currently.

Same, except I'm an 11:

1. Being confident enough to play any course; desert style, mountain style, tight, wide, long, etc. (Playing the tips on golf courses with a nickname name like "Tierra Tooharda" without losing any balls. . .)
  2. Knowing on the first tee I will hit a decent drive that will go at least 230, even without a warm up bucket (Except when I hit a tree from pulling too hard right, or duff it. . .)
  3. Not feeling like I have to practice putting first, before playing (Better to practice putting, though. Otherwise, I end up with an extra putt on one of the first holes somewhere. . .)
  4. Putting for birdies and pars (only 5 or 6 times per round, usually from 50 feet or more :-P)
  5. Confident standing in a bunker (Except when the rim is 4 feet above my head)
  6. Confident with a 3W in my hand in the fairway (unless you're on a private course with lots of "features" with lies that make you choke up 6" or more or bend down 6" or more. . . :-P)
  7. Confident hitting over water (as long as it's less than 200 yards and no wind)
  9. Hitting at least 5 or 6 GIRs on normal courses.

Except where I added the bold, same. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What I like about being a 5 handicap. That I have a chance to still lower it. That as you improve your expectations adjust which makes you keep wanting to improve. That is more what I like about the game of golf. 

I really don't have specifics. Some of the things you listed are not really associated with all 15 handicap players in general. Like not practicing putting before the round, being confident in a bunker, or hitting it 230 yards. Those are things specific to you, which is good. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

As a 7.9 index, I enjoy the following:

1. Being confident enough to play any course as long as the effective playing length is not too severe.  Unless a course is playing firm or some other factor shortens the length, I know anything above 6,800 yards is going to severely challenge my game.
  2. Knowing on the first tee that I may not hit a decent drive but that by the end of the day, I will have hit my share of good tee shots.
  3. Knowing that I can competently putt most course's greens
  4. Putting for birdies
  5. Not concerned about about bunker play, having reached a degree of competency in the sand
  6. Not concerned with any club in my hand in the fairway
  7. Confident hitting over hazards and smart enough to layup when it makes sense 
  9. Confident if I can't hit a green in regulation that most times I have a decent chance to get up & down for par
  10. Confident that at the end of the day, there is a good chance I will be playing the same ball with which I started.
  11. The occasional look of disbelief when I pull off a very good shot or card an excellent round and the question follows, "You are a XX handicap???  Sandbagger!"

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

. Some of the things you listed are not really associated with all 15 handicap players in general. Like not practicing putting before the round, being confident in a bunker, or hitting it 230 yards. Those are things specific to you, which is good. 

Yes, I agree, the post was meant to convey what I like personally about where I am with my game, the index is there for reference.  I can tell you what I don't like right now is my short game, but I'm sure there are many in my range where that is a strong area of their game.

Ahhh golf!

Seems like your short game is not as bad as you think, since you have confidence in bunkers. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

At bogey golfer level, I find that even a mere 2 point difference in HI is significant. 

I would counter that at low HI level a 2 point difference is significant, at bogey level it's less significant. But I suppose it's just a matter of opinion. It is, however, OT to the discussion anyway.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

As a 17.7 I would say the following:

1. I am comfortable playing any course from the proper tees (typically the White or member tees)

2. Referencing #1, I know I have the ability to par most holes although I will likely par 5-6 holes in a good round

3. I normally hit most of my drives in play, but am not surprised to be OB or in a hazard off the tee a couple of times depending on the course

4. 3 putts are the exception, but they do happen

5. If I avoid a couple of blowup hole I have a reasonable shot at shooting in the high 80's

6. With the limited time that I have, I need to devote most of my practice time to the full swing and neglect the short game

7.  I would be thrilled to get my HI down to a 14 or better, but that will have to wait a couple of years when I should have more time to play. 

8.  When I play to my ability (86 - 90) I am thrilled until my next round

9. I am comfortable playing with golfers of any ability, but I will play from the proper tees for my game

As a 17.7 I would say the following:

1. I am comfortable playing any course from the proper tees (typically the White or member tees)

2. Referencing #1, I know I have the ability to par most holes although I will likely par 5-6 holes in a good round

3. I normally hit most of my drives in play, but am not surprised to be OB or in a hazard off the tee a couple of times depending on the course

4. 3 putts are the exception, but they do happen

5. If I avoid a couple of blowup hole I have a reasonable shot at shooting in the high 80's

6. With the limited time that I have, I need to devote most of my practice time to the full swing and neglect the short game

7.  I would be thrilled to get my HI down to a 14 or better, but that will have to wait a couple of years when I should have more time to play. 

8.  When I play to my ability (86 - 90) I am thrilled until my next round

9. I am comfortable playing with golfers of any ability, but I will play from the proper tees for my game

Now this is pretty much spot on how I feel about my abilities at my current HI. Except for neglecting the short game for me isn't about lack of time, it's just because I feel like I'll be much better off focusing on full swing a bit longer. And playing to my ability typically results in scores of 87-92 for 18 or 42-44 for 9.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I really like your post. I feel pretty much the same way. Key word is CONFIDENCE.

My driver and woods are sometimes erratic. But my irons, wedges and putting are very decent and I have total confidence there, even without warming up.

I can play with anyone anywhere and not make a fool of myself. That's a good feeling.

Thanks for sharing.

When I started the season, I had an 18.5 index... but I felt like I was playing closer to the level of a 20.0 index.  Where I had developed a somewhat competent swing with my driver over the past few years... I began 2015 with ZERO confidence in my ability to swing that club.  

Now... at a 16.8 index and feeling like I'm playing to that ability... I like:

1. Not caring about where I play or what tees I'm playing from.  As has been previously mentioned, as long as it's not extreme length... I can play from any set of tees and know that I'm going to still be able to keep it around my normal score range (90 - 98).

2. Knowing that when I tee up the ball, it's very likely going to be a solid strike... even if it may end up off my intended line.  I felt like I had driver yips early on this year... and I topped a bunch of balls that went absolutely nowhere and then left me feeling shaky on every tee.

3. Knowing that I'll have 4 or 5 holes each round where I'll walk off the green feeling good about how I played the previous hole.  I 'strive' to birdie at least 1 hole each round... but, I haven't made a single birdie in my last 4 rounds... so, if I can make a handful of pars each round and keep my big scores (triple bogey) limited to 1 or 2 a round... I'm happy at the end of the day.

4. Standing over a 40 yard shot from the fairway and feeling extremely confident that I'll stick it to within about 10 feet more often than not.  Outside of a smoked drive with a little draw on it... I find there to be no greater feeling in golf than perfectly nipping a fairly long pitch and watching it scream in low, hop once and absolutely STOP on a dime.  I pose... twirl the club and strut confidently to mark the ball or tap it in.  

5. Knowing that I've got a fairly good knowledge of my distances with each club and, outside of hitting it fat or thin (which happens a few times a round)... knowing that even if I'm well off-line, my distance is going to be pretty much spot on.  I still struggle with finding greens... but those that I miss are typically going to be pin-high and a little right.  If I'm left... it's usually a little long.  If I find the green... it's usually going to be right at the distance.  Buying a rangefinder earlier this season has really helped me to feel confident when selecting a club.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

14.5 handicap

1. That I can now actually plan how I want to play the hole and not how I hope to play the hole.

2. Knowing I can take different clubs in all sorts of lies and get back in position. 

3. Being confident that I can still score if a department of my game is off. When they're on you can go low for your handicap.

4. Triples are an aberration and not the norm.

5. No more fear around the greens.

6. Confident enough to play with all types of golfers and playing by myself.

7. Handicap travels well. Rarely play the same place all the time.

8. Simply the feeling of thinking and playing the game like a golfer should and not an occasional hacker.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

As a 7.9 index, I enjoy the following:

6. Not concerned with any club in my hand in the fairway

Hopefully I can share this opinion if or when I get down from 14. 

I still have a club or two that I try to avoid. Oddly enough it's the 6 and 7 iron. 

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

At bogey golfer level, I find that even a mere 2 point difference in HI is significant. 

I would counter that at low HI level a 2 point difference is significant, at bogey level it's less significant. But I suppose it's just a matter of opinion. It is, however, OT to the discussion anyway.

Very true, but the main difference is your tee shots are not as solid as that of a 15. While your distances are probably the same, having seen both of you in person, I can state that his drives are going to be more on the mark by let's say 25%.

Not a whole lot of difference in our handicaps but apparently there's a big difference in how we play. I can say that I'm not confident on tight courses or knowing my first drive is going to be decent. I'm not necessarily afraid of bunkers but I wouldn't say I'm confident. I don't have a 3w but that's precisely because I'm not confident with one. I haven't been afraid of hitting over water for a long time. The only thing I like about where I'm at now index/play wise is that I'm improving. I still throw away way too many shots per round from bad tee shots. My iron game has improved greatly though and I do feel confident with even a 4 iron in my hand.

These are possibly a couple of the reasons why you are an 18 and @bmartin461 is a 15.

Hopefully I can share this opinion if or when I get down from 14. 

I still have a club or two that I try to avoid. Oddly enough it's the 6 and 7 iron. 

Those are pretty useful clubs. . .What clubs do you use for approaches from 150 to 170 yards?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

OP, good post! I enjoy these quasi-philosophical discussions.

In a nutshell; I think my current index reflects an amateur, recreational approach to the game multiplied by time. Today (as compared to years ago) I feel confident that I can hit any shot that I can think of.

Thinking that I can and whether or not I do is a different story. But, I'll take a miss over a lack of confidence. In other words, I no longer worry about fat/thin, s-word, etc. Now I focus on Key 5, shot selection, the easiest way to get that GIR, etc.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Pretty significant, but could also just be the difference between driving 200 and 230 or longer approach shots?

I say even that is a significant difference.  30 yards difference in drive can mean 2 - 3 club difference with approach shot.   At HI 16.8 today, I feel I can get par or bogey on any hole at my home course (YMMV).   At 19 which I was at a few months ago, I didn't have that confidence.    At 15.3 like the OP's HI today, I don't know what I'd feel.   I will find out soon, hopefully.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!