IGNORED

Shallow out hybrid AOA

Note: This thread is 3047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

I like this analogy.

Am I correct to assume the AoA gets shallower as the clubs get longer because the angle of the spine is more upright as the clubs get longer? And if the shaft angle is somewhat perpendicular to the spine... more merry-go-round with the longer clubs, more ferris wheel with the wedges. Or am I missing the point?

No. The spine is actually pretty consistent.

The shaft is longer, though, and the lie angle is flatter the longer too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎03‎:‎53‎, chspeed said:

Fascinating. Never would have guessed, but now that I look at my swing, it seems you're correct. In the second frame, my hand do seem to come down (like I'm feeling), and the shaft is staying steep (or even steepening). In the third frame, as the hands come out, the shaft shallows. Is bringing the hands down like I do (by feeling the arms come down the chest), a bad idea? Is this why I'm having trouble?

Not sure if this is relevant, but my common miss these days is either overcooking a draw (ball starts right of target, and goes too far left) or a straight overdraw (ball starts right at target line, but draws too much. The shot below was pretty straight.

I have a shallow AoA with my longer clubs and driver.  When I experience what you mention above (bolded), I find it is simply because I don't keep my head behind the ball.  When I let my head move forward, even a little, or sway, invariably the AoA becomes steeper, divots deeper and my miss is a pull or over draw.  Keep your head behind the ball and swing through to your target and the shot will be much more powerful and straighter.  I "feel" that my right arm is straighter and more involved in the shot (I'm a righty). 

I definitely bump my left hip forward at setup (reverse K).  Rotating your head back to the rear a little and looking more out of your left eye helps.  Plus, are you keeping your eyes on the ball until the clubhead strikes the ball or are you pulling out?  Pulling out is never any good. :-)  in reality, I probably don't keep my eyes on the ball the whole way, but I certainly try.  Keeps that right shoulder from flying too.  I have a very strong grip with my right hand.  That also helps I think.  I'm not recommending changing to a strong grip though (but it is more powerful for me).

I've moved my ball slightly forward of center (a ball or so) and this really helps me naturally keep my head behind the ball (along with the reverse K) and shallow out my swing.  Don't move it so much you feel you're reaching though.  You still have to get that weight on your left side.  BTW, I have SL irons, so the ball position stays pretty much the same all the time.  You may have to tinker with each iron.

Working controlled swings with an impact bag (you don't want to destroy the bag) does wonders for ball striking and tempo.  When you are in the impact position, make sure your weight is on the left side, your head is behind the ball and your arms are fully extended.  Keep working it until it becomes natural.  Saves money on range balls too.

I may be shallow, but I'm sincere.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

On 11/20/2015, 10:38:06, vangator said:

Keep your head behind the ball and swing through to your target and the shot will be much more powerful and straighter.

No question that this is an issue for me too. I've actually been working on this a long time,  and FINALLY have gotten to the point in which I can keep the head from moving forward while still getting the weight forward. During a round, I almost always slip back into old habits, but even that has improved, and I'll keep working until it becomes natural.

On 11/20/2015, 10:38:06, vangator said:

I have a very strong grip with my right hand.  That also helps I think.  I'm not recommending changing to a strong grip though (but it is more powerful for me).

I may be shallow, but I'm sincere.

As do I. I do think that helps.

We're talking about a golf swing, how could we not be shallow? ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find there are so many little swing thoughts going on that it's hard to not miss one or two.  I think the most common fault is letting the head move forward a bit during the swing.  I try to get to the point that these things happen naturally without specifically thinking about them.  that's the rick to improving your game.

And when you add a few beers to the mix, all hell breaks loose.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!