IGNORED

Shallow out hybrid AOA

Note: This thread is 3068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't think it's a matter of shallowing out the hybrid or any other club really...  In the end it comes back to your swing mechanics and your swing will be your swing with all your clubs..  

I wouldnt put much weight on where the divot is pointing either, as it could be the result of a lot of different things including how your are setting up relative to your target line.

I recommend you just keep chugging along with your swing and coach!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Off the top of my head, the biggest three:

• Stop getting the shaft steep in the downswing (lay it down more).
  • Stop swinging so far left.
  • Get your hips forward to create SAT.

Same as with any other club. It's not hybrid specific.

If I got to list a fourth it would be "ball too far back" but usually that's a result of (or "band aid" for) the third.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What is the explanation for the divot getting smaller and less deep as the club gets longer?
I thought that the hybrid and fairway woods should just skim the turf and not dig in.

Doug

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

What is the explanation for the divot getting smaller and less deep as the club gets longer?
I thought that the hybrid and fairway woods should just skim the turf and not dig in.

AoA decreases as the clubs get longer. Or "should" anyway.

I think you misread my response. You asked what you could do to not take big divots with your hybrid. I told you what you were doing that was probably causing steeper AoA than you want.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Off the top of my head, the biggest three:

• Stop getting the shaft steep in the downswing (lay it down more).
  • Stop swinging so far left.
  • Get your hips forward to create SAT.

Same as with any other club. It's not hybrid specific.

Yep, those are the top things to look for.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

Can I get an explanation of laying down the shaft. 

Yes. It's all over this forum, but again it is the shaft going from steeper or closer to vertical to shower or toward the horizontal direction.

Less Ferris wheel. More merry-go-round. With the shaft.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes. It's all over this forum, but again it is the shaft going from steeper or closer to vertical to shower or toward the horizontal direction.

I have seen you (and others) recommend this to people that are trying to become more shallow. Not as people, but as golfers ;)

I've been working on trying to shallow out the swing by feeling like I'm sliding my arm down my chest while getting my hips forward (your other suggestion). I think it's working decently, but I'm still a little steep with the 3W and driver.

While I understand that feels are just that, do you recommend that we try to manually lay down the shaft by twisting our arms on the downswing? Perhaps I'm not doing it properly, but when I try this, I invariably go way under the plane and hit big hooks. What's a good way to practice this?

Edited by chspeed

On 11/15/2015, 11:14:05, AbsoluteTruths said:

How do I shallow out my hybrid swing? From the divots I leave it looks like I am coming down steep on them like an iron.

Coming more inside out. That helps shallow out your swing in general, but as noted above in a couple responses many people treat the hybrid the same as an iron and strike downward more? I find that a more downward strike with a hybrid is going to help get the ball up in the air more.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
1 hour ago, chspeed said:

I have seen you (and others) recommend this to people that are trying to become more shallow. Not as people, but as golfers ;)

I've been working on trying to shallow out the swing by feeling like I'm sliding my arm down my chest while getting my hips forward (your other suggestion). I think it's working decently, but I'm still a little steep with the 3W and driver.

While I understand that feels are just that, do you recommend that we try to manually lay down the shaft by twisting our arms on the downswing? Perhaps I'm not doing it properly, but when I try this, I invariably go way under the plane and hit big hooks. What's a good way to practice this?

I can't speak to generalities. I don't know what feels will work for you, exactly.

I will speak to this one thing though based on the bold part above…

You said "sliding your arm down your chest" but if the hands move DOWN (from the down the line view) the shaft will often steepen. If the hands move OUT (same view, toward the ball or target line) the shaft will often shallow.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

You said "sliding your arm down your chest" but if the hands move DOWN (from the down the line view) the shaft will often steepen. If the hands move OUT (same view, toward the ball or target line) the shaft will often shallow.

Fascinating. Never would have guessed, but now that I look at my swing, it seems you're correct. In the second frame, my hand do seem to come down (like I'm feeling), and the shaft is staying steep (or even steepening). In the third frame, as the hands come out, the shaft shallows. Is bringing the hands down like I do (by feeling the arms come down the chest), a bad idea? Is this why I'm having trouble?

Not sure if this is relevant, but my common miss these days is either overcooking a draw (ball starts right of target, and goes too far left) or a straight overdraw (ball starts right at target line, but draws too much. The shot below was pretty straight.

1.jpg.ffb05a392588d852975d1d2417c2c550.j2.jpg.334e736254275e07b9d4f65681d19769.j3.jpg.02cc197879bde5c37311c0e7ae930265.j

48 minutes ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

How can you see the shaft steep? From the FO or DTL view

I think it's a lot easier in the down-the-line view.

13 hours ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

Can I get an explanation of laying down the shaft. 

Like this. "Steep to shallow".

564a7b7c292b9_steeptoshallow.thumb.jpg.a

3 hours ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

How can you see the shaft steep? From the FO or DTL view

Best seen from DTL.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

12 hours ago, iacas said:

I like this analogy.

Am I correct to assume the AoA gets shallower as the clubs get longer because the angle of the spine is more upright as the clubs get longer? And if the shaft angle is somewhat perpendicular to the spine... more merry-go-round with the longer clubs, more ferris wheel with the wedges. Or am I missing the point?

Jon

Note: This thread is 3068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!