IGNORED

The first few inches of the takeaway

craps
Note: This thread is 3070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Just now, craps said:

I admire Raymond Floyd  the most cos' his back swing is so wrong and yet he is so right at the top of the swing.

Which goes to show how relatively unimportant the first part of the backswing often is…

Let me put it this way, too: as a 24 handicap, I would imagine there are a lot of other more important priorities you could attack.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And as an 8hcp....I'm letting this go.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 11/21/2015, 4:18:15, craps said:

What I am preaching here is using a neutral grip and then as one moves the club to waist high, incorporate a slight inward rotation of hands towards left. 

This has worked for me WHEN an actual correction is not.  My miss is a push, but it's almost always caused by a lack of upper body rotation. I am good at disassociation so the lower body tends to turn through, but my miss is the upper body stalling. The rotating the arms left is a bandaid, for me, usually no more than a few swings. 

On 11/21/2015, 1:53:15, iacas said:

Which goes to show how relatively unimportant the first part of the backswing often is…

Let me put it this way, too: as a 24 handicap, I would imagine there are a lot of other more important priorities you could attack.

Did you ever play the word game where you say a word over and over until it sounds wrong? Something unconscious becomes hyper aware and now it seems weird.

That's what I fear about analyzing tiny fragments of the swing.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Great topic here! I agree with the idea that the first few inches may not necessarily make or break the perfect swing. However, for myself... what starts in the firsy few inches sometime continues throughout my swing. I spent a few hours at the range today working on getting a good impact with my driver (using Dr. Scholls to spray the face). I was working on trying not to straighten the right elbow too soon (before impact). What really seems to help is, starting the takeaway with the LEFT side (arms/wrists/shoulder). This helps to relax the right side (I try to think of the right arm as a backseat passenger). As I reach the top, start the downswing with hips/weight forward) while almost keeping the right elbow stuck to my side as the swing progresses to impact.... engaging with hips and the LEFT side... everything else with arms/clubface is a naturally reaction to the above. Now, I am only a student here learning how to play and all this could be completely wrong. But the result was about 90% on or near the sweetspot at impact. Hope this helps.

Dave

9 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Did you ever play the word game where you say a word over and over until it sounds wrong? Something unconscious becomes hyper aware and now it seems weird.

That's what I fear about analyzing tiny fragments of the swing.

Great thought here.  Very true as simple "feels" can change over time. 

Dave

Note: This thread is 3070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!