IGNORED

What's Your Favorite Thanksgiving Food?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's your favorite thing to eat on Turkey Day?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite thing to eat on Turkey Day?

• Turkey
    • Stuffing
    • Sweet Potatoes/Yams
    • Pie
    • Mashed Potatoes
    • Other

• Administrator

I voted turkey, because I smoke my turkey and it's incredible. I think second might be cranberry sauce, just because I get it so infrequently. Everything else I can eat and sometimes do throughout the year - mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing even, pumpkin pie you can eat starting around Halloween… Turkey I can eat whenever, too, but don't for some reason.

But… this year, like last year, my family is going to Cracker Barrel for Thanksgiving. $11 all told (plus tip) and you get turkey, ham, everything. Dessert, even. And no clean-up!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ever since starting to make my own cranberry sauce, that's been a revelation. It's so easy to make, no one should settle for that canned abomination. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

8 minutes ago, dkolo said:

Ever since starting to make my own cranberry sauce, that's been a revelation. It's so easy to make, no one should settle for that canned abomination. 

Agreed!  Four ingredients and very little time to make.

I voted stuffing, but it is really stuffing and cranberry sauce with a bit of gravy and pepper. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Its cornbread stuffing ... I love it.  It is also a bit sentimental for me ... my mom passed the recipe to me ... so when I make it, I feel truly feel like we are both in the kitchen together ... I make regardless of who else would eat it ... its for me and some my great memories of mom ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I voted turkey.  While I like oven baked turkey, the best tasting turkey I ever had was when I lived in Virginia and my neighbors deep fried it.

Joe Paradiso

Have to say none. It's the one day a year where people enjoy eating cafeteria food. I pick at my plate, take a nap later and get up and head out to whatever ethnic restaurant is open. 

Dave :-)

Grilled tender Ribs, sweet potato something, beer biscuits or sweet cornbread, moist turkey with gravy, a fine Syrah or Pinot Noir.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I would say cranberry sauce, but this year, mine is looking wrong. Hmmm. Everything seemed to be going ok, boiled water/sugar mixture, cranberries popped. But as it cools, it still looks like cranberry soup. Let's hope it congeals as it cools soon. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

19 hours ago, RandallT said:

I would say cranberry sauce, but this year, mine is looking wrong. Hmmm. Everything seemed to be going ok, boiled water/sugar mixture, cranberries popped. But as it cools, it still looks like cranberry soup. Let's hope it congeals as it cools soon. 

I may be odd, but I like the canned jellied cranberry sauce from Ocean Spray. You know the one that makes the "schlock" sound when you slide it out of the can! Homemade sauces do nothing for me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2015‎ ‎7‎:‎42‎:‎03‎, Golfingdad said:

My old very favorite part of thanksgiving used to be leftover turkey sandwiches on Friday.  White bread, turkey, mayo and lots of pepper, and that's it.

I voted "others" because my favorite thing about T-Day is leftovers.

Yummy, yummy, yummy, feels good in my tummy.

And, Brewski's. Nothing better than a cold one after dinner...

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

8 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I may be odd, but I like the canned jellied cranberry sauce from Ocean Spray. You know the one that makes the "schlock" sound when you slide it out of the can! Homemade sauces do nothing for me.

I grew up on that stuff!!! Totally guilty pleasure.

The homemade variety is a learned taste, and the amount of sugar is key.

OT: But this is an interesting thing I saw on PBS' "How Does it Grow?" show (short clips really) on cranberries, and I remember them saying that the east coast cranberry producing land is nearly entirely controlled by Ocean Spray, which grows 60% of the world's cranberries. 

The other fruits and veggies the show covers in different episodes are interesting too. Good for kids, because the clips are short.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

On 11/24/2015, 1:32:46, Gator Hazard said:

I love the whole meal but my favorite thing to do is really, really bad and I do it after the main dinner usually for a late night snack or lunch over the next few days.  I like to take those little dinner rolls that you heat up in the oven and cut a few of them in half.  Heat up a little bit of turkey, stuffing,  and gravy put some mayo on the dinner rolls, sprinkle with cracked pepper, add the stuffing, add the turkey, and add a dab of the heated gravy on top.  It makes the best little messy sandwiches.  You can even include a swipe of cranberry sauce.  Thank God Tday is only once a year.  Double thanks that we are not hosting this year and won't have all of the leftovers temptations for the next week.  I am seriously afraid I am going to gain back all of the weight I have lost in the past 5 or 6 weeks (about 8 lbs).

A few years ago I made a turkey pot pie with the leftovers and that was pretty tasty as well.

I'm with you. In fact since my friend hosted this year I had to make a Friday run to Vons to buy some turkey parts and cranberry sauce for late night.

And if you keep up the exercise and sensible eating on most days - you won't gain that weight back.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

On 11/26/2015, 12:35:35, RandallT said:

I made a three ingredient cranberry sauce this year. It is delicious. Just the right balance of sweet and tart. Cranberrys, OJ, and Honey. Here is the link to the recipe.
3-ingedient Paleo Cranberry Sauce

Doug

On 11/27/2015, 8:01:30, boogielicious said:

I also like the canned "sauce" (i think it of more as a jelly). Was terribly disappointed when it didn't make the table this year. It's not that I have anything against homemade, but I just like the canned stuff.

I love sweet potato casserole, but I have to say my absolute favorite part of Thanksgiving is the turkey skin.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for turkey, but turkey without cranberry sauce just isn't the same. It's nice to see that there are others out there who love cranberry sauce.

Note: This thread is 3053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!