IGNORED

Game Golf people - handling temporary greens

mailman
Note: This thread is 3076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Game golf people,

This is in relation to temporary greens.

I ask this question on the basis that Ive looked through the current edition of "Rules of Golf" and can't find anything in there about how Temporary Greens are handled (ie. whether the mowed area around a temporary green counts as GIR/putt on a green etc?). My assumption (which most likely is wrong:) is that the marked area around the temporary green is treated as if it was a putting area, so any putts on that part of the course would count as if you were on a proper green).

So the question is, is there a simple way for Game Golf to handle temporary greens? For example moving the flag to where the temporary green is on your course and then being able to set the "green" (for example creating a 10 yard circle around the green) area and so on? I ask this because in my round today we had 3 temporary greens (5 putts in total BUT my putting total for the round shows these holes as all being zero putts).

If Ive not understood the rules of golf for how temporary greens are handled then please let me know and Ill delete this thread (or ask Erik to kill it for me).

Regards

Mailman

Edited by mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, mailman said:

I ask this question on the basis that Ive looked through the current edition of "Rules of Golf" and can't find anything in there about how Temporary Greens are handled (ie. whether the mowed area around a temporary green counts as GIR/putt on a green etc?). My assumption (which most likely is wrong:) is that the marked area around the temporary green is treated as if it was a putting area, so any putts on that part of the course would count as if you were on a proper green).

This was just clarified in the WPGA meeting I attended.

Holes with temporary greens or tees (so long as they're not just 10 yards away from your tees or something) are counted as par + handicap. That's for the handicapping, not really the "Rules of Golf" per se (which also say nothing about how stats are calculated).

I think if I was playing temporary greens I'd… skip tagging stuff in GG.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, mailman said:

My OCD won't allow me to play partial rounds of golf iacas :)

Since you're in the UK, I don't know what your handicapping rules are. I gave you the USGA's stance. Holes with temp greens or tees are unplayed holes: you take par + handicap.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like that, an automatic net Par for Temporary greens.  I have always played them as attempt your first putt and if you miss pick it up and count 2 putts.  But the net par makes more sense as you're not playing the hole as designed.  

Butch

The course will usually give a steep discount if they have a number of temporary greens and tees. A local course had 7 for half of one season and was charging $10 for a round. The closely mowed areas of the fairway were very clearly marked and could be seen easily. Auto-two putt. Still made for great practice rounds at the price - better than any driving range. I played three to four rounds a week and only reported my league round on my home course since there was fewer than 13 holes played under ROG.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 21 November 2015 23:57:58, iacas said:

Since you're in the UK, I don't know what your handicapping rules are. I gave you the USGA's stance. Holes with temp greens or tees are unplayed holes: you take par + handicap.

Where I play if there are temporary greens then the round is a non-qualifier (you can't use it for handicapping purposes).

For competition purposes (as we are in the middle our of Christmas spirit competitions (quite literally as the prizes are alcohol:) the holes are still counted as par+hcp but you can't use it for handicapping (either cutting or increasing).

My course is on the edge of the River Ouse and when the river floods it spills over on to our course and ends up being closed for weeks on end. Except for last year, it was an usually warm and dry winter but the previous year it was closed from the 24th of December due to rain right through to the middle of January and then the snow arrived keeping the course closed through until March! :(

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Note: This thread is 3076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!