IGNORED

UFC, mixed martial arts, boxing fans?

Clubswinger21
Note: This thread is 5965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im a huge fight fan, UFC is gaining some serious popularity around these parts. I realize its not for everyone but with the addition of all the Pride fighters its only going to get bigger and better.

Boxing is great aswell, unfortunately the boxing world is suffering right now from all the bogus promotional B.S. thats going on. And dont even get me started on the heavyweight division. The contender show has brought some purity back to the sport. And hopefully it will grow in to something more than a reality show.

Any other fight fans here?

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

UFC is great...wish more fights were on each PPV event. Love the Ultimate Fighter show. I've watched many UFC's since UFC 1, I like the formate today, to many short miss matches back in the day of UFC 1-5. Great entertainment that is not fake!

"Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and , for no reason at all, you really stink." -- Bob Hope

Driver:TM 09 Burner
3 & 5 Wood: Callaway BB War Bird
Irons: TM R7 3-PWWedges:Maxfli...

Being a former amateur-boxer, I'm a little biased on the topic but boxing definetly requires more athleticism and endurance and skill. Not saying that a boxer could get into the octagon and beat a UFC fighter in their own game, becuase it wouldn't happen. Boxing championship fights are 12 rounds, while UFC only 5 rounds. Plus, anyone can go into a ring and street fight. But it takes a special someone to get into the ring and slip and dodge punches and counter effectively. Boxing has stood the test of time, and at its core still has a devoted fan base. Just because there is not dominating American heavyweight, the sportis not in trouble.
In the Bag:
Driver: G10 7.5°; Fujikura 757 Speeder X-Stiff
3 Wood: 906F2 13°; UST Proforce V2 X-Stiff
5 Wood: 906F4 18.5°; UST Proforce V2 X-Stiff
Hybrid: Rapture 21°; Aldila VS Proto 80 Shaft X-StiffIrons: MP-60: 4-PW; Dynamic Gold S-400Wedges: Vokey Design Spin Milled: 54°, 60°

I feel the biggest negative about boxing today is the fact there have been numerous questionable decisions....some very questionable!!!!! Since the UFC president is also a fan he speaks out when a questionable decision is made. I've seen only two that I can remember. Bisping split decision over Hamill...Matt Hamill clearly won that fight....fight was held in England;Bisping home country (very questionable) And a week or so ago on Ultimate fighter...they gave a 2 round decision to a fighter when it should have went to round 3. Both decisions were quetioned by the UFC president. Never would see that in boxing! UFC rules!

"Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and , for no reason at all, you really stink." -- Bob Hope

I'm a huge fan. Been since UFC 8 or so..

Driver: SUMO 5000 8.5* w/ Aldila Proto-65 X 45.5"
3-wood: SQ w/ Diamana 83 X +1"
Hybrid: SuMo 2h w/ Project X +1"
Irons: MP-33 1-PW w/ TT X100 Sensicore +1"
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone watch Saturday Nights event? Thoughts? I thought Evans was gassed and got a favorable decission, could of went either way. Was not a real memorable UFC Event for me. First 3 fights were very one sided. What the hell with Houston Alexander? He was over matched too soon! And who was that slug that Joe from Mass got to fight? Dana needs to get better cards if he wants people to continue spending $40! Please chime in.

I love watching and a fan of Carlos Conte, the natural born killer. I am enjoying mixed martial arts fighting over boxing now.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Do I like MMA (not ultimate fighting god that annoys me!)...Do I like boxing?...hmm..

I started off as a wrestler @ the age of 8, started boxing in HS and the Navy, started learning BJJ while training with the seals... Long story short, hell yes! I love MMA! I live MMA! I Moderate/Smod @ several boards for MMA. I was training up till a few years ago ($$'s got too much 140 a month is alot!)..
Anyways, I'm an MMA addict, since UFC 1 in 92. I still try to spar as much as I can, although I haven't been able to due to my back issues...

Anyways, these pics are from UFC 78, the 1 is me and Pete Sell, and the other is the Rashad vs Bisping fight (boring!). the 3rd shows how close we were to the cage! 7 rows baby! Oh for the record, notice my hat..It's my Oddyssey putter hat! LOL

I can go on and on and on about MMA! If you want me to get hyped up.. talk about mmA!

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

Hey RIPSID::Nice pics...nice tat on your left arm...What was up with the refs?? Does NJ have a union on Refs? Where were Big John and the rest? And what the hell with seperating guys when there was still action? That one ref almost cost Ed Herman the fight! Any way...sure it was great to be there...but the card was some what boring. Did you see the stoppage for bleeding? PPV only showed 6 fights...we got the 4 main fights plus Ed Herman & little Joe Lo. Pulling for which Matt in December? I personally don't care, just want to see a great fight.

Thanks, 100% the best fight was the Chris Lytle V Thiago Alves fight! we were 7 rows fromt he cage and every punch, every kick, every movement made was felt and heard like I've never heard in a fight before! I've been to several MMA Events (this was my 1st UFC) and no other fights that night or any other night had the quality of strikes that that 1 fight had! Holy S**T every kick Thiago threw hit and just echoed throughout the arena! The cut was bad but he could have kept fighting, it didn't get worse after the 2nd round. Guaranteed that when this rematch takes place, it's higher on the PPV card! Awesome!

As far as the refs go, the big bald guy I've seen him ref 2 other MMA events and he's a pretty good ref considering. I think Big john may have been at the Strikeforce show in San Jose (you can watch it on yahoo.com mma section. Watch the 1st fight Salmon v Santiago HOLY SHNIKIES! 30secs and done! Amazing! I was surprised that Big John wasn't there nor the other regulars ie: marioi Yamasaspellthatname, yves edwards . I do believe that NJ likes to have there refs ref NJ fights. but it could have been due to the other show.

We missed the end to the Herman fight we were in mens room ;) too much beer! LOL but we saw where it almost ended with the arm bar by doerkson at the end of the 2nd, ran in ran out it was over! My bro's wife was like wow you missed a great one.. no worries I'll DL thePPV and watch it. LOL

Overall it's awesome to be at the events! The fights were ok, not what we wanted but hell it's been 2+ years since the UFC was in NJ. Rashad v Bisping was dissapointing! Karo obviously didn't show up ready even though he won.. Again, Lytle was the best fight!

And thanks about the work on my arm, I'm hoping to get the flames colored in in the next week or so. 1 step closer to finishing my 3/4.

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

Being a former amateur-boxer, I'm a little biased on the topic but boxing definetly requires more athleticism and endurance and skill. Not saying that a boxer could get into the octagon and beat a UFC fighter in their own game, becuase it wouldn't happen. Boxing championship fights are 12 rounds, while UFC only 5 rounds. Plus, anyone can go into a ring and street fight. But it takes a special someone to get into the ring and slip and dodge punches and counter effectively. Boxing has stood the test of time, and at its core still has a devoted fan base. Just because there is not dominating American heavyweight, the sportis not in trouble.

I never said boxing was in trouble, i said it was suffering right now. You see HBO boxing after dark has gone worldwide now and are now promoting international fights. You have De la hoya now promoting with golden boy productions and Sugar Ray promoting with his contender fighters. No one wants to fight anymore cuz of bogus decisions. Too much corruption in the sport has become some what of a joke in america (in my oppinnion). Too many belts and too many weight classes also add confusion to the mix. And dont even get me started on the once upon a time flourishing heavy weight division. When a 50 yearold Evander Holyfield can still compete in the division you know something is wrong. That said, you're right boxing is not in trouble (aside from the heavyweight division)

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I expected a boring fight on saturday, and it lived up to it's expectations..

All I can say, is that I can't believe how calm Houston Alexander was.. the guy is an animal, and he came out and did nothing..

Oh well.. UFC 79 will be MUCH better!

Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

I love MMA. My cousin fights in the UFC so I have paid quite a bit of attention to it for the last few years.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

I love MMA. My cousin fights in the UFC so I have paid quite a bit of attention to it for the last few years.

Who's your cousin?

Son tells me Matt Serra has withdrawn from next UFC, has a back issue, disc pull or something. I guess Hughes is now fighting GSP again! Anyone else hear this?

Son tells me Matt Serra has withdrawn from next UFC, has a back issue, disc pull or something. I guess Hughes is now fighting GSP again! Anyone else hear this?

It's been official for about a week..

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid;=8833

As much as I love boxing, it's much more difficult to be a MMA fighter. As a boxer, defensively, you only have to be worried about getting hit from the belly button on up and can focus on the middle torso. That's not the case in MMA. Plus, the fighters, at every weight class, are in tremendous shape. That's definitely not the case in boxing, regardless of weight class.

The one thing that kills boxing is that you must pay these huge sanctioning fees to make a fight happen. Boxers rather give up the belts than pay this ransom. Face the facts, that's what these fees are. Secondly, there are just too many sanctioning bodies. WBO, IBF, WBC, WBA, etc. Lastly, great boxers fight once a year, twice, if we're lucky. Lately, great fights are getting made. Pacquio/JMM, Mosley/Cotto, DLH/Mayweather, Mayweather/Hatton, just to name a few. Sadly, I don't believe that will last, though.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 5965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!