IGNORED

How often should you upgrade irons?

Ashley
Note: This thread is 3021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently have a set of Ping i15 irons that are 3-4 years old.  I like these irons and I'm not one to upgrade often (I played with my previous set of irons for over 10 years).  However, I can't help but wonder if I could benefit from better and newer technology.  How often should one upgrade their irons?  Has the technology advanced enough in the last few years to justify spending $1200 or more on a new set or is that what the golf industry just wants me to think? 

• Upvote 1

Upgrade irons when the new product marks a noticeable improvement in your game. Basically, does the improvement justify the cost in money, and time (getting used to the new set).

I was getting good results with both my reshafted X20 Tours and my SLDR irons going into this year. But, I got custom-fitted for some Nike Vapor Speed irons. After nine weeks of pain, I had to admit the VS just didn't work.I couldn't hit anything longer than the 7i with any regularity.

So, I'm back to the X20 Tours.

(Note: The VS irons are about an inch longer than most other iron sets. A couple of HS kids at our club are doing nicely with the VS irons - but, they're 6-foot or over. I'm only 5-foot-8).

HINT: Try out other irons to see what's our there. But, don't dump the i15s on a lark if you hit them well. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

How often should one upgrade their irons?

Depends on how much you play and practice. There really is no standard rule. Obviously if the grooves are wearing down it's time to get a new set.

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Has the technology advanced enough in the last few years to justify spending $1200 or more on a new set or is that what the golf industry just wants me to think? 

Technology has improved since the i5 irons came out ('05 I think) but whether it's worth $1,200 to upgrade is up to you. I don't think it's a necessity. Go to a store or demo day and try out some irons to see if they're that much of an improvement for you.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Unless the clubhead grooves are worn out, your swing plane has changed so your clubs don't sit correctly (too steep or too shallow), or your shaft is not suited to your swing, changing clubs is not advised unless you find a set that suits you way better (dispersion and distance).  Technology has not changed that much over the last decade or so anyway.  Most of it is marketing hype

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Neighbor was a 3 HC now about a 8 HC. He bought his Ping ISI irons new when they came out. He's bought others in the meantime and keeps going back to them. This year he's going to a new set. The grooves are worn out.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

There is not really any such thing as "upgrading" irons if they are less than, say 10 years old. You can change or replace them, yes, but "technology enhancements" in irons are essentially advertising spin.

• Upvote 3

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I don't there is a time frame for changing out clubs. I have been playing TE stuff for quite a while and see no reason to change.  I have golfing buddy who is still using persimmon woods, and they are stll playing well for him.

As for newer technology being better, who knows for sure, and if so which brand? I dont think I would know if newer was better with out using them for a few rounds. By then if they were not any better, I am pretty much stuck with them after a sizeable cash lay out.  Buyers have to be careful about claims by others. This is why I think finding a competant club builder is the way to go. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

13 hours ago, Shorty said:

There is not really any such thing as "upgrading" irons if they are less than, say 10 years old. You can change or replace them, yes, but "technology enhancements" in irons are essentially advertising spin.

Yes, 9 years old nothing new. 11 years old may want to look into replacing them, Lol.  It's always been an advertising spin but to say. "Technology enhancements" are not there, is not even close to being true.

Edited by Natural Patrick

I disagree that "technology enhancements" for irons is pure advertising spin.  Manufacturers are constantly trying to find ways to add distance and forgiveness.  Irons over the last five years are being made out of multiple compounds, such as Tungsten in the Titleist AP 2's and Boron in some of the Mizuno irons.  Callaway introduced a curved face with their XR irons that they are carrying over to their Apex line.

As someone for follows equipment pretty closely I'd say there are enough technology enhancements every 3-5 years to make it worth while to look at new irons.  If you test them and they don't seem better than your current irons, don't buy the new ones.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

5 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

Yes, 9 years old nothing new. 11 years old may want to look into replacing them, Lol.  It's always been an advertising spin but to say. "Technology enhancements" are not there, is not even close to being true.

When someone says "say 10 years" it is a way of saying "an indefinite number". It is what English speaking people call "a figure of speech". It means the opposite of what you say I am saying.

Please describe some of the meaningful technology improvements in the past decade.

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

When someone says "say 10 years" it is a way of saying "an indefinite number". It is what English speaking people call "a figure of speech". It means the opposite of what you say I am saying.

Please describe some of the meaningful technology improvements in the past decade.

I'm not going to write an essay in hopes of satisfying an Aussi who is FOS.  An English term that means you are "Full Of Shit" just a figure of speech that means exactly what it says. Look no further than the materials used today vs 10 years ago. The Research, Technology and Testing is a little ahead of what was being done 10 years ago. Whether that is Meaningful to the 20 handicap or the Touring Pro. Is really not up for me or you to decide,

21 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

I'm not going to write an essay in hopes of satisfying an Aussi who is FOS.  An English term that means you are "Full Of Shit" just a figure of speech that means exactly what it says. Look no further than the materials used today vs 10 years ago. The Research, Technology and Testing is a little ahead of what was being done 10 years ago. Whether that is Meaningful to the 20 handicap or the Touring Pro. Is really not up for me or you to decide,

Please tell us more.

Multi material irons?

Computer aided designs?

Plastic inserts?

Just a couple of examples that actually do something would be great.

Once again, your aggressive attitude clouds anything you seem to want to say.

• Upvote 1

All I seem to read is that even with all new technology, overall handicaps have not gone down that much, if at all. That answer depends on who you ask. 

Is a 20 hdcpr going to buy the latest game improvement clubs and suddenly become a 17 hdcpr? Will a 6 become a 3? Would they have improved 3 strokes if they would have stayed with their old clubs? Who knows.

If a company would give me a money back guarantee that their new, improved clubs would save me 3 strokes off my hdcp after 20, 18 hole rounds, I would probably buy their clubs. That is if they did not cost an arm and leg in the first place. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

I think we need a forum to discuss why some golf players are so damn arrogant.  They turn people off the sport more than anything.  No wonder there are companies bringing out garish costumes just to upset this uptight establishment.  There is no need to insinuate that someone doesn't know what they are doing because of their nationality.  Australian and proud of it.

3 minutes ago, Return2Golf said:

I think we need a forum to discuss why some golf players are so damn arrogant.  They turn people off the sport more than anything.  No wonder there are companies bringing out garish costumes just to upset this uptight establishment.  There is no need to insinuate that someone doesn't know what they are doing because of their nationality.  Australian and proud of it.

There are a couple of members who make posts where they make outlandish claims which are corrected and they have a set against those members for all time. This is what you are seeing. His inability to understand AND explain a metaphor (FOS) is evidence of his form. :-)

Natural Patrick would be better off explaining why clubs that were released 2 years ago and then superseded  6 months after that are not as good as their successors. He talks about the materials having changed. But he makes no comment about how they translate into better clubs/scores. BTW, we are talking about irons, not drivers here.

The OP has been told by several members that essentially, instruction and the player are the road to improvement unless decade old clubs are damaged beyond repair.

For the record, I have had 7 sets of irons over the last decade. None of them possess any design or technology features that distinguish them from any other.

I have had 2 sets of Mizunos, 2 sets of Adams, one set of TM, one set of Bridgestones and one set of Titleists.

All were/are good. All felt great when I hit them in the middle. All felt like crap when I didn't. None gave me forgiveness on poor shots in the way that new drivers do.

• Upvote 1

I don't recall bringing up Drivers at all in this thread. Please provide evidence that proves me wrong. I also don't remember saying a new set of Irons would make you a better player or lower your scores. I think I may have had one to any Fosters, I have only had 3 sets over the last decade, so you got me there

I've been using the same irons since the beginning of 2011, and haven't found anything I like more. Don't plan on changing unless I find something better. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

That escalated quickly. Let's maybe take it down a notch.

• Upvote 2

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!