IGNORED

elbows problems

altea
Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hoping that my story will stop guys from hurting themselves.

Started playing 4 years back at 46yo. After second year developed right GE (golf elbow) then left TE(tennis elbow). I’m convinced that was from not warming up and swinging too hard with arms. Stopped playing for 4 month, didn’t help. 2 cortisone shots on each elbow helped to play for another year. In April, pain stopped me from playing completely. Did PRP on right GE, made it much worse. Massages, CT cream, PT, done all of that, didn’t help. Couple days back, did surgery on left TE with PRP. Will see how it goes. Planning to do surgery on right GE in 8-10 weeks. 

Lessons learned - Warm up, stupid! Pay attention to proper technique! No cortisone shots, they only masks problems.

Where you by any chance hitting off of mats a lot? Even worse..mats that were sitting on concrete?  I ask that because I learned my lesson to never hit off of those things unless the ball is on a tee.  The club rebounding off of them is terrible for the wrists, neck and shoulders and I learned that lesson the hard way by screwing up both wrists and not being able to play for a year each time.  Hopefully you are healthy and back out there very soon after your surgery. 

Hoping that my story will stop guys from hurting themselves.

Started playing 4 years back at 46yo. After second year developed right GE (golf elbow) then left TE(tennis elbow). I’m convinced that was from not warming up and swinging too hard with arms. Stopped playing for 4 month, didn’t help. 2 cortisone shots on each elbow helped to play for another year. In April, pain stopped me from playing completely. Did PRP on right GE, made it much worse. Massages, CT cream, PT, done all of that, didn’t help. Couple days back, did surgery on left TE with PRP. Will see how it goes. Planning to do surgery on right GE in 8-10 weeks.

Lessons learned - Warm up, stupid! Pay attention to proper technique! No cortisone shots, they only masks problems.

I've been dealing with mild to severe GE/TE in my left elbow all year.  I'm curious what the surgery entails since it was my understanding that neither TE/GE are indicative of a tendon tear.  I've also read and been told that surgery is seldom necessary and was mostly to remove scar tissue from the tendon area but didn't involve re-attaching to strengthening the tendons, is that true?  

I have a very high pain tolerance so I've dealt with it by taking two Advil before a round, otherwise I live with the discomfort when I'm not playing.    

I hope the surgery works for you and you're back to playing soon.  Good luck. 

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

I have stayed to feel some left TE after I started doing a SK#3 drill. Hope OP answers.

Are you hitting off mats and/or locking elbows and not relaxed? 

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

8 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Are you hitting off mats and/or locking elbows and not relaxed? 

Not hitting off mats. The drill I was given was to hit chip shots while maintaining the flat left wrist and bent right well past impact to exaggerate the position. So my left elbow is locked because it is simulating the impact position.

Doug

2 hours ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

Not hitting off mats. The drill I was given was to hit chip shots while maintaining the flat left wrist and bent right well past impact to exaggerate the position. So my left elbow is locked because it is simulating the impact position.

Doug, Relax a bit. Do not need to lock elbows during swing or a drill. It's a drill. If it comes at the expense of playing, do not lock. I went through all this locking stuff a long time ago. Don't lock - stay relaxed, a slight bend is fine. Relax the muscles, very slight bend.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Not warming up will definately play a role. Having the arm locked straight will also put quite a shock on the joint especially off of mats as has been suggested.

The biggest problem however is that people let these things go on for too long to the point where something might actually even break. When you get the first symptoms of joint pain you should lower activity levels and apply ice for 30 minutes at a time atleast after activity. Throw in some nsaids and massaging and youd treat most cases very effectively.

• Upvote 1

I used this:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/pro-band-sports-pro-band-bandit-arm-band/217393936.html?listingid=156977840

and also flex exercises:

Arm straight in front of you, but not locked, and fingers pointing up to sky, using you other palm, bend back your fingers for 30 seconds. Bend your wrist so fingers face floor, take other hand, and bend back of hand towards you for 30 seconds. Do it a couple of times or so each day. It helps.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Update: Since surgery in mid October, I don’t feel pain in operated elbow, when swimming or swinging lightly. It still feels a bit fresh on touch where tendon was operated, doctor said it may take 6 month or longer to go away.

Going for my right elbow operation, hopefully by end of the month.

I did hit a lot from mats and this would be first thing I’d be careful about when return to golfing. Also switching to graphite shafts and game improving irons. Not straightening elbow is great tip, thanks!

2 hours ago, altea said:

Update: Since surgery in mid October, I don’t feel pain in operated elbow, when swimming or swinging lightly. It still feels a bit fresh on touch where tendon was operated, doctor said it may take 6 month or longer to go away.

Going for my right elbow operation, hopefully by end of the month.

I did hit a lot from mats and this would be first thing I’d be careful about when return to golfing. Also switching to graphite shafts and game improving irons. Not straightening elbow is great tip, thanks!

Good luck with the surgery and recovery. As you are recovering, look at UST Recoil Graphite - great feel, which some graphite lacks. They come in various weight and characteristics. I'd think with surgery, go as light as you are comfortable playing while maintaining consistency and flight. I've played 80g and now 95g. I do not hit off mats.

Note: This thread is 3034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!