IGNORED

Who else plays old clubs?

WilsonsRBest
Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just picked up a Wilson clima guard 6 wood from a bag at Goodwill.  It has no signature, other than the Wilson trademark, and there is an L etched on the sole plate.  I am assuming that the L means that this is a ladies club, but I don't know.  It is in very good condition so I am going to play it and check it for distance and accuracy.  I like the leather wrap grip as it has a flat side where it fits against the hand.   Any info on it would be appreciated, thanks.

I could be wrong so don't take this as gospel but I believe the grip may be non-conforming.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nonconforming, really, good thing to know in case I fall in love with this thing, thanks.

I'm not 100% on this. But even if its true you just need to have it regripped.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

What are the specs on your Spaldings? I use an old set of Spalding TE's and can't find any specs on them. They are mid 90's or so I think, any who's used them I'd love to know some specs, thanks for anyone who has any info or specs about these clubs :-) .

:titleist: Woods :titleist: Irons :titleist: Wedges :cleve: Putter

WHY?

Why play with old technology, unless you want to "experience" the way golf "used to be played" by Hogan, Nicklaus etc, or are you dumpster diving to search for the cheapest way to hit a golf ball.

Does Tiger game a 30 year old Spalding driver?

Take advantage of the new technology and enjoy playing the game of golf. Leave the old clubs found in back of garages and junk stores for the "romantics" and those who need something to stake their tomato plants.

WHY? Why play with old technology, unless you want to "experience" the way golf "used to be played" by Hogan, Nicklaus etc, or are you dumpster diving to search for the cheapest way to hit a golf ball. Does Tiger game a 30 year old Spalding driver?   Take advantage of the new technology and enjoy playing the game of golf. Leave the old clubs found in back of garages and junk stores for the "romantics" and those who need something to stake their tomato plants.

Not everyone can afford to go out and buy the "NEWEST" clubs on the market ever year or two on top of the cost to play as well. In fact I know more people playing older equipment then I ever see with a full bag of brand new clubs not to mention it's the player that shoots the low score not the clubs. You keep feeding your money to the big golf companies and I spend mine on practice time. Neither of us are right or wrong and it really makes no matter as long as we improve in the end. I love my old clubs and wouldn't trade them for Tigers bag. I have a newer driver and putter the rest are just fillers for the distances inbetween. Its not about the age or technology in a club its all about how you swing it ;)

:titleist: Woods :titleist: Irons :titleist: Wedges :cleve: Putter

Originally Posted by Pigems

Not everyone can afford to go out and buy the "NEWEST" clubs on the market ever year or two on top of the cost to play as well. In fact I know more people playing older equipment then I ever see with a full bag of brand new clubs not to mention it's the player that shoots the low score not the clubs. You keep feeding your money to the big golf companies and I spend mine on practice time. Neither of us are right or wrong and it really makes no matter as long as we improve in the end. I love my old clubs and wouldn't trade them for Tigers bag. I have a newer driver and putter the rest are just fillers for the distances inbetween. Its not about the age or technology in a club its all about how you swing it ;)

Agree - and would also add that some people can afford to buy new clubs but just choose not to.  Speaking for myself, the clubs are not what are keeping my scores from getting lower.  Because of this, I prefer to just keep what I've got and keep working on my swing.  Of course, my clubs (except my putter) are only 10 years old, not 20, but the principle is still the same.  If you're swing is good, you can shoot a low round with old clubs, if you're swing is not good, you can't shoot a low round with any clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teed off View Post

WHY?

Why play with old technology, unless you want to "experience" the way golf "used to be played"

Partly that. I'm currently putting together a second set of clubs to remind myself of what I was hitting when I first started playing in the early 1980s. The golfing equivalent of driving a classic car, I suppose (no point complaining that your Triumph TR6 or whatever doesn't have cruise control and anti-lock brakes).

I have some lovely Powerbilt Citation woods that were refinished by a guy in North Carolina, and look like they did when they were first on sale in a pro shop in around 1982. Soon, I'll start looking around on fleabay for a set of MacGregors in decent nick. I still have my Dad's old Acushnet Bullseye in my attic. A bit of polish and and a new grip is all that is needed. I reckon the place to find a retro bag is any charity shop (usually hidden at the back, surrounded by obsolete exercise equipment and Mantovani LPs).

At the end of the day, there is now a small but significant section of the golfing world that loves Hickory golf and plays it enthusiastically. My 1970s/80s set will look space-age in comparison! I think there is fun to be had from sometimes playing yesterday's clubs.

Quote:

He might not game one, but he apparently owns something an awful lot like it, and has used it:

From the Louisville golf website. See: http://www.louisvillegolf.com/About/SpecialProjects.aspx

Tiger Woods . In 2004 we made a special Persimmon driver for the then No. 1 golfer in the world. Nike's master club designer, Tom Stites, who once worked at the Ben Hogan Company, commissioned us to replicate a Cleveland Classic Persimmon driver Tiger used in the off-season to sharpen his ball-striking.

Quote:
Take advantage of the new technology and enjoy playing the game of golf. Leave the old clubs found in back of garages and junk stores for the "romantics" and those who need something to stake their tomato plants.

I try not to buy into the manufacturers' hype. If someone believed all the advertising blurb about "new technology," they'd be forgiven for thinking that last year's clubs are so utterly obsolete that staking tomato plants is, indeed, all they are good for.

Modern clubs may behave differently (I find my Tour Edge Exotics irons get the ball up faster than any irons I've ever played before - and I appreciate the benefit this technology brings). But added to my bag this very year was a Ping Zing 2 2-iron of early 1990s vintage - the easiest "driving iron" (so to speak) off the tee I've ever found. A true junk store find (all it needed was re-gripping)! Very, very long, and very, very easy to hit. Sometimes the older technology can still surprise. I can't believe that any long iron Ping makes today for the amateur market could actually improve upon their Zing 2 design of 3 decades ago.

i play new clubs, but i'm a equipment junky. If there is something new out there i sure look into it. I'm not always buying but i look after it.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I play exclusively with a set of irons made my RAM in 1980. Golden Ram Frequency Matched Tour Grind muscle back irons .  2 iron - PW.  I bought the set off ebay for $50 14 years ago to practice ball striking on the range.  The more I practiced with them, the more I loved them.  I started playing practice rounds with them and absolutely fell in love with being able to work the ball either direction and more than anything being able to control trajectory.  The feel was amazing, especially pitch and chip shots inside 100 yards with the wedge.  Spin was great too.

I've now been playing with them for over 12 years.  I've had other sets of irons over the last 20 years, and I always choose these.  Just sold several other sets of irons I never used and just kept these.  My handicap is down to 2.5 and I have shot two under par rounds in the last month.

Back in the day, RAM was ahead of their time.  An off the shelf set of frequency matched, balanced, weighted, and spine-aligned clubs was high end.  That's why they feel so consistent all the way through the set.  New irons today are just epoxied so the shaft logos all are turned the same direction.  Just pumping out expensive mass produced irons with no thought to frequency matching, balancing, weighting, lofts, spine alignment of shafts, etc.

I had a set of irons once that I loved the 7 irons and pured it a mile, but the 5 irons I couldn't hit for anything.  The others were inconsistent.  Come to find out, it had to do with inconsistency of weight, balance, and spine alignment of the shafts

So, in the end I bought a really nice set of expensive irons back in the day on the cheap because people dismiss them and the demand is low.  Once I tried them, I'll never play anything else.  Granted, given the loft differences between older irons and newer irons, I don't hit them as far as some newer sets, but I know the distances I hit them and they are consistent.  My distances on full shots are:

P  115

9  125

8  140

7  155

6  170

5  185

4  200

3  215

2  230

I also play with a Ping Zing putter I've had for over 20 years.  I also play with a new RBZ Driver, a Cobra Super Steel 3 wood, and a Mizuno 17* hybrid.  And a Titleist Vokey 54* SW.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

I use Hogan Apex Plus Irons (3-PW; Spalding era) and I use a 58 Riviera Wedge and a C-455 5-wood. I also put with a Hogan BHB11 ('The Hawk') putter.

They are my everyday clubs, and I *really* like them.  ...wish I could buy a brand new set, but I'll probably buy a new set in two years or so. (New putter first.)

Well, I don't play old clubs anymore but I played a set of Ping irons for about 17 years and the original Callaway Big Bertha woods (Driver - 3 wood - 5 wood) for almost as long.  Unless you simply can't afford any sticks I don't see the point in playing the really old stuff with the plethora of choices we have at our disposal that make the game more fun and enjoyable.  You still have to be able to swing the sticks decently but technology does help.

Why play with old technology, unless you want to "experience" the way golf "used to be played" by Hogan, Nicklaus etc, or are you dumpster diving to search for the cheapest way to hit a golf ball.

Haha, see my sig--my bag looks like I went dumpster diving, LOL. I put this together a couple years ago to have a "car trunk" bag, and now its my main bag. I added the semi modern hybrids. I play better with this bag than anything I have tried. I also have a set of blades and persimmon that I play occasionally, yes to keep in touch with the feel and sounds of how it once was like others have said the same way some folks like classic cars, boats, firearms, etc.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

A sincere "thank you" for using the word "plays" in your title.  I've had it with the word "game" being used as a verb, as in "I game Wilson Staff irons."  No you don't.  "Game" isn't a verb and isn't a synonym for "play".  At least not according to the dictionary or thesaurus.  Plus the fact that it would look and sound ridiculous if I said that "I game the Gamer V2 from Top Flite", which is my ball of choice.

Rant over.  Return to what you were doing.

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

A sincere "thank you" for using the word "plays" in your title.  I've had it with the word "game" being used as a verb, as in "I game Wilson Staff irons."  No you don't.  "Game" isn't a verb and isn't a synonym for "play".  At least not according to the dictionary or thesaurus.  Plus the fact that it would look and sound ridiculous if I said that "I game the Gamer V2 from Top Flite", which is my ball of choice.

Rant over.  Return to what you were doing.

Seconded.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I have a 10 year old set of Wilson fluid feel fatshafts I just bought probably 60-70 dollars for you guys £40 in UK money. They are fantastic to swing and hit. The urethane insert gives a lovely feel better than other irons I have played. Interestingly it came with a GW which was from the deep red 2 set. They took out the insert and it's horrible. I have played newer sets but hands down these are the best irons I've used. I think most players the age of the irons in particular doesn't matter so much it's down to playability. However I would agree that taking advantage of modern hybrids and fairway woods is a no brained. Mine are only a couple of years old and they are so easy to hit why handicap yourself.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!