IGNORED

Which Tour Players take Monster Divots?

Natural Patrick
Note: This thread is 3073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

- PGA Tour: Davis Love is the only one that comes to mind for me. 

- LPGA Tour: Lexi Thompson

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Boo Weekley, Jesper Parnevik, Tiger, probably a couple others. Not too many guys at that level take big/deep divots.

Not a stock shot for Boo but you get the point.

23 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

- PGA Tour: Davis Love is the only one that comes to mind for me. 

Think so? I'd actually put him more on the shallow side. Saw him bombing high 3 woods off the deck and not taking any turf.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Boo Weekley, Jesper Parnevik, Tiger, probably a couple others. Not too many guys at that level take big/deep divots.

Not a stock shot for Boo but you get the point.

Think so? I'd actually put him more on the shallow side. Saw him bombing high 3 woods off the deck and not taking any turf.

Every time I've seen him hit, he takes really deep divots, at least with his irons. I probably just caught him at the times when he was doing that, though. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

55 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Douchebag Bubba Watson does as well.

A tad uncalled for. 

I was going to say Phil. He can get very steep on his swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Lexi was the one that came to mind for me too.  She is stuh - eep!!!

It kills her on the course, too. She hits a ton of greens but her proximity to the hole suffers because those ridic deep divots. 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Anyone making an approach shot after they just double-bogeyed the previous hole?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Sergio takes good sized divots. I've heard mvmac lacas and Dave say the pros don't take large divots. I guess it's a perspective thing because I repeatedly see the guys on tour flying huge pelts in the air when hitting wedges and even short irons to the green. Not as often with long irons, but I wouldn't call the divots I see from most pros small.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Sergio takes good sized divots. I've heard mvmac lacas and Dave say the pros don't take large divots. I guess it's a perspective thing because I repeatedly see the guys on tour flying huge pelts in the air when hitting wedges and even short irons to the green. Not as often with long irons, but I wouldn't call the divots I see from most pros small.

I notice a lot of times during televised tournaments you can see the fairway is just shredded, there are hunks and chunks of grass all over the place.  Lots of divots being taken of considerable size in my opinion.  Tiger took the biggest one I have ever seen and I think it was Faherty who just goofed on him for like five minutes showing it over and over again. 

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I've heard mvmac lacas and Dave say the pros don't take large divots. I guess it's a perspective thing

Yeah I don't think they're as large as you perceive them to be. You'll definitely see them take more turf with the wedges and short irons but even then the divots are "deep". @iacas says tour players divots are bacon strip sized, not pork chop sized :-)

Most of them are like this:

The proper divot depth varies by the conditions (wet, firm), the lie (uphill, downhill), the type of shot you want to play, and so on. Let's assume average conditions for all of them and a relatively stock shot. In this case, with a 6-iron, the divot should get through the fairway grass and expose dirt. It'll be the "one piece" type of divot that's on the edge of falling apart (again, given relatively average conditions - and they may vary in your area, because Bermuda divots tend to fall apart more easily in my experience - I'm talking about moist but not wet poa/bent/bluegrass divots). With a wedge the divot will want to stay together a bit more with more dirt, and with a long iron will be mostly grass with the bottom of the club just reaching the dirt. Why? Again, you have more shaft lean with wedges than you do with long irons. With a fairway metal or hybrid? Scuff marks will suffice.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!