IGNORED

What to get first?

Jaymancds
Note: This thread is 3074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my clubs a little at a time from what I have.  I have the full set of Callaway Strata clubs.  I was wondering what I should upgrade first.  Should I start with the driver and work my way down? Start with the putter and work up? Or should I start with new irons and wedges?  A friend has a G30 driver and I can hit much better with it than my current driver, but I don't want to spend quite that much.  The same friend had a high dollar putter (not sure of the brand), and on the practice green I felt like I could feel the ball better.  I am a decent iron player but my irons have taken quite a beating in the last year as I made the transition from baseball to golf.  They seem to lack some feel as well.  I'm not looking to drop a ton of money into my clubs as my skill doesn't warrant 1500 bucks worth of clubs.  Any suggestions on which club to start upgrading and what to upgrade too would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:callaway: Mens Strata Plus set

Protected by Ruger firearms.

If you hear my shot, I wasnt aiming at you

I'd figure out the budget first and then decide on what to get. I'd probably start with the driver or irons.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For a driver and woods probably about $150 each max, with about $500 for irons, $100 for wedges, and $150 for a putter.

11 minutes ago, Jaymancds said:

For a driver and woods probably about $150 each max, with about $500 for irons, $100 for wedges, and $150 for a putter.

For those prices, I would think you could find some really nice used clubs and I'd also probably recommend starting with the driver.  Just glancing at ebay, G30's are still around 200, but the G25 can be had for 150.  And I know that there are a lot of good drivers that are a little older that can probably be had for much cheaper.  Callaway xhot, for example, is one I used for a long time and still love, and those are available for less than 100.

And there are other options if you are leery of places like ebay and counterfeit clubs ... http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/more/why-buy-callaway-pre-owned/ as one example.

(Apologies if I sound a little biased towards Callaway.  I don't mean to ... in fact, I don't actually play any Callaway clubs right now, but I have had success in the past and happen to know a little more about them.  I'm sure the other companies also have similar pre-owned sites as well.)

Alright.  Is there any tell tale signs that a club is worn out when looking at used clubs?

If you look, you can still find new 2014 model Callaway Big Berthas for around $160. They're really trying to get rid of them now. They're a very solid driver.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

callawaygolfpreowned has a buy buy one get one free deal on fairways and hybrids at the moment - that helps with the budget. I'd stay tuned there for a similar deal with the driver. 

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

7 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

If you look, you can still find new 2014 model Callaway Big Berthas for around $160. They're really trying to get rid of them now. They're a very solid driver.

It was on sale for $105 last week on Amazon. And the 815 is $197 right now. 

SLDR irons were on sale for 3i-PW for $299 two weeks ago. It's a great time to buy clubs. Better than in the late winter, even. I'm going to go nuts on Callaway Preowned next week, hopefully. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

1 minute ago, dkolo said:

It was on sale for $105 last week on Amazon. And the 815 is $197 right now. 

SLDR irons were on sale for 3i-PW for $299 two weeks ago. It's a great time to buy clubs. Better than in the late winter, even. I'm going to go nuts on Callaway Preowned next week, hopefully. 

You're such a Callaway junkie. :-P

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

12 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

You're such a Callaway junkie. :-P

I'm not crazy about their irons outside of the Apex range. I'd have been all over the SLDR irons if I'd have been in possession of my bounty of Amazon gift cards. I hope I don't see that price again because I'll jump on it and I really don't need irons right now. 

But to your point: yes. Yes I am. Haha

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

1 minute ago, dkolo said:

I'm not crazy about their irons outside of the Apex range. I'd have been all over the SLDR irons if I'd have been in possession of my bounty of Amazon gift cards. I hope I don't see that price again because I'll jump on it and I really don't need irons right now. 

But to your point: yes. Yes I am. Haha

Did you find your bounty of Amazon gift cards?

Christian

7 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Did you find your bounty of Amazon gift cards?

I was on vacation away from home so I couldn't get to them when I saw the deal on Amazon was my issue. 

Dom's Sticks:

1 minute ago, Jaymancds said:

Alright so start with the driver and work down?

Start with driver or irons depending on which you think is a bigger need for you / will give you the biggest boost.

Dom's Sticks:

Well last year I decided I needed hybrids to replace my 3 and 4 irons. I bought the hybrids which I hit as far as my old fairway woods. Then of course I had to by new new fairway woods. Got the new fairways and I hit the 3w as long as my driver. Of course the driver had to go and I got a new one. Well then I noticed a big gap between my 4H and 5i and it was time for new irons. Think it's time to take a break......but my wedges....

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Play. Keep playing. Your game will tell you, better than well meaning strangers on an internet forum,  what needs changing. 

I assume that you've had formal lessons, but if not, THAT'S where your first additional expenditures should go.

No use trying to match clubs to a swing that you're not going to keep as you improve.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

21 hours ago, trombettista_vecchio said:

Play. Keep playing. Your game will tell you, better than well meaning strangers on an internet forum,  what needs changing. 

I assume that you've had formal lessons, but if not, THAT'S where your first additional expenditures should go.

No use trying to match clubs to a swing that you're not going to keep as you improve.

Like anything else, people can give generalities as to what they think works best for most people but ultimately, you take those suggestions and see how they apply to you. 

Christian

Note: This thread is 3074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!