IGNORED

Whats the most "unusual" club in your bag ?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've resigned myself to finally admit my 3 wood is more of a liability than an asset (the occasional awesome shots are fun, but way more often than not, it hurts me).  So, I've been looking for a replacement & found out that Adams makes a Super S hybrid in 15° (can get really good deals on it ... saw RBG was blowing them out for $25 over the weekend).     Shaft is shorter than a fairway wood & head is oversize for a hybrid ... I seem to hit it cleaner than the 3 wood on average, so far I'm liking it & gaining confidence in it.   Def an unusual club ... but seems to work for me.    Lets have your "weirdo" club ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just put in a Cleveland 42* Niblick in my bag. I have had it for a few years, but never used it. I recently made some changes in my bag and had room for an extra club, so Ifigured why not. So far I am happy it's available for some shots around the geen. I have also used it for some shorter pitch shots. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Hmmm, a 50* wedge bent to 51* to give me the gap I want between my PW and SW is about as crazy as I've got.

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

5 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

I carry a Ping 6 hybrid, 31 degrees. It carries the same distance as my 5 iron, but much easier to hit. Many people don't know a 6 hybrid exists.

I also carry a Callaway XR 6 Hybrid  at 28 degrees - longer and higher than a 6i, and more consistent.

At times I carry a GBB 9 wd in place of a 4Hybrid. Up, up, up.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The most was when I played a friends niblick for a few holes in a casual round.  Otherwise, woods, irons and a lob wedge.  If anything can be considered weird in my bag, it is my putter.  It has a wooden shaft and is over 60 years old.  Will get a photo of it one day for you guys.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

TaylorMade Tour Cleek - Borrowed from my father's bag years ago and it probably is 30+ years old. 27 degrees, steel shaft, small closed faced head with railors. This gets me out of a lot of trouble when the ball is sitting down in thick rough. I can hit it very high when needed.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

I have a Taylor Tour Preferred pattern Raylor 16* from about 1990. Just as useful now as it was then.

I play a lot with vintage clubs, and I have a 1-3-5 set of PING Eye2 laminated maple woods. I play a lot with just the 3 and 5, using the 3 off the tee and the 5 on most fairway shots.

The putter I use most of the time whether playing modern or vintage is a heel shafted flanged blade (similar to an 8802) that is 35 years old.

A few years ago, I made up a "car trunk" walking bag, that had the aforementioned Taylor Raylor, a Lynx Boom Boom driver, a Golden Ram 5 iron bent to 26 and shafted 38", a Hogan Director 9 iron bent to 34 and shafted 37", and a Wilson Staff 9 iron bent to 42 and shafted 36". I need to get that bag back out and walk some. I recently picked up a 19* match to my old Raylor, and might put the 19 in instead of the 16.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I have a single Taylormade Speedblade 6i in my bag that I got from their giveaway a few years ago. The loft of the iron is stronger than my 5i and it launches the ball higher so I use it like a 5i / hybrid essentially. I still have my regular 5i in my bag but I only use it when I'm punching off of some crap surface and don't want to scuff the pretty Speedblade haha. It's been almost two years now; I might just dump that 5i since it just gets in the way more often than not in my bag

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

Hmmm, a 50* wedge bent to 51* to give me the gap I want between my PW and SW is about as crazy as I've got.

I use a Cally X Forged 52-13 bent to 51*.  Love the forgiveness of the extra bounce and doesn't seem to get in the way for any of my finesse shots.

13 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

I carry a Ping 6 hybrid, 31 degrees. It carries the same distance as my 5 iron, but much easier to hit. Many people don't know a 6 hybrid exists.

I have an Adams A3OS 6h -- 28 degrees.  It's basically a super wide-soled hollow iron and I hit it pretty well, but it is just too weird and nothing complements it at the long end so it sits in exile.

I have what I call my 3.5 iron. It's a 3 iron head on a 5 iron shaft. I had to add about 15 grams of lead tape to the head to get the swingweight right but it's easier to make good contact than a 4 iron and goes just a little farther for me than the 4 iron. It fills the gap between my 5 iron and 5 wood. I'll probably end up replacing it with a proper hybrid at some point though.

• Upvote 1

1.Controller Roll and Bulge driving iron. It's only 12.5* so it's pretty tough to hit but it's a real sight to see when struck well. Has too much offset and is too easy to hook so I keep it in the basement until I feel the need to humble myself.

2. Pelz 64* wedge. Lots of loft and zero bounce make this club pretty useless with the exception of short high pitches and flops around the green out of thick rough.

3. PING 1-A putter. Antique putter that makes a harmonic 'ping' sound when you strike the ball, hence the name of the company.

4. DTG ultra light driver. Driver head is about 40g lighter than your typical head. Built to 48" and a 25g grip make it an uncontrollable swing speed machine.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

3 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

4. DTG ultra light driver. Driver head is about 40g lighter than your typical head. Built to 48" and a 25g grip make it an uncontrollable swing speed machine.

That sounds hilarious ... would love to see you hit that thing !!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

On 11/16/2015, 9:32:31, inthehole said:

I've resigned myself to finally admit my 3 wood is more of a liability than an asset (the occasional awesome shots are fun, but way more often than not, it hurts me).  So, I've been looking for a replacement & found out that Adams makes a Super S hybrid in 15° (can get really good deals on it ... saw RBG was blowing them out for $25 over the weekend).     Shaft is shorter than a fairway wood & head is oversize for a hybrid ... I seem to hit it cleaner than the 3 wood on average, so far I'm liking it & gaining confidence in it.   Def an unusual club ... but seems to work for me.    Lets have your "weirdo" club ...

I too bought me one of those Adams 15 degree Super S fairway woods. I love it and use it a lot. Best club on the market for the amount you pay in my opinion.

Having said that, I would say the strangest club that can sometimes be found in my bag, depending on where I'm playing is an old Wilson Wild Thing 26 degree 9 wood. That's how I came up with the name 9wood for my user name.

Edited by 9wood

Well, I carried an 11 wood, but got rid of it because it go's further then my 9 wood. Speaking of wich, my friends call it the gay nine.

Also my irons are blades (mp4) and shafted with steelfiber.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MacDutch said:

Well, I carried an 11 wood, but got rid of it because it go's further then my 9 wood. Speaking of wich, my friends call it the gay nine.

Also my irons are blades (mp4) and shafted with steelfiber.

I hate that damn thing!  :-D

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

GMax 4-iron. Just put it in the bag. Experimenting with a different bag set-up. Took out my i E1 3 and 4, put the GMax in and went to 4 wedges. 

IMG_6134.thumb.JPG.c94304f25954c6226a9c3IMG_6135.thumb.JPG.de1c8bab808678f7158b5

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On 11/16/2015, 9:52:12, arturo28mx said:

I carry a  Big Bertha 7 hybrid (32 degree).  :-)  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 2957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!