IGNORED

Longest time between rounds while still practicing

Rainmaker
Note: This thread is 3064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious - what's the longest time you've spent without playing actual golf but still practicing, taking lessons, etc?   I managed to keep playing a bit after my first child was born but I gave up after the second one.  Now he is 2 and a half years old and I'm starting to think about playing golf again.  It's been about 2 years since my last round.  

When I stopped playing, I was making some solid improvements, I had recently broken 100 for the first time.  My last round, I shot a 97.  I was still slicing a bit.  I was carrying my drives about 180-200.  My 150 yard club was a 7iron. . .well, I would choose a 7 iron.  I rarely hit greens and, if I did, the ball would usually bounce off them.  

I did find some time for practicing and taking lessons over the last 2 years, though.  On the range, my max driver carry distance now is 260.  I regularly carry it 230-240.  All my irons are more consistent with better ball flight.  I probably would go for an 8 iron at 150.  Club distance is the thing I am least sure of - at the range I go to, they have quite old range balls, an elevated tee and you're almost always hitting into a strong wind - the rest of the time I hit into a net.  So beats me, lol.  I do know I'm hitting it way better.  I also know that, for whatever reason, I could go out there and not be able to hit it at all . . that seems to happen to me . .I'll get in my own head and not be able to see some huge, obvious mistake I'm making.  

What's the longest you've gone without playing while still practicing and improving?  What was it like the first round back? 

For myself I would have to guess maybe a month at the most. This of course does not include practicing while rehabbing from an injury.  I practice more than I play most of the time. Last week, with not much going, I was at the course 5 straight days, but only golfed 27 holes. For the other  four days I was just messing around in the practice area. A couple of weeks ago I played 6 rounds in 5 days. Iguess it all averages out over the long run. It matters little if I am prcticing or playing. I still have fun with both. As long as I score between 78 and 84 most of the time, I am happy with my game. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went over a month easily this season, perhaps even twice. Not many rounds played this year unfortunately, but I practiced a fair bit. I think I'm better now than I was at the end of last season, but my scores never proved it. Funny, I said the last thing at the end of last season. So I must be way better than 2 years ago! The scores will come around to show it, someday!

Anyway, I always feel rusty after a month away from the course, even if I'm at the range a few times a week. That first round back is always tough for me, as I "forget" how to get into a rhythm on the course or something. It takes a while for my shot pattern on the course to equal the shot pattern that I'm getting at the range. It's like on the course I revert to some old "natural" bad habit swing, but I have to go through that phase to eventually morph that to the new, improved swing I've gotten to on the range through some Evolvr lessons and learning things here.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator

All winter.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I try to get out once or twice a week, but practice the full swing mechanics everyday in my backyard (without real balls). I keep a pile of plastic balls in the corner of the yard that I can hit back and forth. If my course is closed (Ohio weather can be dicey), I just head to the range which is run by a local pub.... And that is always open :-). When there. I can simulate course play.... Pick a spot.... Go from driver, long iron and wedge (repeat).

Dave

Probably about 3 months due to family comitments. May be even longer fron next April as my 2nd son is due to arrive!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

In season, probably about two months. I've had some "real life" events that kept me off the course. But my course is along the route to work, so I could hit a small bucket or putt on occasion.

I had one stretch in the 1990s and a second in the early 2000s when life was very cluttered, and I decided just put the clubs away for a couple of seasons.

It's very frustrating to "pretend" I'm going to play when there's no way I can.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!