IGNORED

Heavy sanding of greens

dazza78
Note: This thread is 3076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My course has been heavily sanded, and as a newbie.. I am not sure what the purpose of it is.  I imagine it's for winter, but how exactly does it protect the green?

Was it aerified first? If so, sand is used to fill the holes. That changes the soil profile, and allows air water and fertilizer to get to the roots. The sand also helps smooth the greens when applied properly, and draged in. Our course aerified using smaller tines, and did several light top derssings, and the greens recovered much faster vs the traditional way of doing one heavy top dressing following aerification.

• Upvote 1

I played a course the other week, where they claimed to have aerated just four days ago using some sort of machine that micro-perforated the greens.There was sand but no noticeable holes. On that day, the greens rolled really slowly, but were very true.

On the other hand, the home course punched them three weeks ago and they are still horrible. Putting yesterday was like trying to roll a ball down a porcupine's back. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played a course the other week, where they claimed to have aerated just four days ago using some sort of machine that micro-perforated the greens.There was sand but no noticeable holes. On that day, the greens rolled really slowly, but were very true.

On the other hand, the home course punched them three weeks ago and they are still horrible. Putting yesterday was like trying to roll a ball down a porcupine's back. 

I hear you the last two times I've played were the day after they punched the Greens and the day they were punching the fairways...a couple weeks earlier I played a tournament four days after they punched the fairways on a different course It was almost better to hit out of the ruff stuff.  Gotta love this time of year.

Good, I thought it was just my home course that does the heavy sanding.   My club does this once a year for aerating the greens. (Other times in the year, they do lighter version of aeration without so much sand.)  When they do the heavy sanding, I can't see any green spot on green for the 1st few days and we have to play elsewhere.   The effect of the heavy sanding lasts for 3 weeks as the sand gradually recede.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

This is interesting.  Just played a round on a course on the NC coastal region.  The greens were heavily sanded, but I didn't see any aeration holes or plugs.  The greens were Bermuda grass. Not saying they weren't aerated, just didn't seen any plug marks, big or small.

The result was ROCK HARD greens that putted like a granite counter top.  These were the quickest greens I've seen since playing Firestone South where the big boys play the Bridgestone Invitational.

dave  

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I've had courses sand greens later in the day after heavy traffic just to smooth them out. I also always had the experience of sanding causing putts to play extremely fast, which was a counter-intuitive mistake you only make once, haha. That led to an unfortunate case where the 18th got sanded right before we hit into it, and I overcautiously 3 putted my very nice eagle putt. In summary, I hate sanded greens.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!