IGNORED

IPS 4.1 Offers A Bunch of New Features to TST!

iacas
Note: This thread is 3056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

Your examples all require horizontal scrolling, reinforcing my point that your code relies on a certain minimum of horizontal pixels.

No, they don't. You're wrong. There's no horizontal scroll bar. The site's responsive and the sidebar moves down to the bottom.

Perhaps the concept of code that displays properly on any device has evolved to reflect the Microsoft model which purposely introduces proprietary code to force users to upgrade hardware and software to take advantage of proclaimed "New and Improved" features.

Spare me. This isn't you being dragged into the future while we tell you "it's a feature, not a bug." If you can't make your browser window wider, make it narrower.

I'll hang around here for a while and see if it is worth my frustration.

Still wish we could have the old site back, there was nothing really wrong with her.

I guess old curmudgeons like me just don't want to deal with "new and improved" ideas that always seem to lead to obsolescence of tried and true values.

The old site was no better and was, in many ways, worse. And we couldn't use it if we wanted to, anyway.

The current version of the site is the best one we've ever had, IMO. You're entitled to your own opinions, as always, but not your own facts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, they don't. You're wrong. There's no horizontal scroll bar. The site's responsive and the sidebar moves down to the bottom...

Your examples are from your IPS interface I presume, and clearly show the need to scroll...

Yep.png.e021c2b1dcd45bbe7c2ae468e7173dba

5637073823abd_YepYep.png.5bda0cc4b67e11a

563707438c0bd_YepYepYep.png.7be3d9cacf67

Of course on these devices the bar is typically hidden, but a swipe reveals content to the right or left.

Your interface clearly indicates that all the page content is not visible and requires a scroll or swipe.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

• Administrator
5 hours ago, CR McDivot said:

Your examples are from your IPS interface I presume, and clearly show the need to scroll...

No, those aren't scroll bars. The latter two are the handles you drag to make the window whatever size you want. You'll notice both a scroll bar and the handle on the right-hand side of that image.

Just as you'll notice this on the 800 x 600 display:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-02%20at%207.30.0

Of course on these devices the bar is typically hidden, but a swipe reveals content to the right or left.

There's nothing to the left or right, and in two of the three you can't even swipe left or right. In one, you can swipe right a little bit to see some green background.

Your interface clearly indicates that all the page content is not visible and requires a scroll or swipe.

You're wrong. You mistook grabby drag handles for scroll bars.

And @CR McDivot, to wrap this up, the old (Huddler) site was way way worse at handling smaller screen sizes unless you specifically switched to the mobile browser. It was not a responsive design. It wouldn't kick the sidebar down to the bottom at all. And nothing in this regard changed from IPS 4.0 to 4.1.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Spoiler

As a final bit of evidence or support for the fact that the site works pretty darn well on a variety of browser sizes (even 800 x 600), the video above should suffice.

The site could not do this on Huddler, and it worked exactly the same (quite well) on IPS 4.0.

Now, then, please let's return to the real reason for this topic: to discuss the Content Streams, Instant Notifications, etc.

Thank you.

I just noticed that the text editor on mobile hyphenates words that go from one line to another. Is this a new feature, and is it possible to disable it for yourself? I realize that it goes away in the final post but it's kind of distracting. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• Administrator
4 hours ago, dkolo said:

I just noticed that the text editor on mobile hyphenates words that go from one line to another. Is this a new feature, and is it possible to disable it for yourself? I realize that it goes away in the final post but it's kind of distracting. 

I don't think it's possible. It's freaked me out a few times too. Then I got used to it. I think you will in a day or so as well.

• Administrator

So, how are you all finding the Streams?

Anyone built a cool stream they'd like to share with others?

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I like the "load more activity" button much better than the previous clicking to page 2 or 3 (since I tended to get a lot of "retry in 4 seconds" messages as I would find where I was reading threads the last time I was online).  So for me, 2 thumbs up.  

I haven't built any custom streams yet (gotta get some work done sometime during the day).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 11/1/2015, 4:27:12, mvmac said:

Really like the new quoting feature. It also works if you're writing up your response and want to go back and add text to quote.

I liked the idea of it, then I found out that it's impossible to delete the quote box if you change your mind about it later.

This is as far as I can seem get it without going into the source code.

On 11/1/2015, 4:27:12, mvmac said:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Anyone built a cool stream they'd like to share with others?

Wish I could say I have but I've been mostly sticking with the "content I haven't read yet" stream. Works well for me.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, billchao said:

I liked the idea of it, then I found out that it's impossible to delete the quote box if you change your mind about it later.

This is as far as I can seem get it without going into the source code.

You're doing it wrong. I can delete it. Even on mobile.

A few tricks. But the little drag box top left and the tag selection thing bottom left are helpful.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're doing it wrong. I can delete it. Even on mobile.

A few tricks. But the little drag box top left and the tag selection thing bottom left are helpful.

Ah ok I see it now. You click on the quote box and you can delete it once it is selected. That's actually better than the Huddler way which would often lead to malformed posts.

On my laptop I can ctrl-right click right on the quote box and it gives me a couple of options, one of which is remove quote.

I do like the drag box. I guess I just need to play around with the site some more and learn all the bells a whistles.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

I bet if you put a poll up asking members if they prefer the old site over the new. You might be surprised. I'm not seeing near the post activity that I have in the past of certain members.

The move from Huddler was inevitable and we couldn't even go back to the old site if we wanted to.

It's also November which is typically much slower. Numbers are pretty similar to last year around this time.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

I bet if you put a poll up asking members if they prefer the old site over the new. You might be surprised. I'm not seeing near the post activity that I have in the past of certain members.

Posts dropped 1.5% in October as compared to September based on previous years.

Plus, what @mvmac said.

• iacas unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I added a red strip to the top of OP posts (posts the OP makes in the topics they started), and removed the "sand" background. It was annoying me.

In the Q&A section, going to the first unread post doesn't take you to new additions. It makes it hard to see who has contributed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

In the Q&A section, going to the first unread post doesn't take you to new additions. It makes it hard to see who has contributed.

I'm thinking of just closing it down. Nobody knows how to use it properly anyway.

Note: This thread is 3056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!