IGNORED

Tour Balls Make Short Game Worse?

Note: This thread is 3105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So what I have been thinking lately is that tour balls may actually make my short game worse and therefore make my scores worse.

I have searched to see if others have found this but I have had limited results. So I thought I'd start a thread and see if anyone else has experienced this so that maybe we can start getting this idea to high handicappers/inconsistent golfers. 

I developed this idea this season when I started shooting lower scores and therefore started trying out some tour balls for my improving game. What I found was that these balls seemed to make my game worse. And I am not talking about shorter distance off the tee or too much spin on a tilted spin axis (sidespin) making hooks and slices worse. 

What I found was that the spin I would get around the green was inconsistent. With short chips and pitches I would get spin that made the ball check up when I struck the ball perfectly but then I wouldn't get it when I was a little bit off. This lead to some shots stopping quick many feet short or some releasing past the hole. So basically my inconsistent strikes made for inconsistent spin/check/performance leaving some balls short or some long.

Now I when I use cheaper 2 piece surlyn covered balls I know they are not going to spin much on these shorts whether I strike them perfectly or not so I can always play for them to release and roll out. Therefore all my shots roll out leading to a closer dispersion around the pin.

I know that if I practiced i could improve my striking and probably get more consistent spin with tour balls. However I don't believe I have the knowledge, patience, time, or even desire to practice that much and perfect my short game. So my plan is to play the "more forgiving" 2 piece surlyn covered balls. 

Anyone else experience this or think it's an interesting idea?

I think being able to read the lie is really the issue here. The amount of club you can get on the ball will effect the spin more drastically than a surlyn ball but the results are worth it. Use the tour balls often enough and this will become second nature.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What you gain in one area you give up in another.  I understand the consistent release you get from chips.  However, your approach shots will suffer with a ball  that will not spin and hold the green.  If you constantly play soft greens, you may get away with it.  But you're going to reach a plateau you can not cross if you can't hold greens.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

If continued use doesn't get you more used to the ball behavior as @SavvySwede suggests then you could shift to chipping more off the toe of the club to deaden the spin (less groove contact) on those shots, but still get the benefit of the added spin from softer cover on approach shots.

Kevin

Those are both very good comments. Judging of the lie is an example of the knowledge I believe I and many weekend or high handicap golfers are currently lacking. And I have not been able to compare the differences with approach shots (cause I'm pretty inconsistent with those) but this is one aspect where I feel my theory may crumble. But clubbing a for the front of the green usually leads to descent results for my skill level and expectations.

I think you're just used to the other balls. Typically the tour balls will perform better around the greens, more control, more predictable bounces/roll out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I think you're just used to the other balls. Typically the tour balls will perform better around the greens, more control, more predictable bounces/roll out.

I would definitely agree with this but I don't think it tells the whole story.

For example I've played quite a few holes where I have had what I see as very straight forward pitches. Not expecting the grab I play them for roll out but the tour ball checks up. Then I will have a similar straight forward pitch 2 holes later and I'll play for the spin but I'll strike it a little bit off so the ball ends up rolling past the pin. 

I am saying that tour balls only give you more control if you have ample control of your short game. 

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/fred-couples-feel

This is an article about Boom Boom's bunker approach. Basically he says he stopped try to get cute and spin his bunker shots (unless he absolutely has to for a tight pin) but instead he just chunks it and lets it run so that he knows what to expect every time, even if he is a little off. 

I know a number of high handicap players who play a Tour ball (mostly Pro V1) because they believe it will help their shortgame. The problem is the only way to help your shortgame us to simply work on your shortgame. They have the idea that because the good players can get the ball to spin back then they can so yhey fly the ball to the pin expecting to have the ball spin back and it rarely/never happens.

As a high handicap myself ive always believed it best to land chips/pitches short and let it run out. Use the old K.I.S.S method untill you are capable of using a tour ball to its full advantage.

Ive never playe a tour ball, Summer its Callaway HX hot or CXR controls and winter a dumb 2 piece dunlop!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Not really. 

For example I've played quite a few holes where I have had what I see as very straight forward pitches. Not expecting the grab I play them for roll out but the tour ball checks up. Then I will have a similar straight forward pitch 2 holes later and I'll play for the spin but I'll strike it a little bit off so the ball ends up rolling past the pin. 

Typically a tour ball doesn't react that way. If I have a standard pitch shot from the fairway I can assume 3 options. 

1. I hit the ball slightly fat and it just comes out higher with less spin so it rolls out. Typically this ends up a few feet shorter than I intend. 

2. I hit the ball slightly thin and it travels lower, bounces hard but has much more spin and checks.

3. I hit the ball good and it usually takes it's bounce on the green and has a bit of spin to slow it down and it typically runs out a little bit. 

Now another option you might not consider is softness of the greens. I play on a course were one green might be slightly elevated and have the sun backing it. While another sits down and has a ton of shade. One green will be much softer than the other. This can effect first how much bounce you get. Second the softer the green the more spin will influence how the ball rolls out or spins back. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

I don't really agree with that.

I've seen the 9-handicapper or higher golfer occasionally hit a shot flush and have the ball spin and grab 25 feet short of the pin when they're expecting their usual roll-out.

$25/dozen balls react the same more often than a Tour ball… when contact isn't always the same. A Tour ball with a scruffy lie can roll out, but if you catch it cleanly, it grabs. That's unpredictable to people who don't:

• Know how to read the lie
  • Know how solidly/crisply/etc. they'll strike the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't really agree with that.

I've seen the 9-handicapper or higher golfer occasionally hit a shot flush and have the ball spin and grab 25 feet short of the pin when they're expecting their usual roll-out.

$25/dozen balls react the same more often than a Tour ball… when contact isn't always the same. A Tour ball with a scruffy lie can roll out, but if you catch it cleanly, it grabs. That's unpredictable to people who don't:

This is a very straightforward explanation for some of the reasons that I do not play a tour ball - I do not have the consistent swing and can control a lower spin ball much easier.  On approach shots, even a 17 HCP like myself can get the ball to sometimes stop, which for me just means that I have to take a longer club - and then it may roll out way past the pin.

never have seen my short game get worst with tour balls. I have 6 very used proviwans in my bag reserved for the chipping pitching area. try to get the max spin out of them and grind that white cover so it makes my wedges.

it's my global game that is worst with tour balls.

By that I mean that I'm not consistant enough to get performance out of tour balls. I do hit pretty far, like 165 with an 8 iron, but thats not fast enough for tour balls.

So I play NXT or things like that at best. Shots are more often solid and have the distance needed.

I play tour balls on pitch and putt courses though.

So what I have been thinking lately is that tour balls may actually make my short game worse and therefore make my scores worse.

I have the opposite experience.  With tour balls (typically more spin), I lose distance but gain in short game.   The ball spins off the greens less on chipping, and pitching.   I can get closer to the hole more consistently.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Ok, I can see how that makes sense with the contact bit. I was thinking about when we were playing the alternate shot with the purple Top-Flite ball and accounted for a little more roll out with the short shots.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

This is exactly what I was trying to say. This is what I have experienced due to inconsistent ball striking and lack of knowledge reading lies. 

I would say without a doubt that if you know how to use tour balls and can hit the shot as you see it pretty regularly then they provide much more control around the green. Unfortunately we don't all have those skills.

So I play NXT or things like that at best. Shots are more often solid and have the distance needed.

I like NXTs.  I hit longer, and the ball is good for short game, too.   For tournament at my home course, I use E6 though.   I need to keep them straight to avoid trouble. 

Tour ball tends to have lower trajectory flight.  I use them if I am having trouble keeping my ball trajectory down.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

it's my global game that is worst with tour balls.

By that I mean that I'm not consistant enough to get performance out of tour balls. I do hit pretty far, like 165 with an 8 iron, but thats not fast enough for tour balls.

I hit my 8 iron around 140 yards.  I only play tour balls.  They check up quite nicely with that swing speed.

To be able to be consistent with tour balls when chipping, you must practice.  My guess is you are using too much wrist in your chips or at least varying the amount of wrists you use.  Try practicing your chips without wrist action.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I don't play for spin, so I'm fine with not using a grabby tour ball.     My 2 best rounds of the year (79's) were with a bright orange Wilson Smart Core.   I do admit I like the feel of a Pro-V1 with a driver - there is something tactile with that ball off a driver.    Conversely, I don't like the feel of the PRo-V1 off a putter - feels mushy & sounds like a thud - no click to it at all.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!