IGNORED

Changes to Handicap System for 2016 Released

Braivo
Note: This thread is 2316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Although not practical, the most accurate handicaps, without a doubt, would be obtained by using only tournament scores. You play by the rules, try your hardest, etc. For those that would argue that they don't play well in tournaments or groups I would just say that's fine.  In the end your handicap would still be accurate in competitive rounds......and that's where the handicap needs to be accurate.

As far as not being able to post rounds played by yourself, I can see where it could be a problem for some, but I do understand why the USGA is making the change.  The handicap system, unlike the rules of golf, does put a lot of thought on how to protect honest players from dishonest ones.

Also if you think about it, this idea of not being able to play by yourself using the handicap system, is not without some precedents under the rules of golf.  You can't play by yourself in a tournament, you need a Marker.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have no issue with the change. I was discussing it with a guy I met playing on Sunday. He doesn't keep and official HC and frankly most of the people I play with routinely do not either.

My league creates a quota system based solely on the scores during league play that we play off.  Only a couple of the league players keep official HC. My weekly round with 3 close friends, who are also in the league, is based on the league scores plus the scores from our weekly rounds only and the HC is calculated from that. I play about once a month with a close friend who keeps a HC. All the above are competitive rounds as in for $$ or beer!

I also play on weekends with my wife and another couple routinely, which is more casual. I was entering those scores and any other scores into my GHIN HC. For the most part, they all fit the criteria. Usually my rounds as a single are either late in the year after the HC is closed in MA or early before it opens. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 hours ago, iacas said:

I now fully support this change, having given it some more thought. Handicaps are supposed to be used for competitive play, so rounds where you're not even remotely competing (i.e. because you're just out there with yourself) shouldn't be used.

I have come to this same conclusion. I started this thread, and initially I was frustrated with the change. 

I have now realized that handicaps exist for a single purpose - to make competitions fair. While the rules of golf do rely on the honor system to a point, I would guess the greatest amount of "cheating" happens within the handicap system. People not posting good scores "by accident", etc. 

I am now of the opinion that only rounds played with another player who is also recording their score for HI purposes should be counted. The scores would need to be entered into the system with each player verifying the other's score. 

• Upvote 1

- Mark

16 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Excellent point.  Playing with others necessarily slows the pace a bit and that can definitely affect scoring.  I see many posts from guys who say they play better when competing, others say they play better when playing alone.  In either case, adding the limitation of only posting when accompanied is going to lead in a direction that puts the flow of the game closer to what it is when playing in competition.  Seems to me that anything that promotes a more accurate handicap would be good for everyone.

Agreed. As someone who plays casually, with no near-term intent to compete, I've always felt guilty about even having a handicap. It never meant that much, because I can track my progress my own way and for me, it's good enough to know I'm a bit under bogey golf. My own measures are far more interesting to me than that handicap formula (0.96 times top 10 of 20 differentials).

My joy from golf for now is simply in improving and learning. One day, I'll compete, and enjoy that- and I'll take up a handicap again. Until then, I'll just track things myself and have a reasonable idea of where my handicap might be in competition (but as mentioned, the nerves will likely kick in and make me play worse).

I think the change is good. An official handicap will mean more, if it is tightened up a bit. Personally, I like the idea of a competition-only handicap. I don't look at it as questioning our integrity by disallowing solo rounds.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Realistically, I'm probably going to post the 10-15 rounds I play with someone. My handicap will be what ever and get used for my club championship, for what its worth. It probably isn't going to make much of a difference either way.

The business of tracking progress can be done without GHIN. 

48 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Realistically, I'm probably going to post the 10-15 rounds I play with someone. My handicap will be what ever and get used for my club championship, for what its worth. It probably isn't going to make much of a difference either way.

The business of tracking progress can be done without GHIN. 

To be honest, you aren't really tracking your game when the tool you are using only captures the best 10 of your last 20 ESC adjusted scores.  All you are tracking is the 50% of your game where you play well.  That isn't the way to identify areas where improvement is needed.  It's more logical in a quality improvement sense to use an average of all scores for an overall gauge.

The handicap system is intended to be used to balance the players in a match or the field in a stroke competition.  It's not designed to be meaningful in any other way.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

15 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

To be honest, you aren't really tracking your game when the tool you are using only captures the best 10 of your last 20 ESC adjusted scores.  All you are tracking is the 50% of your game where you play well.  That isn't the way to identify areas where improvement is needed.  It's more logical in a quality improvement sense to use an average of all scores for an overall gauge.

The handicap system is intended to be used to balance the players in a match or the field in a stroke competition.  It's not designed to be meaningful in any other way.

It's been a while since I messed with it, but I seem to recall a bunch of reports that detail all posted rounds and not just the ones that counted to HI. If I remember right I could drill all the way down to how I have done over the year on one particular hole.

Like I said, there are other ways.

20 hours ago, NJpatbee said:

I use the GHIN system to track my progress and as a baseline if I play a friendly $2 Nassau.  I do however play about half of my rounds alone and if they do not qualify for my HCP it only dilutes the accuracy of my index.  Based upon this change I will no longer use the USGA handicapping system (GHIN) and will find another organization (in Canada?) that will accept me or just use the latest software to track it.

When I play by myself, I am usually playing really fast (fast enough that many will doubt that I can play that fast). I feel like my scores are pretty much invalid anyway because there is no one there to witness it. The main reason I play is to stay comfortable on the course and maintain a reasonable short game.

The other thing I noticed is that my scores when playing alone are nearly identical to ones where I am playing casual or not so casual rounds with other people anyway. It's not like I go out there and shoot a 78 when playing alone then 98 when playing with others.

If you are concerned about winning a lot more Nassau, there shouldn't be any worry. Everyone else is subject to the same requirements. It kind of evens out. Maybe your handicap will go up a bit, but so will everyone's handicap. However, I doubt that this change will affect many golfers, unless they are prone to playing outside the rules when playing alone?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I agree with the majority here, the index is used for competition and leveling by design.  However, I do use it as a way to have a solid goal in front of me, say to get to a 12, etc.  For this reason and the fact that I do play 50% of my rounds alone, I will continue to post in the manner I have been.   

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

It's been a while since I messed with it, but I seem to recall a bunch of reports that detail all posted rounds and not just the ones that counted to HI. If I remember right I could drill all the way down to how I have done over the year on one particular hole.

Like I said, there are other ways.

You're free to keep doing those other ways, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It will not be a major problem for me to track my progress (and potential) outside of the USGA handicapping system - I am 64 and a 17 HCP (until 2016) and have no plans to try qualifying for any USGA sanctioned championship.  The people I play matches against will accept my computer's handicap for our Nassau's and I will still enjoy the hell out of the game.  It does bother me that the governing organizations (USGA and R&A) clearly do not trust a golfer to play a round of golf alone and enter an honest score.   I have always done my best to play all rounds for my handicap strictly by the Rules of Golf.   Unfortunately some of us have to really work at playing 25 legitimate rounds in a season and to cut the number of handicap rounds to 10-12 in a season by my reasoning reduces the accuracy of the handicap.  If I played 100 rounds and could enter 90 scores that would be a much more accurate situation and I suspect that those of you in favor of the rule change are closer to that scenario. 

In my opinion, the USGA has adopted a handicapping system that excludes the golfer that plays many rounds alone -  Let's call it unintended consequences.  As for considering a round of golf played alone as non-competitive, we are worlds apart and to me the essence of the game is missed if the only competition one recognizes is a match against another golfer.  And if sandbaggers are the main target, this rule will not stop it - they will inflate their scores whether they are alone or in a group.  It may cut down on some vanity handicappers but I do not believe their numbers are great, and if you play in tournaments it is suicidal.

So, I am open to any recommendations for non-USGA handicapping systems or organizations.  I have been checking with the Canadian handicapping system but it appears you must belong to a course in Canada (not surprising).   

1 hour ago, NJpatbee said:

So, I am open to any recommendations for non-USGA handicapping systems or organizations.  I have been checking with the Canadian handicapping system but it appears you must belong to a course in Canada (not surprising).   

There are several online sites that will let you track your handicap. A few that come to mind: Myscorecard.com, ushandicap.com, thegrint.com, handicap.golfdigest.com

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

There are several online sites that will let you track your handicap. A few that come to mind: Myscorecard.com, ushandicap.com, thegrint.com, handicap.golfdigest.com

shotstohole.com is recommended for stats tracking. We're working with them on the LSW Playbook, too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

shotstohole.com is recommended for stats tracking. We're working with them on the LSW Playbook, too.

Just checked that out. That's a lot of stats.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

16 hours ago, iacas said:

shotstohole.com is recommended for stats tracking.

Looks great! ust snooped around their "Players" area at some screenshots, and they approach things the way I think makes sense. No nonsense stuff, and mostly direct, to the point, charts and graphs without the fluff.  I particularly like the "Shots Wasted" idea. But OT, I know, but thanks for the link.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator

We'll have a code for you guys for shotstohole.com here shortly… so if you want to wait for that, cool.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2015 at 2:29 PM, NJpatbee said:

And if sandbaggers are the main target, this rule will not stop it - they will inflate their scores whether they are alone or in a group.

Amen brother, never were truer words spoken....

Note: This thread is 2316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!