IGNORED

BUNKER INSTRUCTION /Bunker play

iceman777
Note: This thread is 3070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bunker play is killing my game .  Tried and read everything , on my own .  I'll be in Sarasota and Venice Fl for a few months this winter . Does anyone know , by chance , of a school or pro near those areas where I might take a few lessons ?

3 minutes ago, iceman777 said:

Bunker play is killing my game .  Tried and read everything , on my own .  I'll be in Sarasota and Venice Fl for a few months this winter . Does anyone know , by chance , of a school or pro near those areas where I might take a few lessons ?

Check out the thread below. Post a video of your bunker shot in your My Swing thread or create one if you don't have one. You'll get great advice there. I did a few weeks back.

How to Hit Sand/Bunker Shots

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, iceman777 said:

I originally learned to play out of bunkers with Phil Mickelson's method, which was very good and educational, but I found it hard to switch between sand types without practice. The best thing to take away from Mickelson's tutorial is the importance of continuing the follow through, in my personal experience.

At the recommendation of people on this site, I tried the method taught be Pete Cowen that is much more reliant on engaging the bounce and I've found it easier and more reliable.

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

In addition to the above, I found Sieckmann to have good thoughts on bunker play. Less body, more arms. I have his vids, and what I liked coming down to the ball was pointing the butt end of the grip at the ball in a relaxed fashion so the clubhead passes the hands.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

A guy once told me to just use my normal fat shot swing for green side bunkers. For faiway bunkers use my normal thin shot swing. Sure there's more to it than that, but sometimes "simple" works too. :-D

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

The video that @boogielicious linked to is a really good one. The technique that Mike describes in it is the one that I've been using for the past six months or so. 

Not to sound like an informercial, but I was terrible bunker player before I started putting that technique into use, and now I daresay that i'm almost a good bunker player now. I hit the green essentially every time from greenside bunkers, and I'm around 50% closer than I was before. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

28 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

The video that @boogielicious linked to is a really good one. The technique that Mike describes in it is the one that I've been using for the past six months or so. 

Not to sound like an informercial, but I was terrible bunker player before I started putting that technique into use, and now I daresay that i'm almost a good bunker player now. I hit the green essentially every time from greenside bunkers, and I'm around 50% closer than I was before. 

I think they're all good ... I've used all of the vids posted here in the present or past.

It's just what feel or thought works for you.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

An important aspect of bunker play that I see golfers in my groups do is that they go at it too hard.  I take a very controlled swing.  The ball only has to go a few feet in the air generally.  Take a smooth swing and make sure you're entering the sand where you want.  Then all you have to do is gauge the rollout.  Don't worry about getting the ball to check up until you've mastered the simple "get it out and let it roll" shot.

Unless it's plugged badly, a bunker shot is often easier than greenside rough.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

42 minutes ago, vangator said:

An important aspect of bunker play that I see golfers in my groups do is that they go at it too hard.  I take a very controlled swing.  The ball only has to go a few feet in the air generally.  Take a smooth swing and make sure you're entering the sand where you want.  Then all you have to do is gauge the rollout.  Don't worry about getting the ball to check up until you've mastered the simple "get it out and let it roll" shot.

Unless it's plugged badly, a bunker shot is often easier than greenside rough.

Yes, from what all of these vids and instruction have in common is speed up after the ball - I guess it occurs before impact with the sand but the idea is to keep the arms moving. Gary Player says, "strike it like a match." Sieckmann says to speed up through the ball (or something similar).

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Hit the sand behind the ball and ensure you go underneath and the ball will come out on a cushion of sand.  Never hit the ball.  Don't get too steep though.  Shallow swing which will go a few inches below the ball.  Basically it should be the bottom of the arc in your swing

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Leading edge cuts through the sand, then the bounce lifts the club. A good swing in greenside bunkers is often related to a "thump" the sound of the bounce making contact to the firm surface below the sand.

Sand conditions vary at many courses, different technic's are required. This where the skill level of a player will adjust to conditions. A basic bunker player can use varying methods to achieve various results. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

5 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Leading edge cuts through the sand, then the bounce lifts the club. A good swing in greenside bunkers is often related to a "thump" the sound of the bounce making contact to the firm surface below the sand.

Not sure the bounce lifts the club up. The bounce just helps the club from digging deep into the sand. 

33 minutes ago, iceman777 said:

Does the leading edge of the club or the bottom of the club hit the sand first ?

Depends on the bounce and grind of the club. If you lay the club open flat then the bound might hit the sand before the leading edge. Here is a cool slow motion video of Keegan Bradley hitting a bunker shot. I would say the bounce hits the sand first, maybe the same time. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Not sure the bounce lifts the club up.

Not any in fluffy sand, on wet compact surface a club will react to the firm surface, such as a bouncing effect. Also pending on AoA, the bounce would seem null. The "lifting", I see where that term was incorrect. Thanks for pointing that out, Matt.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

57 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Not sure the bounce lifts the club up. The bounce just helps the club from digging deep into the sand. 

Potayto-potahto.  If we're being pedantic, sure, it's not the perfect word, but the sentiment is accurate.  Preventing the club from digging (i.e. going more down) is not that different from lifting.

watching Nancy Lopez doing golf academy and she substitutes a marshmallow for a golf ball  and attempt a sand shot with a marshmallow instead of the ball and does a good job.

I think the standard greenside bunker shot is just a fat lob shot out of sand that is a little heavier and deeper than on soft turf.

Note: This thread is 3070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!