IGNORED

Share your New Strokes Gained Data from GAME Golf!

iacas
Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

GG is a great long game tool, and most (99%) golfers will improve their game tremendously if they improve their long game such as me.

It doesn't make sense to me to squabble over putting stats, and it's not even really worth my time and effort to remember where the holes were located to do accurate post round editing of the hole position to within 10 feet.

If my putting stats are a little or a lot off using this long game tool, I can live with that.

I'm getting use to the GG logic for putts.  For example, if I putt 6 ft.. tag, and putt it in GG will assume the second put was 1 or 2 ft. (can't remember exactly but either way it doesn't matter).  When it matters is if my two putts are unusual, like 14 feet followed my 8 feet.  Game Golf will get that wrong.  In those cases I write on my scorecard how long and in what general direction my last putt was.  For example 8s for 8 feet to the south.  I then use that info on the scorecard to edit my round.  I enjoy looking at and editing my round.

I probably mark the distance and direction for about half the holes... the rest are already handled well by GG.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I'm getting use to the GG logic for putts.  For example, if I putt 6 ft.. tag, and putt it in GG will assume the second put was 1 or 2 ft. (can't remember exactly but either way it doesn't matter).  When it matters is if my two putts are unusual, like 14 feet followed my 8 feet.  Game Golf will get that wrong.  In those cases I write on my scorecard how long and in what general direction my last putt was.  For example 8s for 8 feet to the south.  I then use that info on the scorecard to edit my round.  I enjoy looking at and editing my round.

Do you wait a long time before editing your round? Or do you just not remember stuff very well a few hours later?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I probably mark the distance and direction for about half the holes... the rest are already handled well by GG.

How do you do this? Do you remember all the places where your ball lands and use Google earth? The system seems accurate enough on it's own, so I prefer not to mess with the data too much. Just me, I guess.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you wait a long time before editing your round? Or do you just not remember stuff very well a few hours later?

I don't remember very well.  Chemo brain and age.

18 minutes ago, Lihu said:

How do you do this? Do you remember all the places where your ball lands and use Google earth? The system seems accurate enough on it's own, so I prefer not to mess with the data too much. Just me, I guess.

? I use the edit function in Game Golf along with marking distance and direction of some of my last putts on the scorecard while on the course.  I always use a scorecard even with Game Golf, just in case I miss a tag or double tag.  I'm still getting use to the tagging routine.

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

? I use the edit function in Game Golf along with marking distance and direction of some of my last putts on the scorecard while on the course.  I always use a scorecard even with Game Golf, just in case I miss a tag or double tag.  I'm still getting use to the tagging routine.

I probably mark the distance and direction for about half the holes..

I think I get it? Do you mean just for putting and not all your long game shots as well? Remembering where your ball lands half the time would be pretty good and kind of negate having GG.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

21 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I think I get it? Do you mean just for putting and not all your long game shots as well? Remembering where your ball lands half the time would be pretty good and kind of negate having GG.

I only mark done on my score card distance and direction for the last putt of a hole and only on some of the holes.

I'll move the flag as close to the area feasibly in zoom view. Then edit location of tags when they are off the chart which sometimes happens.

I like the fact that moving the pin location to the proper area for looking back at rounds in history, but in stats which show proximity to pin, it's somewhat deceiving. At many courses, being inside 15 yards could be a GS bunker or WH.

approach-the-green.thumb.png.d6311e97050

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Even if inside 15 occasionally ends up in trouble the purpose of those charts are to gauge how consistent we are from certain ranges. If I know I am <15 70% from 100-125 I am going to take on a bunker or hazard.

That's more a game planning tool. A choice to make to play a shot that doesn't land near the trouble. Forty five feet is a fairly big target. 

Dave :-)

• iacas unfeatured and unpinned this topic

The one thing I don't understand with the strokes gained numbers.  When you look at the bar graph (for mine lets say) it shows that: Approach I am losing 3.38 strokes, but it says if I work on my approach it will only save me .39 strokes per game?  I'm wondering where that is coming from?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, MattM said:

The one thing I don't understand with the strokes gained numbers.  When you look at the bar graph (for mine lets say) it shows that: Approach I am losing 3.38 strokes, but it says if I work on my approach it will only save me .39 strokes per game?  I'm wondering where that is coming from?

It probably doesn't say you're going to save 0.39 strokes per round if you work on your "approach" shots. It probably says something like "approach shots from 150-175 yards."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I just looked it's telling me that I should work on my approach shots from 175-200 on PAR 3's to improve .39 strokes per round. 

That brings up another question like if I'm losing 3.38 shots per round wouldn't there be some other type of advice that might help me out more than .39 strokes per game?  

Maybe I'm thinking I should be able to get more out of it in terms of advice....

• Administrator
2 hours ago, MattM said:

I just looked it's telling me that I should work on my approach shots from 175-200 on PAR 3's to improve .39 strokes per round. 

That brings up another question like if I'm losing 3.38 shots per round wouldn't there be some other type of advice that might help me out more than .39 strokes per game?  

Maybe I'm thinking I should be able to get more out of it in terms of advice....

The categories are simply too narrow. We're talking to them about it.

At the end of the day, though, you need to improve your approach shots to save 3.38 strokes.

strokesgained.jpg.9d5227b9d0f767b140e32f

I'm a little surprised that the short game is as high as it is, but then again I'm usually either spot on or just horrible. 

Approaches were abysmal this year. But also, drives set up approaches to a degree. At my home course, when the driver is off I'm hitting a lot of "approaches" under branches and around trunks. 

Hoping to knock those first three categories down quite a bit this year. 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

I have been calculating strokes gained just after the publication of Mark Broadie's book round after round on a spreadsheet noting every distance and lie (fairway, rough, sand, recovery, penalty or green) of the ball. 

On my last round of Game Golf, I was very surpised to see that I lost 4,91 strokes compared to a scratch player as I had 32 putts on that day...

I decided to check the calculation myself and discovered that the number of strokes lost on putting provided by Game Golf is not accurate and strongly off : 

Putting stroke calculated with the Mark Broadie's method: 2.67

Putting stroke calculated provided by Game Golf : 4.91

The concerning part is that the difference between the two calculations is 2.24 strokes !

A difference of 2.24 strokes on putting means that the complete calculation of strokes gained is off. The impact of 2.24 shots difference means that the calculation for the 4 parts (off the tee, approach, short approach and putting) would completely changed as all parts are related together..

56bd2cd1afcbc_ScreenShot2016-02-11at7.52

• Administrator
7 hours ago, BenBilly said:

I have been calculating strokes gained just after the publication of Mark Broadie's book round after round on a spreadsheet noting every distance and lie (fairway, rough, sand, recovery, penalty or green) of the ball. 

On my last round of Game Golf, I was very surpised to see that I lost 4,91 strokes compared to a scratch player as I had 32 putts on that day...

I decided to check the calculation myself and discovered that the number of strokes lost on putting provided by Game Golf is not accurate and strongly off : 

Putting stroke calculated with the Mark Broadie's method: 2.67

Putting stroke calculated provided by Game Golf : 4.91

The concerning part is that the difference between the two calculations is 2.24 strokes !

A difference of 2.24 strokes on putting means that the complete calculation of strokes gained is off. The impact of 2.24 shots difference means that the calculation for the 4 parts (off the tee, approach, short approach and putting) would completely changed as all parts are related together..

56bd2cd1afcbc_ScreenShot2016-02-11at7.52

Yeah, and the 2.67 is versus a PGA Tour player, while the 4.91 is versus a scratch golfer.

I have two questions/comments:

1. First, a comment: you don't have to calculate the second putt. In fact, you shouldn't. If you're 33 feet away (2.0 putts) and you hit it 33 feet past the hole and make that, you've still gained 0.0 strokes. There's no need to do more than take the expected strokes of the first putt distance minus the total number of putts. From 8 feet, if you one-putt, it's 1.5-1, and if you two-putt, 1.5-2. It doesn't matter how long the second putt is.
  2. Did you thoroughly and accurately mark (edit) the positions of your putts in the GAME Golf round?

Also, please visit your profile, click "Edit," and add your GAME Golf username. We're talking with GAME Golf tomorrow and will specifically mention this post.

P.S. Paging @RandallT.

I will talk to GAME GOLF tomorrow (it's already planned) so I would appreciate that you don't, this is my research, thank you :-)

and the second putt is also important as you can see on H3 (hole number 3), the second putt at 5 feet is earning strokes...

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, BenBilly said:

I will talk to GAME GOLF tomorrow (it's already planned) so I would appreciate that you don't, this is my research, thank you :-)

It's not your research. It's Mark Broadie's.

Beyond that…

• GAME Golf is a partner of TST in 2016.
  • We have an advisory board that addresses issues with them on a regular basis.
  • I'm co-author of Lowest Score Wins, which has plenty of our own research.
6 minutes ago, BenBilly said:

and the second putt is also important as you can see on H3 (hole number 3), the second putt at 5 feet is earning strokes...

No, that's wrong.

Again, if you have a 33 foot putt (expected: 2.0) and you hit it 33 feet past the hole and then make that one, the math is exactly the same as if you hit it to 3.3 inches and tap that one in:

33', 33': stroke 1: 1.0 strokes lost. stroke 2: 1.0 strokes gained. Net: 0.0 strokes gained.
33', 3.3": stroke 1: 0 strokes gained, stroke 2: 0 strokes gained. Net: 0.0 strokes gained.

Everything after the first putt is irrelevant. If you three-putt from 33', you lose 1.0 strokes regardless of the length of the second or third putts. If you two-putt, you break even. If you one-putt, you gain 1.0 strokes.

Your third hole you were 27 feet away. Expected strokes: 1.95. If you two-putt, you lose 0.05 strokes.

Lo and behold, you two-putted, and lost… 0.05 strokes. Same as if you hit it to two inches, or 33', and made the second putt.

"my research" meaning in this context comparing my calculation on my shots with GG calculation. I did not see anywhere that kind of comparison yet and I am just asking not to use "my research" or "my conclusion" if your prefer. Using one of the user conclusion and talk to GG is not very fair even if your are "partners"... 

Please delete my post and my user.

Thank you,

Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!