IGNORED

To Driving Iron or not to driving iron

Note: This thread is 2937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Universe,

I've been fiddling with my set make-up a little (got a 4W, and new wedges)... I seem to hit irons better than Hybrids (I actually hit my E8 4-iron very well, nearly 200 and shall we say straight)...

I've been messing around with the idea of a driving iron... More or less an Iron-like hybrid... I'm a Tour Edge Exotics guy for the most part, however other brands are considered... (Just not a DI that will set me back $200)...

Looking in around the $100 range..

The only issue I can see is my 4i is 21° so I'd need an 18 or 19° DI (If I was still playing my CU'S, I could do a 20° or 21°)...

Basically I'm gathering information on experiences with driving irons...

And if it would fit the gap better than let's say a FW or Hybrid.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Experiment with the DI and see how you feel.  I can hit my 4 iron well, but struggle with my 3 iron most of the time, except when my game is in a purple patch.  The additional shaft length and lesser loft do make a difference

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I went to Roger Dunn to try out some clubs last month, and saw a large 50 gallon barrel full of driving irons. All different flexes and types. That should tell you how many people thought the same thing. I tried one, and it's not much better than what I am doing right now using a graphite shafted SGI 4i while waiting to get a decent hybrid.

Everyone I know doesn't have one. Not sure why there was a craze for the last couple years or so?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am in the same boat as you and just bought one thinking that I'd prefer it to my hybrid. As yet, whilst I can find the centre of the face with a bit of regularity, it's really hard for me to get the face square for some reason and it's also incredibly harsh on mishits, which just go nowhere. For now, I'll be keeping my hybrid and three iron. I want to use it and can see that it will eventually be useful, but not yet!

Edit: I will be getting it checked out for my swing when I next go into the custom fitting place I use in a month's time - will post back then

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

A couple of years ago I tried a Ping driving iron. R shaft. I hated the way it felt. If you hit your 4 iron under 200 yds you probably won't benefit from a driving iron. I bought a Cobra BioCell 4 iron I hit a lot better and further than the driving iron. So you might want to try a cavity back GI 3 iron with a graphite shaft. They're cheaper, too.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Some of the older Mizuno Fli-Hi iron-hybrids are pretty sweet.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

7 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

I've got the 3 and 4 versions of those. They are nice. The made a 2 as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I carry an Adams Super DHy 18o which is sort of a cross between a driving iron and a hybrid.  It doesn't have much forgiveness compared to a normal hybrid but if you're talking about using a driving iron that's not something you're likely worried about anyway.  I quite like it as its low spinning, lower trajectory flight just ignores the wind and then rolls out a ton.  It's not awesome off the deck, but off a tee it's a monster.

Brad

21 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Definitely try the Fli-Hi - if you can find one.

If you hit your E8 4i well, why not consider the E8 3i? It is 19° and a half-inch longer shaft than the 4i. BUT... it is only 2° stronger in loft.

First of all, could you hit a 3i or a driving iron well enough - and enough longer - to make it worthwhile to add to your set?

If you got the E8 3i, would you go steel or get the Recoil graphite shaft? It appears a single E8 iron would cost a bit more than $100 in graphite.

Or, you could just play the bag we helped you get set up all summer long... :whistle:

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

Definitely try the Fli-Hi - if you can find one.

If you hit your E8 4i well, why not consider the E8 3i? It is 19° and a half-inch longer shaft than the 4i. BUT... it is only 2° stronger in loft.

First of all, could you hit a 3i or a driving iron well enough - and enough longer - to make it worthwhile to add to your set?

If you got the E8 3i, would you go steel or get the Recoil graphite shaft? It appears a single E8 iron would cost a bit more than $100 in graphite.

Or, you could just play the bag we helped you get set up all summer long... :whistle:

I like the feel of the KBS Tour 90s feel great probably would go with steel....

I was thinking a "Lumpy" might be good for off the tee on shorter par-four and tighter holes, and "laying-up" on par-5s... Long par-3s as well... I don't hit my Hybrids well off the tee. (Off the deck either)... I'm absolutely ripping my E8 4i... I went to your 4W from 3W... "LUMPY" would bridge the gap from 4W to 4i...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Spoiler

The Epon AF-901 is a very highly regarded driving iron for all levels of play, but bring your checkbook. If you're willing to spend the dough, though, I've never heard a negative word about it.

I personally hit a Mizuno Fli-Hi which overlaps my longer fairway wood (18 and 18.5º respectively) but I just like to hit it on tight, scary driving holes. 

I also have a Titleist DCI O/S+ 2-iron which cosmetically matches my DCI 981 set, but I hit the Fli-Hi a little bit better and longer.

To me, the driving iron is like the driver, the dedicated sand iron which I occasionally bag, the Ginty-type high loft recovery wood, and the putter.  It's not a part of the set's linear loft progression,  It's a shot specific utility.

mixed bag.gif

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On 11/19/2015, 6:07:55, WUTiger said:

I have a thought... What if I dump the 4-iron and get a 21° DI, and play a 5 as my longest iron, (apparently its hard to find an 18° Lumpy)... Then I get the best of both worlds with the Iron-like hybrid versatility and confidence, and put @WUTiger's 7-wood in the bag, lol or a 5th wedge.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

If you're playing a steel shaft 4i, why not grab a SGI or GI 4i with a graphite shaft. The graphite shaft is typically longer than what comes standard in steel, the sweet spot on the head wider than on the "player iron". 

Example: Cobra sells single irons - grab a Fly-Z 4i @19 degrees with a graphite shaft for $92. Use it off the tee.

Or why not just get a 4H and use that off the tee?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Lumpy (originally) is the nickname for the TM Ultimate Driving Iron.

An actual UDI #3 is 38.75" long, and has 20° loft, not 21°. How much different will it be than your E8 4i (38.75" long and 21° loft)?

The E8 irons have heel-and-toe tungsten weights, so the 4i should get the ball up well.

You're a 10.1 HDCP, so your swing characteristics might give you some clues. If you have a quick transition, the driving iron might give you benefits over a 4i. You would have to do a side-by-side to tell whether to go UDI/DI or keep the 4i.

The 7W would get the ball out of medium rough quite well, and would give higher trajectory than a UDI/DI.

Caution on adding a fifth wedge:  If you're a Pelz-style mechanic on your partial wedges, a five-wedge mix might be extremely hard to manage.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 1 month later...

Just got done assembling my new beast yesterday. I only need to hit driver 4-5 times a round at the home course and despite my belief closer to the green is always better driver gets me in more trouble than it's often worth. Truth is I rethought the long end of the bag and everything is new for 2016.

Tour Edge CB Pro h 2i (18 degrees) at 39.75", pulled the shaft from a X-Rail 4h. Going with R flex in this one, I hit that hybrid decent but the face was too close for me and I fought a hook. The CB Pro h is a hybrid iron but looks more iron than hybrid. Super hot face, not sure how accurate the sim is where I was hitting it but I was getting good distance and the instance of duffs was significantly less than I usually get hitting driver. The course will be the real test but so far it is promising.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 2937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!