IGNORED

Tips from Nancy Lopez

dchoye
Note: This thread is 3015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Been watching golf channel lately and there was a segment on putting by Nancy Lopez. Simple tip was that right hand for distance control and left hand for direction. This seem to work for me for longer distance putts.  Inside 15 feet I felt it was 50:50 both hands. 

Everyone has their own technique. I don't like the right had doing much other than steadying the club. If my right hand gets too involved, it start to accelerate and distance control suffers.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nancy is old time golf.

I keep the right hand out of it. In fact, my right hand hardly touches the grip. It wraps around the fingers of the left hand. It helps steady the putter.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

20 hours ago, dchoye said:

Been watching golf channel lately and there was a segment on putting by Nancy Lopez. Simple tip was that right hand for distance control and left hand for direction. This seem to work for me for longer distance putts.  Inside 15 feet I felt it was 50:50 both hands. 

I remember trying this, but using the right hand made me want to accelerate through the stroke and I end up with a bit of a push off-line. Now, I tend to keep an even pressure, no wrist movement and execute a pendulum stroke from the shoulders.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, dchoye said:

stricker teaches about uses the left arm as dominant arm 

he talks about bouncing the putter and slight foreward press

I do not like a forward press - it delofts the putter and can change the aim if not careful. Some golfers start with 4-5 degrees of loft and deloft, others like me, start with 2 degrees. Once you move those hands forward, you not only change the loft, you could change lie or aim slightly. Some don't think lie is a big deal ... aim is a factor.

I recognize that some like a trigger to start the stroke - the press. What I like to do is not stand still over the ball so I remain somewhat athletic - feet move slightly, body is loose while establishing address position.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I try to avoid overthinking it. I just grab the club comfortably and lightly before doing my best to smoothly roll the ball, allowing my arms to reach their peak velocity at the ball rather than attempting to accelerate through the putt.

What improved my putting was a tip I saw from Gary Player: don't move your head.   So I keep my eyes focused on the ground and don't even move my eyes until the ball is way down the line.   Even if I move my eyes it seems to throw me off a little!  

Another thing I discovered is on short putts, contact the ball with a slight upward stroke.   That seems to start the ball rolling very straight.  

34 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

Another thing I discovered is on short putts, contact the ball with a slight upward stroke.   That seems to start the ball rolling very straight.  

A pretty good tip for all putting :) 

On 11/25/2015 at 10:44 PM, dchoye said:

I don't really focus on hands. I just kinda putt. Since I don't suffer from something like yips and have pretty decent hand eye coordination I tend to just be as athletic with putting as I can. If you can call putting athletic :) 

I don't subscribe much to what Dave Pelz says but one thing that is pretty good is you have about 8 seconds from the time you make a practice stroke to hit the ball before you start to lose that feel of the practice stroke you made. Instead of trying to think about which hand is doing what I just putt. 

This is kinda similar to Dave Stockton on putting when he does not advocate taking a practice stroke at all. 

I think a lot of people get into trouble with over thinking putting. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

A pretty good tip for all putting :) 

I don't really focus on hands. I just kinda putt. Since I don't suffer from something like yips and have pretty decent hand eye coordination I tend to just be as athletic with putting as I can. If you can call putting athletic :) 

I don't subscribe much to what Dave Pelz says but one thing that is pretty good is you have about 8 seconds from the time you make a practice stroke to hit the ball before you start to lose that feel of the practice stroke you made. Instead of trying to think about which hand is doing what I just putt. 

This is kinda similar to Dave Stockton on putting when he does not advocate taking a practice stroke at all. 

I think a lot of people get into trouble with over thinking putting. 

I don't like Pelz. I don't find anything from his work of value to improve my putting.

If anything SBST theory makes it worse as I putt better with a bit of natural arc path(especially from long distance)

Stockton has some good tips. I think he's much like Stricker. Left hand more firm grip and forward press ...look for a spot style of putting.I believe this works better for front arm dominant putters.

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Dave Stockton, at least in his book, said he prefers that people don't take a practice swing but it's not detrimental as long as you take it behind the ball while looking head-on at your line to keep the image of the line fresh in your head. The biggest thing I like about him is how he gets you to start the ball on the correct line: Rather than looking directly at the ball during the stroke, you look at a spot about two inches in front of the ball on your intended line and focus on rolling the ball over that spot. It works great for me to help me prevent missing short putts that otherwise might be easy to push/pull towards the hole unconsciously (trying to mentally remove the break because you can see the hole right there).

Funny thing as easy as putting is I see people doing some weird stuff. My step-dad is one. He is up out of his stance doing this weird putting dance thing. He misses a lot of putts because he doesn't finish his stroke due to the pop up and dance thing. Actually it's more like a stumble backwards.

I think it's people like that NL is talking to with her tips. Golfers here probably don't need hand/grip tips but the people I see on the course do. Drives me nuts when I play with someone that spends a bunch of time reading putts then stands over it in some weird combo of yoga pose and moving at the ball like they are being electrocuted. I don't understand how some start the ball towards the hole with the way their feet, hips and should face.

Dave :-)

I used to have this putting stroke where I hold the butt end of the putter inside my left hand and just move my left thumb.

work well when I started to learn the game. However seems like the evolution of other parts of my game affect how I perceive "putting" that I don't do that anymore.

22 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Dave Stockton, at least in his book, said he prefers that people don't take a practice swing but it's not detrimental as long as you take it behind the ball while looking head-on at your line to keep the image of the line fresh in your head. The biggest thing I like about him is how he gets you to start the ball on the correct line: Rather than looking directly at the ball during the stroke, you look at a spot about two inches in front of the ball on your intended line and focus on rolling the ball over that spot. It works great for me to help me prevent missing short putts that otherwise might be easy to push/pull towards the hole unconsciously (trying to mentally remove the break because you can see the hole right there).

I'm having a hard time making putts that break left to right .  I'm not normally a spot putter.  I tend to see the line and adjust my speed according.  

However I finding that locating a spot just in front on the ball with a bit forward press and trusting it makes me less anxious on these type of break 

The caveat is that sometimes I locate a spot to farther than 1-2 inches and then my wrist tend to break down and my speed gets to much like a hit. I think stepping back and rereading does help

Edited by dchoye

Isn't the spot in front of the ball thing just to keep from following the putter head with the eyes/head?

Sounds like lacking conviction is your issue. I tell myself I am going to make the putt. I don't stand over the ball thinking I hate this type of putt and change something not in my usual routine.  

Dave :-)

3 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Isn't the spot in front of the ball thing just to keep from following the putter head with the eyes/head?

Sounds like lacking conviction is your issue. I tell myself I am going to make the putt. I don't stand over the ball thinking I hate this type of putt and change something not in my usual routine.  

I went to practice at a green and just putted without much thought and my stroke seem to flow much easier without the fuss.  Looking at a spot 1-2 inches in front of the ball was too restrictive for me  I tried the Spieth version of facing the target for some putts and this free me up a lot

Edited by dchoye

4 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

I look at the spot an inch in front of the ball so I am not ball bound - more of a free stroke. If I keep my head still through the stroke, I also have more success.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

On 12/11/2015 at 0:24 PM, Dave2512 said:

The only putting thought I have is remembering to not open my shoulders.

I have the same grip as I do for all clubs and stand open, the lower hand goes on after setting up open.Lead hand already on preset as with any club.Being open gives a much better view of the hole.Also looking at the putt from behind the hole back towards the ball gives me a better sense of the line.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

Note: This thread is 3015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!