IGNORED

Ping G30s, do you like them?

Smidd4
Note: This thread is 3040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was notified of the rules of asking questions via message when I signed up so I did in fact search for this subject first. Does anyone play the g30 irons? If so I would love your feedback. I recently tried them out and was fitted for a set and I really enjoyed the feel of them and the way the ball flew off of them. I currently play mizuno mx25 which I believe are roughly 10 years old so the new technogy has me eager to see what it can do for me game. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

not their irons, but a G30 driver and 5 wood, love em!!  Like most Ping products, I'm sure you'd find the G30 irons to be excellent quality if you choose to play them.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I have the driver, 3 wood and just bought the 3 hybrid. I love them all. They are a great product and I really did like the way the irons felt. Picked up 20 yards with the 7 doing nothing different than normal during my demo/fitting. They have me super intrigued.  

I had the irons and liked them. I moved on in September to the I25 irons because I wanted a smaller head and lost a ton of distance. Actually almost 2 clubs worth. The G30s have pretty strong lofts and they go a long ways. The long irons are easy to get up in the air too. I hated the CFS shafts as they were too spinny for me. My new AP1s are going to be here Tuesday. I thought about going back to the G30s after the I25 debacle but Ive decided to go to Titleist. I gave my dad my G30s after switching or they would be back in the bag.

21 minutes ago, adam3553 said:

I had the irons and liked them. I moved on in September to the I25 irons because I wanted a smaller head and lost a ton of distance. Actually almost 2 clubs worth. The G30s have pretty strong lofts and they go a long ways. The long irons are easy to get up in the air too. I hated the CFS shafts as they were too spinny for me. My new AP1s are going to be here Tuesday. I thought about going back to the G30s after the I25 debacle but Ive decided to go to Titleist. I gave my dad my G30s after switching or they would be back in the bag.

That's good info there. Did you play the g30 gap wedge as well? I'm wondering if I go with the matching gap or get the glide. I do hit a lot of full shots with my gap but I also like to spin it as well. If you did play the stock gap, could you spin the ball?

Own and love the driver!!!  Demoed and love the irons as well ... But I'm not in the market for irons at the moment so didn't see the need to "upgrade" from my i20s. ;)

Didn't care for the 3 wood I hit though.

25 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Own and love the driver!!!  Demoed and love the irons as well ... But I'm not in the market for irons at the moment so didn't see the need to "upgrade" from my i20s. ;)

Didn't care for the 3 wood I hit though.

Thanks for the input, I definitely like what I am hearing so far. What didn't you like about the 3 wood? I absolutely love mine. 

3 minutes ago, Smidd4 said:

Thanks for the input, I definitely like what I am hearing so far. What didn't you like about the 3 wood? I absolutely love mine. 

Bad results.  But that could have been a number of things - not the least of which is that 3 wood off the deck is one of the weakest parts of my game.

4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Bad results.  But that could have been a number of things - not the least of which is that 3 wood off the deck is one of the weakest parts of my game.

In my experience when you hit that thing pure off the deck you don't feel a thing and it comes off like a rocket even with my slow swing speed. 

G30 driver is awesome, 3 wood is pretty average. Used the G30 4 iron for most of this year as a 3-iron replacement and really liked it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Like many others, I upgraded to a G30 driver late this season.  Early spring, I will go for a Ping iron fitting.  Going to demo both the G30 and the G-Max model.  Whichever works better for me will end up in the bag for next season and hopefully many to come.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

13 hours ago, Smidd4 said:

That's good info there. Did you play the g30 gap wedge as well? I'm wondering if I go with the matching gap or get the glide. I do hit a lot of full shots with my gap but I also like to spin it as well. If you did play the stock gap, could you spin the ball?

I didnt play the gap. I had and actually am still using until the Vokey SM6s come out Pings Tour Gorge wedges. I had a 50*, a 56* bent to 55*, and a 60*. I havent hit the Glides but if they are anything like the Gorges they are pretty easy to hit on full shots. My 50* is my 100 yard club and I also use it to chip and pitch quite a bit along with my 55*. IMO Id get the Glide and have the G30s in 4-PW. If I wanted more forgiveness Id get the G30 GW but I dont feel like I need that. I happen to like the smaller profile on my wedges so thats why I didnt get the gap.

48 minutes ago, dave s said:

Like many others, I upgraded to a G30 driver late this season.  Early spring, I will go for a Ping iron fitting.  Going to demo both the G30 and the G-Max model.  Whichever works better for me will end up in the bag for next season and hopefully many to come.

dave

I also hit the G Max, I really didn't like the sound it makes at contact. It could just be but I couldn't listen to that sound 10,000 times a year. 

Never played the G30's but I play the G25 irons in a 4-GW and from what I've seen from club reviews are that the G30's are just the G25's with slightly stronger lofts.  That being said i really like the G25's; they are long and about as forgiving as you are going to get in a set of irons.  I do have alignment issues with the offset on the 4 and 5i but that's probably more of a "me" issue than a problem with the clubs themselves.

Also FWIW I use the set GW.  I probably am losing a little spin but i like that wider sole on the set GW for shots around the green.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

37 minutes ago, InTheRough said:

Never played the G30's but I play the G25 irons in a 4-GW and from what I've seen from club reviews are that the G30's are just the G25's with slightly stronger lofts.  That being said i really like the G25's; they are long and about as forgiving as you are going to get in a set of irons.  I do have alignment issues with the offset on the 4 and 5i but that's probably more of a "me" issue than a problem with the clubs themselves.

Also FWIW I use the set GW.  I probably am losing a little spin but i like that wider sole on the set GW for shots around the green.

Thanks for the input. I feel as though I won't be disappointed when I purchase the irons. I think I will start with the set gap wedge as my home pro shop carries the glides so if I feel I am losing out on something I can just pick it up. 

I play G30 5-sw. I have had good results, but my G15s felt better. My son has my G15s, and if he wanted to trade, I'd probably do it. I really don't like either set as well as my Eye2s.

On 11/26/2015, 11:42:24, Smidd4 said:

I also hit the G Max, I really didn't like the sound it makes at contact. It could just be but I couldn't listen to that sound 10,000 times a year. 

Interesting and thanks.  Now, when I go for the fitting, I'll  be more tuned into what sound the irons make than my swing!  Hahaha.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Will let you know after Xmas, I just got fitted for the G30 iron set and waiting for them to get here.  Only downside, my wife's only stipulation was I had to wait to Xmas to open them so the next few weeks are going to be brutal (she doesn't even trust me to go pick them up when they get here, can't blame her for that though...haha).

Note: This thread is 3040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!