IGNORED

Pros without caddies?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 3064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I too like to see the end of caddies in tours even just for a tournament.  Let the players carry their own bag or ride cart.  Let's see the impact of playing without caddies.  Who'd emerge as best players?   Would the pace be faster?  Will the putting stat go down?  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5 November 2015 at 14:03:35, RussUK said:

Like @Baog said the pro's do have to carry their own bags in many of the lower tours such as the EuroPro tour and Jamega Tour in the UK. They do however seem to use trolleys most of the time. To be fair, the prize money is so low a hiring a caddie probably isnt worthwhile.

I frequently practice with a guy who played Europro the past year. I've seen him play with a caddie (he's one of the very few there with a full-time caddy) and without, seems to do fine either way. He's currently sitting 3rd place in one of the European Tour Q School stage 2 tournaments (of 3 stages) with a caddy but I've seen him go low without. He's fit enough that I don't think that side of it matters - when we play together we both carry and it's me breathing a bit walking up some of the steeper holes, not him :-) 

Pete Iveson

The fact that they can get used to it, or that they've done it in the past, or that lower-level pros do it, is sort of beside the point, IMO.  Of course they can do it.  The more interesting question is what effect it would have on the quality of golf being played.  I think to say that they would play just as well basically assumes that caddies add no value--performance wise--doesn't it? 

I suppose there is some marginal value in having someone to talk through the shots and reads.  More things to focus on might mean more mental mistakes.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

1 hour ago, dsc123 said:

The more interesting question is what effect it would have on the quality of golf being played.  I think to say that they would play just as well basically assumes that caddies add no value--performance wise--doesn't it?

Agreed.   Why would the players pay caddies 5 - 10% of their winning + about $1000/day (educated guess) if all they are doing is carrying bags?   Why players change caddies at all, seek out better ones, etc?    Reading greens, course management are part of golf game that I expect the player is solely responsible for.   Having caddies who can read greens betters, advise on every shot makes pro golf a team sport IMO. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

While I said I don't think it would make much of a difference, on rethinking it, imho, I don't think you'll see a difference short term. Over the long term, the whole season, perhaps it adds up. Mentally. Your right hand man and game confidante takes a little pressure off... everything. If there's a very rough analogy to work, he's kind of like the manager that shields you from all the political bull***t so you can put your head down and get your work done.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

8 hours ago, nevets88 said:

While I said I don't think it would make much of a difference, on rethinking it, imho, I don't think you'll see a difference short term. Over the long term, the whole season, perhaps it adds up. Mentally. Your right hand man and game confidante takes a little pressure off... everything. If there's a very rough analogy to work, he's kind of like the manager that shields you from all the political bull***t so you can put your head down and get your work done.

I'd go with that. I also think there's a big difference in how much players depend on their caddy. At one point I saw Robert Rock's caddy used to stand looking down the line of the putt and literally tell him if he was aiming right, stepping aside just before the stroke to technically stay within the rules at the time (personal opinion was it was pushing it a bit...... possibly more than a bit) while at the other end of the spectrum I've heard Poulter basically say he just needs a caddy to check that he's not made a glaring error in calculating his own yardage etc. and be on the same wave length as him. The implication seemed to be he pretty much takes care of game management himself. 

Personally I wouldn't want to see caddies go - I like the interaction and it often gives an insight into what the player is thinking looking at a given shot.

Pete Iveson

At the end of the tournament I want to know who played the best golf, not who carried his clubs with the least effect.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!