IGNORED

Golf is hard. It certainly is!

RussUK
Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To quote @iacas new avatar "Golf is hard". Well, it chuffing is!. I was at the end of my teather with how bad things had gotten so took a break from playing to take a look at where my game is, where i want it to be and how to get there.

It had been sugested to go the "alternate swing" route. So i looked at Symple Swing by Joe Davidson. Now his Symple chipping system actually works great but the full swing?, well not good. Weight 80% on back foot, front leg straight, back knee bent forward and in and on ball of foot. It just made me look like a really rubbish Elvis impersonator on a golf day.

So that wasnt for me, Elvis had definately left the building!. In the end i just decided to make my swing more compact with a "shorter" back swing and a connected follow through as oppsed the "PGA" finish and i was amazed by the difference. I dont want to use this word but cant think of another that fits, but the swing seemed "easier", more subconcious.

Most of the instructional material i have read advocates the straight lead arm and the backswing and swing to a wrap around finish or hands high. Is this really needed in order to generate sufficient  power/swing speed?

or can a compact swing done properly achieve the same?

any of the guys here have a compact swing and have good results?

Edited by RussUK

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not certain - depends on what "compact" means to you, and your swing issue(s).

Looking down a range line, I see non-turns - arms do something, shoulders do not, very long swing, swings that are not connected, etc.

You hear the word "compact", and commentators complimenting a compact swing - and it looks connected without excess movement. At a loss for words here, maybe a pro can post help.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

There are times when I use a some what compact swing. I use it when accuracy is a must. It is more like a punch shot and 99% of the time I use it with my irons on approach shots. i Will also use this abbreviated swing when I just dont have my "A" game swing. I usally know what kind swing I will have that day prior to a round. 

It'just a 1/2-3/4 back swing where I use a little faster hip turn. My arms and hand follow what my hips are doing which ends in my normal finish. I tend to keep more weight on my lead foot through out the swing. I also tend to grip the club a little lower which also adds control to the club head. The only down side is the loss of some distance with each club. I counter this problem by using a longer than my normal club for the distance needed. 

Ball flight is much lower with more run after the carry. Of course turf conditions have big impact on that run out. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, RussUK said:

To quote @iacas new avatar "Golf is hard". Well, it chuffing is!

Not just an avatar… a trademarked term and, shortly, a line of t-shirts. ;-)

30 minutes ago, RussUK said:

So that wasnt for me, Elvis had definately left the building!. In the end i just decided to make my swing more compact with a "shorter" back swing and a connected follow through as oppsed the "PGA" finish and i was amazed by the difference. I dont want to use this word but cant think of another that fits, but the swing seemed "easier", more subconcious.

Most of the instructional material i have read advocates the straight lead arm and the backswing and swing to a wrap around finish or hands high. Is this really needed in order to generate sufficient  power/swing speed?

or can a compact swing done properly achieve the same?

If you've found something that works for you, great. I am not in any way trying to rain on your parade, but I do have two questions or comments:

• Have you filmed this to see if "feel is real" in this case?
  • Most alternative swings sacrifice, as you noted, some potential distance, etc. They put an artificial ceiling on how good you can improve.

If you haven't broken 100, a swing that gets you into the 80s may be great, even if the ceiling is 85 (or floor, depending on how you look at it).

A punch shot is a good alternative swing for a player to have on days when the "normal swing" just ain't there. Take more club, the ball won't fly as high, but at least you should hit it more solid.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

35 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Most of the instructional material i have read advocates the straight lead arm and the backswing and swing to a wrap around finish or hands high. 

You don't need a straight lead arm. Check out Jordan Spieth, 

A4.JPG.5103654abc807fcf995e9809c8651112.

I think the hands high is more indicative of an outward swing path. A steep, inward swing path gets the hands traveling inside quickly into the finish. That has more to do with what you do in your swing than just trying to actually think about achieving it. I notice my finish changed when I improved my swing. It felt less flippy and slower. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

19 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

You don't need a straight lead arm. Check out Jordan Spieth, 

A4.JPG.5103654abc807fcf995e9809c8651112.

I think the hands high is more indicative of an outward swing path. A steep, inward swing path gets the hands traveling inside quickly into the finish. That has more to do with what you do in your swing than just trying to actually think about achieving it. I notice my finish changed when I improved my swing. It felt less flippy and slower. 

I read somewhere that the average bend in the lead arm among PGA pros is 10 degrees (or 10%) or something in that neighborhood. The data was from TPI - Titleist Performance Institute.

My own layman's thinking is trying to get that left arm straight makes people extend the arms too early, leads to EE, throwing out angles early. There's a difference between getting the hands going towards the target as soon as possible and straightening the lead arm. 

Another example - Jason Day.

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 10.19.00 AM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Unless you are stopping your backswing, and then collapsing all the arms I wouldn't worry about keeping that left arm straight. 

Of course I know a guy who can almost lay the club on his shoulders at the top of the swing. Very little backswing turn, lots of whip action and he shoots in the mid 80's. So, just to show you that one guy can almost do the complete opposite of what is recommended and play better than a lot of people who try to keep that left arm straight. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I've seen many golfers with compact swing who do well.   For struggling amateurs and older golfers, it is probably a preferred way to go.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Not just an avatar… a trademarked term and, shortly, a line of t-shirts. ;-)

If you've found something that works for you, great. I am not in any way trying to rain on your parade, but I do have two questions or comments:

• Have you filmed this to see if "feel is real" in this case?
  • Most alternative swings sacrifice, as you noted, some potential distance, etc. They put an artificial ceiling on how good you can improve.

If you haven't broken 100, a swing that gets you into the 80s may be great, even if the ceiling is 85 (or floor, depending on how you look at it).

A punch shot is a good alternative swing for a player to have on days when the "normal swing" just ain't there. Take more club, the ball won't fly as high, but at least you should hit it more solid.

Didnt go with the "alternative swing" in the end (Symple Swing) as it just didnt make sense. I found taking a shorter backswing and follow through (still finishing facing target etc, but with arms still connected to the torso) allowed me better contact. Going to film the more compact "normal" swing once ive trialled it a little longer.

Pants! didnt realise you had tradmarked the "Golf is Hard" term :-O. Suppose in need to pay 2 royalties now! :-D

46 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Unless you are stopping your backswing, and then collapsing all the arms I wouldn't worry about keeping that left arm straight. 

Of course I know a guy who can almost lay the club on his shoulders at the top of the swing. Very little backswing turn, lots of whip action and he shoots in the mid 80's. So, just to show you that one guy can almost do the complete opposite of what is recommended and play better than a lot of people who try to keep that left arm straight. 

No, lead are is just above paralell to the ground but is what id call "sort", through swing is chest facing target but arms connected anf hands opposite left shoulder

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

The key to any swing is consistency and repeatability.  There are so many tour pro's who don't have a "perfect, prototype" swing, but always bring the club back at the same angle and position everytime.  Provided you do that and know your ball flight, do not attempt to change your swing for the sake of it.  Muscle memory is an amazing thing

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

34 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Pants! didnt realise you had tradmarked the "Golf is Hard" term :-O. Suppose in need to pay 2 royalties now! :-D

You can always use "Golf is chuffing hard" since you came up with that phrase. :-D

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

The key to any swing is consistency and repeatability.

I disagree. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

Didnt go with the "alternative swing" in the end (Symple Swing) as it just didnt make sense. I found taking a shorter backswing and follow through (still finishing facing target etc, but with arms still connected to the torso) allowed me better contact. 

That's good to hear. Work with what you have and your priorities, not on a style of swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I always thought "chuffed" in England meant ,pleased/happy.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

19 hours ago, Lihu said:

You can always use "Golf is chuffing hard" since you came up with that phrase. :-D

haha, think that would make for an unusual T-shirt. maybe @iacas could add it to the new line :-D

16 hours ago, collapse said:

I always thought "chuffed" in England meant ,pleased/happy.

It's one of those multipurpose words, for example "Rory is chuffed to bits after winning the race to Dubai" and "Danny Willet cant chuffing believe he missed out on the race to Dubai"

I like multi use words. Please note the above is not how the news reported the recent events, which is a shame ;-)

17 hours ago, mvmac said:

That's good to hear. Work with what you have and your priorities, not on a style of swing.

Thanks Mike, finally seem to be finding my "own" swing. The alternative scene is intriguing but a lot seems to be advertising hype and no substance.

I use a very compact swing on my drive and hit it 275 straight. When I try to go farther back (which sometimes happens later in a round without realizing it), my shots are shorter and erratic. 

Compact FTW!!

@RussUK

Check out the thread below. It may be in line with what you are talking about in how your swing change feels. It worked well for me. If I go too far back, my left arm bends, but that is not the issue. The problem is my right arm gets stuck behind my side on the downswing and I will come over the top. Too long a swing can also cause the hips, head, etc. to move back.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!