IGNORED

Building a new set

WillM
Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am headed to the Titleist Oceanside facility next Tuesday to get fitted for a whole new set of clubs. Very excited to head down there!

Anyway, I am posting to get some input on my bag setup.

Obviously I am going to get a driver and a 3 wood. I also prefer to play a 5-wood replacement hybrid so I will be doing that as well.

It gets messy starting at the 3-iron. I hit my 3-iron well and really like hitting it off the tee because I hit a lower than average ball flight so it runs out to about 220-230. However, when playing long courses with long par 3s it can be difficult to hold the green because I don't hit the iron high enough. Thus, I am thinking about going with a hybrid but then it will go sky high off the tee compared to the low iron I like to hit. So I am torn, what do you think I should do?

From that point I think I am going to do a split set between the new CBs (4-6) and MBs (7-9) and finish off the bag with three Vokey wedges and my Edel putter. Again though, asking for input on the iron set... Do many people play a split set? Or should I just go with a full set of CBs or AP2s?

Regardless, I am super excited to get the chance to be fitted at the Titleist place and I am sure that the fitters there will have some good input as well.

:titleist::vokey::edel:

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

Get the 3 iron AND the hybrid and switch them out depending on the course you are playing until you can hit the shots you want with one or the other.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Why do you have to decide all this BEFORE the fitting?  This should all be stuff you can discover there with the help of your fitter.  If you're springing for the full service at the Titleist headquarters you should use it.  For instance they will probably be able to assemble a 3 hybrid or driving iron with specs that give you the best of both worlds.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I am headed to the Titleist Oceanside facility next Tuesday to get fitted for a whole new set of clubs. Very excited to head down there!

Obviously I am going to get a driver and a 3 wood. I also prefer to play a 5-wood replacement hybrid so I will be doing that as well.

It gets messy starting at the 3-iron. I hit my 3-iron well and really like hitting it off the tee because I hit a lower than average ball flight so it runs out to about 220-230. However, when playing long courses with long par 3s it can be difficult to hold the green because I don't hit the iron high enough. Thus, I am thinking about going with a hybrid but then it will go sky high off the tee compared to the low iron I like to hit. So I am torn, what do you think I should do?

From that point I think I am going to do a split set between the new CBs (4-6) and MBs (7-9) and finish off the bag with three Vokey wedges and my Edel putter. Again though, asking for input on the iron set... Do many people play a split set? Or should I just go with a full set of CBs or AP2s?

Regardless, I am super excited to get the chance to be fitted at the Titleist place and I am sure that the fitters there will have some good input as well.

Could you take some photos and tell us of your experience after?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@WillM The fitting may help but ultimately it would be up to you.  Confidence is king, but at the same time, which shot would be more important to you and more beneficial?  Could you hit the hybrid off the tee to get similar results as your 3 iron?  Could you flight it a little lower if you wanted to keep it low?  Maybe hit a little 3 wood stinger that would be as consistent and put you in the fairway like your 3 iron does now?

I honestly think at the collegiate level (I think I saw that you were playing in college) that having a shot on those long par 3's that can hold the green is a must, especially when playing courses with hard fast greens.  As you are well aware, you run into a lot of par 3's that are 200-235.  Having the ability to hold those greens could mean picking up a birdie or two or a shot on the field.

Either way, you seem to have the game and the knowledge and I'm sure you will make a sound decision based on your game.  Good luck in your season and keep us posted on your experience at the fitter.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

WillM- the guys at the Oceanside facility are the best in the world. Trust them. But share your thoughts and ideas, as well. As a team, you'll get the best equipment for your game. No doubt.

I hope you start another thread to share your experience. That would be an interesting read.

Good luck and enjoy.

I think, as others have stated that you go through the process of the fitting and find what works best there.  Its always best to go in without any biased opinions about what shaft, clubs, or makeup for your set. I have had numerous people that were dead set on getting stiff shafted irons.  They clearly weren't the best fit for them but they couldn't get it out of their head.  Just go in open minded!  

In regards to what irons to get, have them show you the new TT AFT Shaft it makes it so your low irons are able to be flighted and your higher irons can be hit high and soft, so that could possibly solve your 3-iron  issue on its own!  

• Upvote 1

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

Why do you have to decide all this BEFORE the fitting?  This should all be stuff you can discover there with the help of your fitter.  If you're springing for the full service at the Titleist headquarters you should use it.  For instance they will probably be able to assemble a 3 hybrid or driving iron with specs that give you the best of both worlds.

Probably true! I am just an overthinker... aren't we all guilty of that at some point in our golfing lives? Haha :)

Could you take some photos and tell us of your experience after?

Absolutely I will. I'll probably start a new thread on it since I haven't found one on here...

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am sure that the Titleist guys will be able to help me out a lot. I will keep you posted.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

Don't see any issue of having a think before hand of what set up you want to have. Will be good for the conversation between you and the fitter. I thinks it's more of being a bit open minded when you do go in that what you have thought might not be the best set up and being happy with changing on what you originally wanted. 

But at the end of the day enjoy the experience. 

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

Why are you bothering going for a fitting if you are nmaking up your mind what you want before you even go?

How do you know a Cb?Mb split is right for you.

And it is NOT obvious that you'll get a driver and a 3 wood. You might want a 4 wood. You might get no fairway woods.

Just let the fitters and computers do the work.

And.........apart from that, why would people here who don't know you have a clue what would suit you?

Just do the fitting.

As for the bit in bold, I daresay they'd have more than "some good" input.

Let's just hope they don';t read your post.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Furthermore, how do you play? Handicap? If it is posted, I cannot see it via mobile. I would recommend the D4 driver and AP2 irons but again I don't know how you play. The 716s look pretty sweet.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

@WillM,
Worried about hybrid shots ballooning? Go with a pro head - more weight-forward COG - and try different shafts. Hybrid shafts have a variety of launch profiles these days. As of H or 3i...

Get the 3 iron AND the hybrid and switch them out depending on the course you are playing until you can hit the shots you want with one or the other.

Edited by iacas
Fixed @mention

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!