IGNORED

Shaft Question? should I keep stiff shafted W&H

wasilvers
Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing regular shaft clubs since I started.  This year I worked up to some higher swing speeds. From what I read online I'm right between a Regular and Stiff.  The problem I have is I have a 4H I really like, but when I get behind it well, it goes high, but somewhat inaccurate.  I wanted a 3H and 3W - so like a rookie, I ordered some Adams Super S with stiff shafts.  I hit them today at the range and  they did ok.  They were normal height and straight when I swung hard into them. But my normal swing was same distance as my current one, straight, but not as high (doubt I'd stick a green with them).  There were high winds today.   Problem is, I'm not sure I like swinging fairly hard every time.   I plan on increasing my swing speed, and working on better form next year.  Should I keep them and grow into them, longer is better?  Or go with regular shafts and what I have is what I have?

Some facts: never been on a launch monitor or know exact swing speed but my 7 iron is 160, my 9 with a stronger swing is 140+ but clears 150 if I get behind it

Distances for comparison: regular flex 3W 240, 3H 220, 4H 195 & Stiff flex getting into them for good ball flight, 3W 250+, 3H 240, 4H 220 

Edited by wasilvers
sentence read stupidly

I'd stick with the stiff shafts. If this was just your first range session with them then I wouldn't expect you to be hitting them good straight away. 

I changed my driver about a month ago, and only just this weekend am I getting consistent results with it. It's the same with all new equipment you hit some good ones and some shockers. At least give it a few more range sessions to see how you get used to them. 

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

• 3 weeks later...

OP here, as a followup if anyone finds this thread via search.  Kept the clubs and I played a few rounds with them - they are coming around.  I can get the 3 wood long and straight, if slightly low.  I got a few hybrid shots in today, and they stuck within a foot of where they hit, one was pretty high and actually rolled backwards a bit.   I actually feel more comfortable with the new clubs now than my old ones.

Thanks for the advice garush34

I really would worry more about your swing than the shaft. If the quality of the shaft is good, the flex doesn't make that much difference in overall performance. I swing with a 95 MPH SS and use an A-flex with my driver. The difference is 75 RPM total spin. I've tried a "S" flex in it and it felt like a board. I prefer a softer flex. The shaft in the club is about feel.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a fast transition and am finding that without the stiffer flex, I have greater dispersion.  It is true about the swing fixes.  I am working on it - and will be working on it till I die (I'm sure).  As I get my swing closer to straight, my shot trajectory and distance are improving greatly.  I just forget sometimes and try to kill the ball, then it all goes downhill fast.

Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!