IGNORED

Shaving driver face?

Club Rat
Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Saw an add on Ebay to "shave the face thickness on drivers to create more trampoline effect and distance." Wouldn't that make the club illegal?

Here's the rest of the add.

Are you looking for more distance out of your Bridgestone J715 (or any other make/model)?  We have invented a process known as golf driver shaving which reduces the face thickness on drivers to create more trampoline effect and distance. We can take any golf driver and make it hit 20-40 yards further. The science behind this is simple: a thinner club face allows the face to flex more when it hits a ball and then spring back with much more velocity. We are being talked about on all the golf forums, blogs and golf courses! We can help you hit further than you have ever hit before or help senior players regain some of the distance they have lost over the years. Our customers love us because we can help them hit further without changing their swing at all. It's also easier to take a Bridgestone J715 driver you already own and enhance it's performance than to buy a new driver and not know whether or not it will suit your swing.

Years ago the top club makers made what were considered illegal drivers that performed better than the USGA allowed. They were simply advertised as non conforming drivers and for players not competing in sanctioned events. The USGA pressured the club makers to stop producing these clubs a few years ago. Our service allows you to swing the top name brand clubs enhanced to a much higher performance level.

We both sell pre-shaved drivers and also work on drivers our customers send in to us. This ad is for a shaving service on your Bridgestone J-715 Driver (or any other golf driver). The picture above shows a shaved driver that has lost it's groove lines. Included in the price of the auction is re-grooving. All groove lines will be black

We shave "Bridgestone 715J" drivers to different levels depending on your swing speed so we can maximize distance without durability problems. When our suggested shaving level guidelines are adhered to we have almost zero problems with durability.

**Our turn-around time is 10-14 days. This includes the total time between when you ship us your driver, we perform the work, and the shipping time back to you. Please keep this in mind when leaving feedback and seller ratings**

Suggested shaving levels 

Swing Speed  Shaving Level

0ver 100 MPH   .880 COR

90-99 MPH       .890 COR

Under 90 MPH  900 COR

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Saw an add on Ebay to "shave the face thickness on drivers to create more trampoline effect and distance." Wouldn't that make the club illegal?

Yep, makes it illegal. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Very illegal.  As I understand, if you shave too much, you can break the clubhead.  I considered wasting my money on it for fun of it but decided not to.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

15 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Here's the rest of the add.

Are you looking for more distance out of your Bridgestone J715 (or any other make/model)?  We have invented a process known as golf driver shaving which reduces the face thickness on drivers to create more trampoline effect and distance. We can take any golf driver and make it hit 20-40 yards further. The science behind this is simple: a thinner club face allows the face to flex more when it hits a ball and then spring back with much more velocity. We are being talked about on all the golf forums, blogs and golf courses! We can help you hit further than you have ever hit before or help senior players regain some of the distance they have lost over the years. Our customers love us because we can help them hit further without changing their swing at all. It's also easier to take a Bridgestone J715 driver you already own and enhance it's performance than to buy a new driver and not know whether or not it will suit your swing.

Years ago the top club makers made what were considered illegal drivers that performed better than the USGA allowed. They were simply advertised as non conforming drivers and for players not competing in sanctioned events. The USGA pressured the club makers to stop producing these clubs a few years ago. Our service allows you to swing the top name brand clubs enhanced to a much higher performance level.

We both sell pre-shaved drivers and also work on drivers our customers send in to us. This ad is for a shaving service on your Bridgestone J-715 Driver (or any other golf driver). The picture above shows a shaved driver that has lost it's groove lines. Included in the price of the auction is re-grooving. All groove lines will be black

We shave "Bridgestone 715J" drivers to different levels depending on your swing speed so we can maximize distance without durability problems. When our suggested shaving level guidelines are adhered to we have almost zero problems with durability.

**Our turn-around time is 10-14 days. This includes the total time between when you ship us your driver, we perform the work, and the shipping time back to you. Please keep this in mind when leaving feedback and seller ratings**

Suggested shaving levels 

Swing Speed  Shaving Level

0ver 100 MPH   .880 COR

90-99 MPH       .890 COR

Under 90 MPH  900 COR

Do they replace the club when the face crushes in?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I wonder how many clubs they modify and how many guys, kids are using them?

Seems, very difficult to call foul play on someone without sending the club to USGA to test the club.

11 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I wonder how many clubs they modify and how many guys, kids are using them?

Seems, very difficult to call foul play on someone without sending the club to USGA to test the club.

Its hard to prove definitively without actual testing, I agree.  However, most manufacturers were working to get exactly to the line of legality, so almost any alteration has to push it over the edge.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Driver faces are already very thin. Apart from the legality, you would certainly be compromising the integrity of the head and asking for a cracked face - the warranty would obviously invalidated too.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I swing so hard, I shave the face of my driver every time I hit it.

Would that be due to a "Slice?" :~(

I just hate having to wipe the shaving cream off the ball every time I shave my driver.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, hiwattage said:

I wonder what's better gel or foam ?

I heard gel gives you a hook and foam causes a slice.

If you want to hit it straight, try "miracle whip"   :-\

• Upvote 1

The only people I can see benefiting are elderly players who have lost a lot of club head speed. Those with SS well under 80 mph. And chances are these people aren't playing competitive golf anyway. Any little boost will help some enjoyment in their waning years. 

People with normal SS risk caving the face of their drivers. I've seen people cave them at driving ranges.

I doubt they replace the head if it cracks.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

19 hours ago, Club Rat said:

I heard gel gives you a hook and foam causes a slice.

If you want to hit it straight, try "miracle whip"   :-\

I do it old school style and work up a nice rich lather of Williams Mug shaving soap and apply it with a horse hair brush.  This ensures that the club feels special and is not being given a quickie.  "Shaved" at least 6 strokes off my game on Sunday. Whatever you do, don't use Nair.  A clean shaved driver is a happy driver, dont forget to douse with a generous amount of alcohol to prevent shaving bumps.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

a generous amount of alcohol to prevent shaving bumps

I prefer to drink the alcohol, why waste good bourbon on your face......:beer:

Let there be bumps on the driver face, maybe it will cure a slice.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I had never heard of shaving your driver and I just played against someone in my member guest who had done this to his driver.  Hit the driver insanely far, he was an ex-club pro from NJ. Figured it was an illegal driver. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I know this is an old thread, but I had never heard of shaving your driver and I just played against someone in my member guest who had done this to his driver.  Hit the driver insanely far, he was an ex-club pro from NJ. Figured it was an illegal driver. 

It may have been.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!