IGNORED

Speed golf anyone?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 3042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I remember seeing an article awhile back about speed golf that combines golf and running. Looks intersting, though  haven't seen any tournaments for this. Just wondered if anyone has ever tried it. I love running and golf... just never thought to put the two together.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When i first heard about Speed golf i thought "wow playing golf while on speed, that should have interesting results",  you can guess my dissapointment when i realised they meant just playing fast :-P

On a serious note, they have tournaments here in the UK and this form of golf is gaining in poluarity as players can get round in a hour or so. For me, golf is hard enough without having to run as well

• Upvote 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

31 minutes ago, RussUK said:

When i first heard about Speed golf i thought "wow playing golf while on speed, that should have interesting results",  you can guess my dissapointment when i realised they meant just playing fast :-P

On a serious note, they have tournaments here in the UK and this form of golf is gaining in poluarity as players can get round in a hour or so. For me, golf is hard enough without having to run as well

:-D

I haven't seen it anywhere in the last 30 years where I've played. I remember seeing a guy do it in Ohio back in 1984. Courses are too crowed here in New England. They would have to dedicate a day or morning for this to be attempted.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Dave325 said:

I remember seeing an article awhile back about speed golf that combines golf and running. Looks intersting, though  haven't seen any tournaments for this. Just wondered if anyone has ever tried it. I love running and golf... just never thought to put the two together.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

24 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

:-D

I haven't seen it anywhere in the last 30 years where I've played. I remember seeing a guy do it in Ohio back in 1984. Courses are too crowed here in New England. They would have to dedicate a day or morning for this to be attempted.

I'd think that courses would LOVE to attract and cater to a group of speed golfers.  Give them the first times of the day.  You can probably put them out at 3 minute intervals or so and get an additional 30+ golfers out on the course in exchange for the dedicating the first 30 minutes of t-times.  I know that is love to be in the first group following them!  ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

22 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I'd think that courses would LOVE to attract and cater to a group of speed golfers.  Give them the first times of the day.  You can probably put them out at 3 minute intervals or so and get an additional 30+ golfers out on the course in exchange for the dedicating the first 30 minutes of t-times.  I know that is love to be in the first group following them!  ;-)

3 minute intervals if you make sure the fastest are sent out first.  And they'd have to be all singles.

The records are pretty amazing.  http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122610474805110179

Christopher Smith set the world speed-golf record three years ago at a tournament in Chicago. On a regulation course, he shot a six-under-par 65 in 44 minutes and 6 seconds, carrying only six clubs and sprinting between shots. 

11 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Christopher Smith set the world speed-golf record three years ago at a tournament in Chicago. On a regulation course, he shot a six-under-par 65 in 44 minutes and 6 seconds, carrying only six clubs and sprinting between shots. 

That's incredible. I don't think I'll ever play a round in close to 2hrs. Might have something to do with those extra 30+ strokes.

I've run with my full set in a push cart, only because I needed to put some distance between the group behind. In addition to looking pretty stupid, I'm not in the best shape for running up and down hills. It still beats having to rush a shot because someone is waiting at the tee.

Jon

I do a bit of running when I'm playing the back nine on my own from about 9am just to make sure I stay ahead of the 7:30 am starters.  And if there is open fairway in front of me and I'm not having to wait for a playing partner to hit a shot then I quite like getting to my ball as soon as I can!  Spent enough time on enough courses waiting for a group in front to clear or a partner to take their shot that getting round quickly is something of a luxury.  The course I play is pretty hilly (and I'm not in great shape) so I can't keep the running up all the way round.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

Christopher Smith posted an incredible score there. In thinking about it.... it is akin to the biathalon in winter sports where they mix cross-country skiing and target shooting. One side requires aerobic and speed, while the other demands a steady hand, position and accuracy. 

Dave

I can see myself do a round with a 6i a couple balls and tees, and fast walk a round in a little over an hour maybe. Not run though. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

IIRC, Woods when he ran a lot, ~7 min/mile. Any of the flatbellies on the tour, they're already running or some sort of cardio - Villegas, Oglivy (bike), it's way easier to get someone who's already @ 9 min/mile down to sub 7 then to take a sub 7 guy and get him to break 80 consistently.

I'd bet there's a bunch of guys on tour, minor league tours, even D1, who could give the top speed guys a run for their money.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This would defeat most of the purpose I play golf for. I already do strenuous exercise. Golf is for the weekend when I want to relax.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

2 hours ago, Psyber said:

This would defeat most of the purpose I play golf for. I already do strenuous exercise. Golf is for the weekend when I want to relax.

Tried and enjoy both forms of golf.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

6 hours ago, Lihu said:

Tried and enjoy both forms of golf.

I'm sure many people would. I just wouldn't. I hate to run. My idea of exercise is lifting the heaviest thing I can for about 45 seconds and then sitting down for a few minutes. It closely matches my golf game haha.

It actually sounds interesting to me ... I not sure I could run on every hole ... 

I play fast to start with ... would just need to add the running and limit the number of clubs I would carry.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Would be good to play with just 5 clubs. Maybe driver, hybrid, 7 iron, PW, and putter. 

5 hours ago, Psyber said:

I'm sure many people would. I just wouldn't. I hate to run. My idea of exercise is lifting the heaviest thing I can for about 45 seconds and then sitting down for a few minutes. It closely matches my golf game haha.

Agree, that "old man run" is not all that pretty to watch. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I have never had the opportunity, but speed was always my biggest weapon in sports (especially soccer), so I think I would really enjoy it and excel at it. 

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!