IGNORED

Weigh in on Langer's future without the long putter.

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is Bernhard Langer's future look like without the broomstick?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Bernhard future after the anchoring ban.

• He will manage with moving the putter slightly away and putt the same.
    • His putting will tank.
    • Turn into a average player on the Champion's Tour.
    • Putt better with a short putter.
    • Who cares, it is the Champion's Tour.

I am firmly against the long putter and can't wait to not see anyone using it. Bernhard Langer has used this atrocity the most and I am wondering how putter life is going to be for the king of the yips after the ban goes in effect...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Broke100Once said:

Langer's legacy and career is cemented.  Anything he does now is just gravy.

Does anyone really care what over 50 golfers do in Champion's tour?    I can't take the tour seriously.   Sure, he won a bunch and his competitors are still very good but there is no entertainment value for me in following the Champion's tour.    Not much of gravy to me unless he makes noise in PGA tour like Tom Watson did at age 60 (59+?) at the Open a few years back.   That was icing on the cake, well, almost.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

6 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

I can't take the tour seriously.   Sure, he won a bunch and his competitors are still very good but there is no entertainment value for me in following the Champion's tour.    

This attitide would be most upsetting to these poor old folks. Fortunately, Langer has done OK without your approval.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 5.21.01 pm.png

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

He's a great player and frankly, it's his long game that makes him great, not his putting. I think he will do fine. He will either not anchor with his long putter or shift to something else.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, Shorty said:

This attitide would be most upsetting to these poor old folks. Fortunately, Langer has done OK without your approval.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 5.21.01 pm.png

That's too much moola for pushing a broomstick..

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

He's a great player and frankly, it's his long game that makes him great, not his putting. I think he will do fine. He will either not anchor with his long putter or shift to something else.

duh...lol

He had a helluva time competing due to his putting. He was always a good ball striker.

Just now, Valleygolfer said:

That's too much moola for pushing a broomstick..

duh...lol

He had a helluva time competing due to his putting. He was always a good ball striker.

He always seems to get the approach shot close when he needs to.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

He always seems to get the approach shot close when he needs to.

You might be right.

I for one can't wait to see him use a short putter.    I said the same for Adam Scott ... unfortunately, a lot of these guys will chose to keep using the broomsticks & not anchor it - I hope the officials nail them to the wall if that thing EVER touches their chin or chest.

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

On 11/6/2015, 6:18:38, inthehole said:

I for one can't wait to see him use a short putter.    I said the same for Adam Scott ... unfortunately, a lot of these guys will chose to keep using the broomsticks & not anchor it - I hope the officials nail them to the wall if that thing EVER touches their chin or chest.

Agreed, anchored putting is a travesty IMO. A crutch for those that can't putt as it was intended. The fact that Langer is still milking it makes him drop way down on my respect list. 

I think he'll manage. I have no idea what his plans are but he can still use the same style of putting and just move the butt end away from his chest. 

Langer will figure it out and still be one of the best players out there. He's currently 2nd in GIR, 4th in total driving and 3rd in ballstriking. We all know how important all that is to scoring and those things aren't going to change. Don't forget guys, he's won tournaments, majors and made the Ryder Cup team while struggling with his putting.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I think he will struggle initially and we will find out how important the Champions Tour is to him.  I can make the case for him to persevere and continue to play great golf or for him to retire while he's on top.

Joe Paradiso

I think he'll do the same as Adam Scott, he's been probably figuring out a system to use the long putter that is legal... These guys have had 3 1/2 years to prepare for this change... I think they've worked on it... I think, Langer will be fine... Scott will be fine... (I know Scott is off topic, but in a way it is on topic, Erik)...

If Langer goes back to the conventional putter... He'll probably do cross-handed on short ones... Hell he may do a mid length and putt side-saddle... Who knows?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

He'll be fine. He shouldn't have to give up using the long putter (banning it was and remains stupid), but he'll adjust.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

2 hours ago, jbishop15 said:

He'll be fine. He shouldn't have to give up using the long putter (banning it was and remains stupid), but he'll adjust.

Technically he doesn't have to give up the long putter he just can't anchor it to his body.

Joe Paradiso

4 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Technically he doesn't have to give up the long putter he just can't anchor it to his body.

Yeah, true. Whether he keeps it or not, I suspect he'll do fine. I don't have the numbers, but I doubt they are better than they were when he was using a short putter. They rarely are. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!