IGNORED

Sick of Kelly Tilghman?

SubPar
Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I appreciate the lecture on broadcasting techniques, but I've work in and around the industry for a long time. It was no flaw in my argument that I had not considered the "set up" as an explanation, because I had. It's just that it does not stand up to observation.

I'm aware of the kind of set-up you are talking about and you hear it all the time between sports commentators. Johnny Miller and his crew are good at "the handoff". But it does not seem to work that way with KT. As I said before, she makes these dumb remarks and no one responds to her. That would indicate a lack of "set up". It would appear her fellow commentators don't respect her knowledge of the game and probably wonder why they have to sit and converse with a dim bulb anyway. The fact she has not been among the principal announcers for the last few weeks indicates TGC might agree with me. She's been reduced to doing intros, interviews and bumpers. SubPar

• Administrator
As I said before, she makes these dumb remarks and no one responds to her. That would indicate a lack of "set up".

It would indicate to me a lack of response. She does the setup - they just don't respond as you said.

As to why nobody responds, it could be a lot of things, including: a) they feel similarly to you about Kelly b) they're egotistical nuts who couldn't care less about being part of a team Johnny Miller and Nick Faldo could belong in either camp.
The fact she has not been among the principal announcers for the last few weeks indicates TGC might agree with me. She's been reduced to doing intros, interviews and bumpers.

They may. I still don't really care one way or the other.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

- She is not a good announcer

Many think so, but is she bad? I wouldn't call many announcers in any sports

good and on the same hand, there are not many that I'd call bad .
- She has weak golf credentials, relative to other candidates

You really don't need good golf credentials to be a good announcer. In basketball, there are several analysts and announcers who have little playing experience (Dick Vitale for one). And look at how many terrible announcers were great basketball players (Barkley and Reggie Miller). My guess is that the PGA has the same thing going on.

- There are many other better people for the job

Well, there are almost 7 billion people in the world. I'm sure you could find just

one person who would be a great announcer. Stats are on your side.
- People with this lack of talent and weak credentials seldom just "work their way up"

Very true. I can't really refute this one. Except the fact that many think she has great credentials. IMO, it doesn't matter how good or bad of a player/coach/etc. that you are. It won't make you a good or bad announcer. People like familiar names. And I guess to many, Tilghman is a familiar name.

I, personally, could do without a lot of announcers. There are very few that I like and Tilghman is not on that list (I didn't like the lynching comment at all!). She's not the best, but I've seen worse. And she's not going anywhere.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I would change the name to head in sand.

OK, so maybe she played competitive golf. So what--so have I. The point is she has no business commentating on golf. PERIOD!!!! I will take Dottie Pepper over her(and most guy announcers also) because Dottie definitely sounds like she knows what she is talking about--and she can get away with calling the US team "chokin' freakin' dogs"--because Dottie has been there. Dottie sells herself so much better, as does Judi Rankin. KT just doesn't fit in this position. I do agree with the suggestion that since she is good friends with Arnold Palmer( and Tiger-who else can suggest someone be taken back in the alley and be lynched, and get slapped on the wrist for it). She must have the wrong kind of pictures of someone to still be in the position she is in.

OK, so maybe she played competitive golf. So what--so have I. The point is she has no business commentating on golf. PERIOD!!!! I will take Dottie Pepper over her(and most guy announcers also) because Dottie definitely sounds like she knows what she is talking about--and she can get away with calling the US team "chokin' freakin' dogs"--because Dottie has been there. Dottie sells herself so much better, as does Judi Rankin. KT just doesn't fit in this position.

Wow, that's intelligent commentary. The point you missed was that some have stupidly claimed that she has no experience in golf, that is simply not true.

I'm sure you have played competitive golf, if you are intending it to correlate to her career, then I'm assuming you were a successful major college player and played on the PGA tour, otherwise your experience is irrelevant and hers is relevant. She isn't there to do what Dottie Pepper does. She is there to do what Dan Hicks does at NBC, and I'd rather listen to her than him any day. Obviously, you would not. But silly comments about Arnold Palmer and that which shall not be spoken of in this thread don't really add to the discussion.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

• Administrator
...and she can get away with calling the US team "chokin' freakin' dogs"...

Dottie didn't "get away with" that one. There are some players who

still won't talk to her. The rest of your comment was addressed already. Like Kelly or not - I don't really care - but don't make up things to "support" your position.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love this thread. So, to be a successful golf announcer sitting in the booth with the camera on you from time to time, it seems too obvious for words that you need to offer a certain package. Faldo sits where he sits because he's got the knowledge, the golf background, the wit, the looks, and the right charming mother-tongue in his voice to do the job with a certain degree of charisma. Kelly T is there for the same reason -- reasonable minds might differ on how strongly she serves each of the necessary traits, but in general it is hard to argue that she doesn't offers a well-rounded package: (i) she's relatively attractive; (ii) she's the proud owner of a solid golf resume (that is, she knows the sport sufficiently well to have been able to compete in Division I and professional golf, which is more than well enough to sit in the booth as a sidekick); (iii) she's objectively not stupid or witless, and in fact she can return the ball from time to time; and (iv) she has a recognizable voice thing (which I don't like, as I said above, but which presumably others do). I can't say people who do not love her are wrong to feel that way; nor is it crazy to say you would prefer someone else; but I do think it is rather, I don't know, parsimonious? crabbed? uncharitable? unreasonable? to speculate that she owes her place at TGC to some sort of Arnold-based nepotism, rather than the studied conclusion of the casting folks at TGC about how well her package is suited to the general TV audience for their product.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

• 4 years later...

No, no, no.

Kelly tries too hard to paint pretty pictures, analogies, etc. with her words. It comes off as sentimental and maudlin.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I agree. But I'll take her any day over McCord.

Agree McCord belongs in a movie like Tin Cup with a beer faucet as a mic. Who was that heavy set foreigner that used to announce..he was good and I loved his comments Kelly's voice is annoying and so are some of her comments.

Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!