IGNORED

Tee shots

9wood
Note: This thread is 3062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tee Shots  

59 members have voted

1. 1. On your tee shots are you more likely to . . .

• Slice the ball
    • Hook the ball
    • Hit the ball straight
    • Draw the ball
    • Hit a fade
    • Other?

On your tee shots . . .

Are you more likely to  . . .

1. Slice the ball

2. Hook the ball

3. Hit it straight

Secondly . . .

Are you able to shape your tee shots so that they are . . .

1. A draw

2. A fade

4. Other?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I fade the ball on most drives and of course can hit a slice easily by over swinging.  A few drives are dead straight or pulled but I have never had a consistent draw. 

I am all over the place still.  My partner once told me "whatever you do, DO NOT hit that house on the left (a hook for me), the guy is a crazy commando type. I usually slice or put it out on the right hand side far, but sometimes I over correct and it is amusing to see.  I will aim left so as not to slice too much and what happens?  I hit it straight as an arrow that way.  When my partner told me not do that I don't know what happened, evil demons crept into my clubhead and caused me to hit a semi hook shot right at the house.  Fortunately a bush at the edge of his property caught the ball but my arse puckered a little watching that ball take off like a guided missile right at his house.

Edited by Gator Hazard

Push -  have improved downswing rotation, sequence, and tempo.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Draw most of the time.

I can fade it about 2 out of 3 when I want to, but it isn't something I'd try in a competition unless it's a do or die shot.

Edited by HonestyPolicy
wrong wording

On the range and on the course are two very different things for me.  I typically, when all in going well in the world, hit a nice draw off the tee.  I'm consistent with it on the range, but on the tee box I can be a bit of a head case - I'll stare at that stupid ball and forget everything I ever knew, lose my elbow and swing outside in. I am so much better with any other club other than the driver.  Drives me nuts.

Poll needs an all of the above, but I selected other.  I have a mix of slight draws, slices and usually a random hook thrown in.

My drives are like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get. 

Joe Paradiso

Straight or a slight fade is my standard tee shot.  I can draw the ball but typically I am straight enough to cut a dogleg rather than attempt to work the ball around the corner.  Like most people, when I try to work the ball there is a higher tendency to not carry off the shot versus hitting my stock straight/fade.  There has to be strong reward before I will take the risk of working the ball around the corner.

Brian Kuehn

Most of my tee shots with the driver go absolutely in a straight line, but on a bad day I will be pushing them to the right, often ending up on the parallel fairway. It's not a slice, but a straight push, and doesn't lose distance. When I'm playing well, they go the same distance straight down the middle. I just wish I could identify what makes the difference, but I helped increase the probability of a good drive by switching from an S to an X (extra stiff) shaft, and by consciously shortening by backswing to the point where my left arm is parallel to the ground and straight. With the new shaft, I probably sacrifice 10-20 yards of distance, but the chances of being on the fairway increased by about 25%.

• Upvote 1

Made huge improvements with driver since the last time I played. Typically my OOB shot was a huge pull, and my in play but terrible drives were pull slices. 

Weirdest thing I have seen with driver was a huge pull slice, that after going right some 30 yards actually curved back in on itself, heading left, and landed right in the middle of the fairway.

Most common for me is a push. Otherwise it's straight. Then there's the duck hook which is why I don't use the driver on the first tee - it goes 160 yds and in bad shape. Better to use a 4 iron and go out 200 yds and in the happy grass.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Good shots are straight to slight draw. Pull or pull draw when I'm off.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

95% of my tee shots draw (or hook).  Even my wedge.  My miss is a straight shot down the right side into the trees.  I never hit an unintentional fade.  It's hard for me to hit an intentional one with this Ping K15 driver.  And I even have a bunch of lead tape on the toe to counteract the heel weight.

With my old driver, I could draw and fade at will most of the time.  A straight shot was more difficult.  My St Bernard broke the shaft in my old driver, but I reshafted it with another one I had laying around.  Not the same type.  I bought the K15 before I really tried it out.  I need to break that out this week.  PS, I haven't let my St Barnard use my clubs since!

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

My good tee shots are either a slight push to the right or straight, but when my swing mechanics are off then A bit of a slice occurs. There is such a fine line between hitting the ball straight and slicing it.

Note: This thread is 3062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!