IGNORED

Stevie Takes Shots at Tiger in Book

iacas
Note: This thread is 3077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Of all the people in the golf world putting books out these days Steve Williams has got to be near the bottom of my list. Complaining about how hard it was carrying Tiger's bag around for a boatload of cash? Cry me a river.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, Shorty said:

Either that or it is just one of a few lines quoted from the book to gain publicity for a review or whatever. Methinks some Sandtrappers are making it into a big deal.

What is wrong with Williams writing a book to explain his perspective on things?

He's not denying that he's bitter. It seems that he was pretty well dissed by Woods and you can't assume that he did know about Woods' private life. Why the confusion? They'd meet at the practice tee, play and then go their separate ways. And Woods had a lot to lose by "sharing". Why the cynicism? Because Williams is a bit of a cocky jerk and did everything to support his player? People tell lies about him to - like saying he was taking the limelight when Scott won at Augusta, when the video shows the complete opposite. Haters gonna hate...:-\

He was in the thick of it for a long time.

It was possibly one of the most interesting and successful partnerships in recent sporting history, so why not write a book? Or do some interviews and get a ghost writer to make it interesting?

Why should he not share his views? It's obviously going to be an interesting read.

I am not a great fan of Williams, but It is interesting how some people here think that an "employee" can be treated disrespectfully by their employer simply because he is paying the wages.

I am pretty sure I could cope with some disrespect if I was getting a decent  percentage of $10 million a year over a decade, but that has nothing to do with it.

There's a big difference between resting a club on the bag and throwing it away and leaving the caddy to pick it up like a dog.

We saw how graceless Woods was when his club was retrieved by spectators. There are ways of doing these things.

As for spitting, I saw Justin Thomas doing it in a way yesterday that makes Woods look like a saint.

I guess if it was soooo bad, why didn't he quit? @ShortyYour post only makes excuses for Stevies pathetic behavior and condemns Tiger for his pathetic behavior. To me, Stevie is a self righteous chip on his shoulder pompous ass. No one cares if he knew about any affairs except him. DO YOUR JOB AND SHUT UP...or quit and go away. Look at Bubba's caddie/player relationship. Bubba is "recorded" being a dick to his caddie and his caddie just says, hey you just have to understand my player. I may not take that bs but there are a lot less important jobs with a lot less income with jerkass bosses out there.

But drama sells if you write a book I guess....doesn't matter if you have to make it up...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

This book will not be on my Xmas list. :-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Of all the people in the golf world putting books out these days Steve Williams has got to be near the bottom of my list. Complaining about how hard it was carrying Tiger's bag around for a boatload of cash? Cry me a river.

My sentiments exactly.  He was a guy who got lucky, how many other people with his exact same background and qualifications could have gotten paired up with Tiger.  Fortune smiled on him and apparently it's not enough.  It is one thing to bitch to your very close friends or your wife about it, but to write a blatant money grab book that is tabloid journalism at best is pretty low.  

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

He was a guy who got lucky, how many other people with his exact same background and qualifications could have gotten paired up with Tiger.

I wouldn't go that far. He was good at what he did.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I will give it a read ... probably be like Hank's though ... and I only make it half way through it.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Williams's comment about feeling like he was treated like a slave strike me as extremely tone-deaf for a bunch of reasons. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I wouldn't go that far. He was good at what he did.

Understandable but not unique, there are many more with his background and qualifications than there are Tiger Woods who can win the money.  That was my point.

Pretty interesting to think how polar opposite Stevie and LaCava are. Stevie was this brash, in your face bulldog and LaCava is meek and mild mannered. Maybe Tiger needs someone in between? I don't know, but I'll be somewhat surprised if things with LaCava last much longer.

Stevie reminds me of Mike Vanderjagt, former kicker with the Indianapolis Colts. Undoubtedly one of the best in the world at his profession, but possessing an over inflated view of his importance to the team. 

When Vandy started publicly criticizing Peyton Manning for his competitive fire, he was quickly and resoundingly smacked down and put in his place by the football community. To date, the golf community hasn't been willing to respond the same way to Stevie's comments that have repeatedly crossed the line.

Stevie needs to move on - no one likes an egomaniac caddy.    Given Tiger's popularity, Stevie is shooting himself on the foot by carrying on like this.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

5 hours ago, dkolo said:

Williams's comment about feeling like he was treated like a slave strike me as extremely tone-deaf for a bunch of reasons. 

The insensitivity shown by Steve Williams for using this analogy is just baffling -- I may read this book, but there is no way one penny comes out of my pocket to pay for it.  If nothing else, I hope he did make an effort to give equal treatment in the book to Tiger's greatness.  

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

When the Haney book was first advertised there were some things said that on the surface sounded bad, but once I could hear them in the full context of what Haney was trying to say they seemed overblown. This may be the case for these comments as well. We'll have to see how these fit into the rest of what Williams actually said. 

Haney said he wanted to write the book to give his perspective. Basically he wanted everyone to know that he quit and Tiger was really hard to work with. Some of the things he said were true and explain why for example Sean Foley struggled so much with Tiger. Sadly most of what Haney wrote was whining and made him look petty. 

I will read Williams book because I will want to hear what he says. I might not enjoy the whole thing but there might be some nuggets in there that are interesting.

• Upvote 1

Michael

Makes sense.  Don't judge the book by its cover, so to speak.   But with Stevie, his past actions is consistent with these snippets from the book.   I sense a huge ego, taking a lot more credit for himself than what it is really.   At the end of the day, Tiger would have been Tiger with any caddy.   Where would Stevie be?   A few million dollars less, I bet.   And not whole lot of interest in his book.  

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

5 hours ago, skydog said:

Pretty interesting to think how polar opposite Stevie and LaCava are. Stevie was this brash, in your face bulldog and LaCava is meek and mild mannered. Maybe Tiger needs someone in between? I don't know, but I'll be somewhat surprised if things with LaCava last much longer.

With the uncertainty over Tiger's back, he might not need a caddie. Love the avatar.

• Upvote 1

Not taking anything away from a caddie, it is def harder then we even expect.., but if doing what you love to do (as he was) then being a slave and making the $ he did while being on Tigers bag  please sign me up for that job....granted Stevie was well respected before the Tiger gig (being with Raymond Floyd) but let's be honest Tiger put him on the global map for caddies... I highly doubt he'll get much sympathy from a average joe like many of us.... 

The slave comment is moronic, but I'll give him a pass on the reference and assume he couldn't come up with a better analogy to describe how demeaning he felt it was to pick up after Tiger on the course.  I'm sure Tiger could find a lot of guys that would happily retrieve Tigers tossed clubs for the money Stevie was collecting. 

Stevie is an ego maniac who couldn't handle being in Tigers shadow and tried everything he could to stand out.  Stevie really showed his true colors when he carried Scott's bag in 2013 and made Scott's winning of The Masters all about himself.

Joe Paradiso

13 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Stevie is an ego maniac who couldn't handle being in Tigers shadow and tried everything he could to stand out.  Stevie really showed his true colors when he carried Scott's bag in 2013 and made Scott's winning of The Masters all about himself.

This ^

He has the wrong job for his ego, and not much integrity (not that Tiger is much better but he's the boss).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!