IGNORED

What's your best advice for playing golf in cold weather?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now that we're into Fall golf season, what are your best tips to stay warm and dry when playing golf during this time of year?

Do you walk instead of taking a cart, use hand warmers, wear thermal layers? What kind of rain gear do you use?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't play golf when it really gets cold - I just can't get my muscles loose, and end up feeling really sore through torso when I get done. About as low as I will go is 35° F and sunny or 45° F and overcast.

For those days, I'll wear a Champions body layer with high, mock-turtle collar, a wool pullover sweater, and a wind shirt or a fleece shirt. I really don't like zippers and rigid sewn seams on upper body. I'll wear lined athletic slacks on lower body, and probably wool socks. For gloves, I usually just add a golf glove to the right hand too. On the head, I'll wear either a wool Hogan cap, or an UnderArmour sock cap.

When it's chilly, I really try to get 10 minutes on the elliptical machine en route to the course, to warm up the muscles.

IF it's cold, I mostly try to catch up on my gym workouts, and get odd jobs out of the way so that when March and the sun return, I can start next year's season. One thing: Get income tax done by mid-February.

My wife and I are starting to take a spring break (March) in Myrtle Beach, which launches the golf season for us.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

It is already getting cold here in New England. I wear light layers. I don't like bulky tops so I will wear an undershirt (short or long sleeve depending on temp) and a long sleeve top. When it gets below 40, the top will switch to fleece. For wind, I will wear my rain top with a warm long sleeve thermal undershirt.

I don't get that cold once I start playing. I will wear a thin layer glove to start, but usually I warm up enough to ditch the gloves. 

I picked up a Nike cold weather hat with a brim and fold down ear covers, which is great for below 45F. Stocking hats are warm, but don't block out the sun, which is usually low in the sky and can blind you during shots. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

When playing in really cold weather, as in 32 or below, I'm usually fine with wearing a winter hat, my sweater thing which is also water resistant, and my rain pants as they are lined on the inside for added warmth.  I usually look weird, because I'll tuck my sweater into the rain pants to keep myself even warmer.  I'll definitely walk this time of year too.  I use the FJ wintersof gloves and play with soft core golf balls.  Skulling a hard ball is no fun in cold weather.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I always walk, and I have pair of cooking mittens that I wear over my golf gloves. The walking keeps most of my body warm,  and the mittens keep my hands warm between shots. That said the only time it gets cold around here is when we get a north wind with a low chill factor. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Dress in layers, UA Cold Gear fitted or compression long sleeve shirt is a great first layer.  Will typically wear a long sleeve polo shirt over that and a rain / wind vest or sweater to keep my arms free.  I also wear thin hunting socks that go up my calf to keep my feet and lower legs warm.  On really cold days I'll ditch the traditional golf hat for a UA beanie.

I tried wearing two gloves but couldn't get used to it, I'll try again this year but not hopeful it will be any better.

I always warm up and stretch more in the colder weather to avoid injury.  I'll also walk more to stay loose.

Edited by newtogolf

Joe Paradiso

I layer up with a UA compression top as my base layer. My polo goes over that then I throw a FJ sweater on top. If its really cold I can add my Adidas rain jacket. Even with all that I can still swing freely. My legs dont really get to cold but I have worn long johns under everything while playing. Here in Ohio you have to do everything you can to squeeze out those last few rounds. As for rain gear I bought Adidas pants and jacket while in Myrtle Beach this spring and they work great. There not gor-tex but works good enough. 

I recommend petrol/synthétique underwear/underskins and good high socks.

underpants in winter are great. your legs are warms and they heat the whole body a lot. therefore less layers on top and a more free swing. legs are important to heat as they are a big area of contact to cold air and dispersion of body heat. the good thing is legs being dressed a lot does not harm your swing as much as the top of body overdressed.

I get great equipment in the snowboard/ski area in sports shops. also athletic running area is great in winter. these guys want to stay light and warm.

I use thin and hot under pants as well as the high part body underware. 

Cant give up on that stuff since I've tried it. I even use it on the job so i stay in pants and shirts even in total winter. maybe a light sweater here and there.

the stuff smells bad fast, wash it daily. anything close to the skin will warm you but collect microbes fast. get 2-3 pairs at least of each to turn stock.

then a good and light wind breaker is a good isolation wind or not. again the ruling section is great they have stuff that makes no friction noise and straps are available on arms, bottom and neck to close ti all well.

Edited by bubble

Now that we're into Fall golf season, what are your best tips to stay warm and dry when playing golf during this time of year?

Do you walk instead of taking a cart, use hand warmers, wear thermal layers? What kind of rain gear do you use?

Play on the PC or console until spring. :-D

Don't.  Just wait until the afternoon when it warms up. :-P

Yup.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I moved to Phx ... so what is this cold weather you speak of???

However, when I do play in the "cold" its the hands I have to keep warm ... my hands get cold, I done.  Hand warms are a must for me. That and thermal underwear ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

1.Thermal underwear

2.Outer layer is all black.

3. Foot powder in the shoes. (any perspiration from the feet will freeze those toes up quick)

4.Hand warmers

5.Neck warmer (basically a big headband-like piece that fits around the neck)

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

First time playing in the cold today 43 degrees with no sun and very light rain in ne Ohio. I wore 3 layers for shirt , golf pants , heavy thick socks,  and a winter hat , I also bought winter golf gloves at the course . and goto saysay, i still froze. Especially my hands . and i had a real hard time hitting the ball. It felt like I was hitting a rock with my club. But it was still fun. 

Walk. Bring a left and right hand glove (even if you don't normally wear one). Wear enough layers to keep you warm for when you first get there, but light enough to remove once you've warmed up.

Most of all... appreciate the fact that you'll have most of the course to yourself because most people aren't obsessed with the game enough to endure the cold as you are. Remember, your days are numbered before playing in the cold won't be an option.

I have a 9:12 tee time tomorrow, the Fall colors are peaking, and this is what the weather will be like...

Screen-Shot-2015-10-17-at-7.43.27-PM.thu

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

Peppermint schnapps!!!

So....   I was typing "Fireball Shots" then I scrolled up...  Cinnamon Whiskey vs. Peppermint Schnapps ...  okay... compromise shall we? Cinnamon Schnapps it is... Goldschlager anyone???

:beer:

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

So....   I was typing "Fireball Shots" then I scrolled up...  Cinnamon Whiskey vs. Peppermint Schnapps ...  okay... compromise shall we? Cinnamon Schnapps it is... Goldschlager anyone???

:beer:

Sounds good to me!

I prefer to walk. I used to have a pair of fleece lined Nike pants that were water proof, those were great. Hand warmers in ski mittens in between shots. Anything to make sure you are dry.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 3084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!