IGNORED

Spike Marks on Someone Else's Line

colin007
Note: This thread is 3067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

IMHO, fixing spike marks would certainly fall under "these additional circumstances are not actually exceptions to the principle,they are in the nature of granting relief from a part of the course not in proper condition", just as much as fixing a ball mark.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, colin007 said:

IMHO, fixing spike marks would certainly fall under "these additional circumstances are not actually exceptions to the principle,they are in the nature of granting relief from a part of the course not in proper condition", just as much as fixing a ball mark.

+1.

On 11/24/2015, 4:31:26, Martyn W said:

To those who think that not being permitted to repair spikemarks on the line of putt is 'a dumb rule', I would remind you of Mr. Tuft's explanation.

" Of all the basic principles, the playing of the course as you find it is certainly one of the most sacred, and those who violate it can hardly have acquired an understanding or appreciation of the game"

".....it is necessary to recognize that the Rules do grant what at first may appear to be certain exceptions to playing the course as you find it. However, all these additional circumstances are not actually exceptions to the principle,they are in the nature of granting relief from a part of the course not in proper condition (Rule 23, 24 and 25 exceptions) and .......ball marks on the putting green.

(Page 10, The principles behind the Rules of Golf)

And it's decisions like these that makes me feel that golf gives the impression that it's a stuffy person's game. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

28 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I think you are confusing 'proper condition' with 'perfect condition'. Would you be ok with a player carrying a roller and using it on his line of putt? If not, why not?

2 hours ago, Rulesman said:

I have 3 different types from here. Worn for different circumstances. All exceptionally comfortable.

http://www.eccogolf.co.uk/Home.aspx

I've never had ECCO shoes but I wear ECCO sandals (not golf) all summer long and they have to be about the most comfortable footwear I own.  ECCO is not cheap but they do make a quality product.

I don't wear golf shoes because I haven't found any yet that are any more comfortable or effective for me than my Merrell hikers, and the hikers give me more foot and ankle support on uneven terrain.  

I rarely play on wet grass.  This part of Colorado is semi-arid, and my swing is pretty smooth, so I've never needed a very aggressive spike system.  I've actually played in a pair of Rockport walking shoes that had no tread at all on the soles - they were smooth and flat and worked just fine for me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

@boogielicious I've worn those shoes in drizzle without issue. There was sufficient traction. I didn't notice any slipping. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 2015-11-28, 9:55:38, Martyn W said:

I think you are confusing 'proper condition' with 'perfect condition'. Would you be ok with a player carrying a roller and using it on his line of putt? If not, why not?

If players were allowed to repair spike marks then some would state that every perceived imperfection on a putting green was an "old" spike mark and tap them down on their line of putt: (a) giving them a advantage, and (b) significantly slowing up play.  The spike mark solution is simple:  (1) After you putt out, tap down all spike marks in the vicinity of the hole so that all of the following groups won't have any interference by them.  (2) Pick up your feet.

• Upvote 3

there is so many spikes marks around the hole from golfers up walking to the hole all day that it's not possible to completely smooth . I rather see small dimples than scoff marks around the hole from people dragging their feet.  

maybe it's best to stroke the ball enough speed so it doesn't wobble when gets to the hole   

Note: This thread is 3067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!