IGNORED

Seth Raynor

Big Lex
Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The owners of my home club believe it was designed by Seth Raynor. For decades, nobody knew who designed the course, because all club documents had been destroyed in a club house fire in the 1940s. People who had been around since the course opened in the 1920s never apparently recorded or had any knowledge of who the designer was.

One of the owners embarked on a research project in an attempt to identify the architect. He concluded it was Raynor. His case is not without merit, but would never meet reasonable standards of proof in a civil court case. 

Still, they have gone full steam ahead renovating the course in the style of Raynor. Some things about this I love, others I hate. Overall the course isn't really that much harder to score on, but I think most members find it less fun to play. The course looks significantly better after the renovations. Overall, I think a slight majority of members preferred the course the old way.

Curious what forum members think, those of you who belong to private clubs....would you like it more if you thought your course was a Raynor or Tillinghast or other classic architecht's course? Anyone been through a renovation?

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

How cool would it be if Raynor was the original designer! Can I ask who is doing the renovation and the name of the club? I participate in a forum that is all about this kind of question and someone there may have knowledge of your club.

If it was me, as a purist I would want the club to be as close as possible to the original design, using the classic Raynor templates.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!