IGNORED

Winter training

uitar9
Note: This thread is 2900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looks like one more week to get a round in-Munis are closing next week-It's been an awesome season for me-50 plus rounds-late october , no snow.

I've got access to an indoor range but want to also try some more golf specific exercise. The ole body is a bit sore and I want to recover-I realise hitting off mats can be a bit harsh on the joints-and the joints are a bit sore

I've heard some suggestions that swinging a "swing fan" 100 swings a day is a good overall workout. I've used the fan with my instructor and that sounds golf specific and gets a workout in as well

I've got a yoga workout I do. and weather permitting I enjoy walking

For those of you in the winter climes, What do you folks do that is golf specific?

and for those of you in all season climes, I'm jealous

Thanks 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also have access to an indoor driving range, so I hit balls year-round here in Ohio.

Plus, I do a TPI workout. I'd highly recommend it. 

You mentioned yoga. I never tried it. Perhaps I should give it a shot this winter.

• Administrator

@uitar9, many can make a compelling case that swinging a fan can train you to swing slower. I'd be careful with that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@uitar9

Yoga works and once you learn the stretches, you can do them anywhere. Some gyms have a more sports oriented yoga class (less of the spiritual stuff which is not my cup of tea).

Also check out Joey D's Golf Body videos or books. There are very specific golf exercises. https://joeydgolf.com/

And as @Kenny Lee mentioned, the TPI, Titleist Performance Institute, has a lot of free videos. It is a little less organized than the Joey D videos, but still excellent.

http://www.mytpi.com/

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@uitar9

Yoga works and once you learn the stretches, you can do them anywhere. Some gyms have a more sports oriented yoga class (less of the spiritual stuff which is not my cup of tea).

Also check out Joey D's Golf Body videos or books. There are very specific golf exercises. https://joeydgolf.com/

And as @Kenny Lee mentioned, the TPI, Titleist Performance Institute, has a lot of free videos. It is a little less organized than the Joey D videos, but still excellent.

http://www.mytpi.com/

Yoga definitely will improve your range of motion.  Plus, it is a lot harder than you think.  It is great for increasing your flexibility (and hence your swing).

I highly recommend it.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Thanks folks, picked up a fan yesterday-

Got up a little earlier this morning, got fifty swings (getting the swoosh is  a workout on its own) in and did a yoga routine.

Gonna check out Joey D and TPI

I always just took the winter off....in the spring I'd be itching to play and hence would start the season with lots of enthusiasm. Plus golf is a hobby, and there is a fine line between the fun and challenge of trying to improve vs feeling obliged to "work" at it in the off season. 

But this winter I've decided to try to work at my game. I have access to an indoor facility so I will definitely hit balls, but I want to do more than that. During the golf season, I'm up at 6 AM every weekend day getting ready for an early morning tee time, so I decided in the off season I would continue the early rising, but replace the golf round with a trip to the gym. My plan is yoga, core strengthening, and some light cardio. 

The final thing I am going to try is to improve selected aspects of my game through drills. It seems that during the season I don't spend as much time on drills and practice as I would like, because I have only so much time to devote to the game and I want to spend as much of that playing actual rounds as possible. So doing drills in the off season seems like a great way to hopefully make some real substantive improvements in my action. There are some drills that I've been doing in my office, including putting drills, footwork/ankle rolling, etc., which can be done without making big swings or needing a full net (I chip into a beanbag in my office, for example). 

I'm really looking forward to this off season.  

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Why not just keep playing outside in the winter?  I'm in Ohio and the public courses are open year round.  I played last year in 27 degree weather.  With a little Jameson, didn't even notice the cold.  I usually play some of my best golf in off season.  Probably because I can't take my backswing too far with all the layers on!

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Thanks folks, picked up a fan yesterday-

See my post above… I've heard plenty of people make good cases against ever really using a swing fan. Long story short: they train you to swing SLOWER.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Why not just keep playing outside in the winter?  I'm in Ohio and the public courses are open year round.  I played last year in 27 degree weather.  With a little Jameson, didn't even notice the cold.  I usually play some of my best golf in off season.  Probably because I can't take my backswing too far with all the layers on!

We had 3 feet of snow on the ground from mid December to end of March here in the Boston area. Cold wasn't the issue. I did play indoors at simulators, which was fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

We had 3 feet of snow on the ground from mid December to end of March here in the Boston area. Cold wasn't the issue. I did play indoors at simulators, which was fun.

There is a place that does simulator golf near me, problem is, they want more money for that than an actual round of golf so I still have not tried it out.  Maybe in February when it gets really chilly here.  

Not here-Calgary-The courses close-there are a couple of indoor ranges and at least one outdoor range that stays open year round.

27 fahrenheit I can handle-thats -3 celsius

While we get our share of chinook warming winds we also get our share of -20 to -30 celsius, (-4 to -22 F) I'm swinging indoors.

I'll keep at the fan for a while-considering its weight and resistance, it seems to me it will provide a great strengthening exercise (no banging off an indoor ma) while allowing me to keep swinging.

To be truthful, I can't swing much slower lol

I'll keep at the fan for a while-considering its weight and resistance, it seems to me it will provide a great strengthening exercise (no banging off an indoor ma) while allowing me to keep swinging.

To be truthful, I can't swing much slower lol

Have you seen @iacas's posts? The fan is NOT a good training aid to use. Only trains you to swing slower.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...

Three weeks in-managed three times a week-a yoga routine and 100 swings, 50 with the fan and 50 with a wedge, 25 times 4 (gotta keep the ocd in check)

really trying to push the fan and then really pushing through with the wedge.

Don't really care about ball feedback-I'm looking for a little exercise and muscle memory training

• 1 month later...

Been doing the 100 swing thing for 4 or 5 weeks. Tried a new indoor range today (Fox Hollow for those that know it) , a bit longer and taller than the usual SW dome. Just using the driver, hybrids and 6 iron. (trying to stick to more sweeping clubs on the mats)

Damn. Ball striking is much more consistant. Hitting it with a little more authority. 

Gonna stick with the 100 swings three times a week (with the fan as well). Feeling much stronger.

Forgot to ask in my post above which I didn't get back to in time to edit but...

For those of you that go yoga for flexibility, how often do you go, once a week, twice a week, or more? 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 2900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!