IGNORED

Interesting Ruling(s) Re: Water Hazards at Conference Championship

iacas
Note: This thread is 3098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I agree the 'breaks down' definition / rule is pretty vague & murkily worded. But, wasn't the likely intent behind that to mean 'top of the bank' bordering the exposed water versus 'top of the hill / slope'? Water hazard banks are usually low & close to the water, but may in some spots (along streams) be higher and further from the water's edge. It could have been implemented a bit like the bunker rule at Pinehurst where some of the borders were vague and might require a ruling, but most would be pretty clear.

I'm sure that's probably what the intent was, but they applied it to any hill next to a water hazard, some of which as I've illustrated were 20+ feet away and only up a gentle hill.

The water levels were pretty obviously normal and the "edge" of the hazard would have sufficed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Late to this conversation, but certainly the AMCC has a competition committee to which you could complain.  I certainly would.

They don't. They had a pair of rules officials on hand, both quite well experienced, who saw no problem with the idea that the margin of the hazard was almost randomly placed depending on who hit what kind of shot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They don't. They had a pair of rules officials on hand, both quite well experienced, who saw no problem with the idea that the margin of the hazard was almost randomly placed depending on who hit what kind of shot.

Demonstrating that experienced and competent are not the same thing.

We wonder why so many people are so casual or ignorant about rules and then we see this kind of thing, perpetrated amongst the best of the upcoming generation, and it all makes (non)sense.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!