IGNORED

Unlimited Golf or One Round at Augusta?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would you rather play only one round all year, but it's at Augusta National, or play unlimited golf at your local course/club?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather play only one round all year, but it's at Augusta National, or play unlimited golf at your local course/club?

• Unlimited golf
    • Round at Augusta

12 minutes ago, Grumpter said:

I think around here you would get about the same response as people who hang out in a golf forum tend to play more golf. If you ask the question to guys who only play 25 rounds a year and the results might be very different.

Well the poll on golf magazine is 60/40 in favor of Augusta so I'd say you are right. 

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I wanna know why @Club Rat picked Augusta. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No brainer, Augusta. I don't have time for unlimited golf and I don't care about paying for it when I do. No chance to play Augusta so I'd take that hands down.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'll take unlimited golf.  At this stage of my golf life I doubt I'd get full enjoyment out of playing Augusta.  I'd like to play Augusta one day, but not at the expense of an entire golf season.

Joe Paradiso

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

I wanna know why @Club Rat picked Augusta. :-)

Mainly because I'm an old guy who has never played Augusta and probably never will.

Unless, by the grace of the golf gods, somehow, someway, I would get an invitation. (Hint, Hint, Erik)

If by chance this is the only option to ever play there, then yes I would choose to play only one round for a year.

Besides, by the grace of almighty "$$", I already play unlimited and have for many years.

And, I give thanks everyday for the wonderful golf journey I've enjoyed...:beer:

Thanks @Vinsk for being the only other person to join me.

We'll have a great time, while everyone else will be drooling.

We will be sure to post photos for everyone else's viewing pleasure.

Shall we call and make a tee time? :banana:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I'd go with unlimited golf.  I have a hard time with "once in a lifetime" experiences, golf or otherwise.  You anticipate it so much and then it finally happens . .and you're doing it (whatever it is) and you're kind of outside yourself at the thought of doing this once in a lifetime thing . .and then it's over and it's almost like you didn't really get to experience the thing itself . .just your limited "once in a lifetime" version of it.  

Nobody who waxes romantic (in a convincing way) about Augusta played it just once.   I think playing it just once doesn't even really get you that experience.  Now, a year membership . .that's worth talking about! 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I think you could say "10 rounds at Augusta, Old Course, Pebble Beach…" and a lot of people would still pick the unlimited golf option instead.

Nope, I'd take the ten rounds. The choices are getting better every moment.

I chose Augusta. I'll most likely never get the chance to play there, and I'd want to take any opportunity I could to do so.

Also, it didn't say we couldn't practice. I'd just use that year to go super hard on the range.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

7 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

I chose Augusta.

Cool, we now have a threesome.

Wonder if Augusta allows five-somes?

I voted for Augusta, I'd sacrifice a year of golf to play there. I don't play a ton, about 35 rounds this year but it would suck not to play in tournaments with my dad and member/guest stuff with my buddies for that year. But it's only one year and Augusta it's maybe the ultimate golf bucket list item. Also, my dad's played there so it's gets me even on bragging rights.

11 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Is the unlimited golf at only one course, or is it at any of your local courses?

Your club or local course(s).

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I got some pretty damn nice local courses, so I'd probably go with the unlimited golf. It definitely isn't the easiest choice though.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

After considering it overnight, I'd have to say that I would choose unlimited golf at this point in time. If I had unlimited golf I would have the potential of improving my game enough to play for the school I am transferring to this sorting, since it is division 1 vs division 2. With a singular round at Augusta I would have a lot of fun once, but lose any chance I ever had of playing college golf. 

For me it's a choice of the round of a lifetime, or pursuing a goal of mine that can only be achieved once in a lifetime. Regardless of whether or not I make it, I want to try. My progress thus far has been promising enough (no plateaus yet, continual improvement despite reduced practice this last year) that I don't want to toss in the towel on that goal yet. 

People used to raved about pebble beach and I can tell you its not that great. It may be well prepared for tournaments but other times it just another GC. A very unpleasant smell dodges the course and super expensive. 

Unlimited rounds at one of my local courses? Do I get to pick? Really? That would get me up from 1-2 rounds a week to 3-4 rounds a week. Sorry Augusta. You lose.

I have a choice locally of:

* Chambers Bay

* TPC Snoqualmie Ridge

* The Home Course 

* Eagles Pride

I'd probably choose TPC Snoqualmie Ridge because of the amenities and the fact it doesn't get like an oven in the afternoon like that cove where Chambers Bay is located. Yes it's a 45 minute drive, but they have a very nice club house. Yeah, free membership would be real nice.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

3 hours ago, craps said:

People used to raved about pebble beach and I can tell you its not that great. It may be well prepared for tournaments but other times it just another GC. A very unpleasant smell dodges the course and super expensive. 

I used to go fishing there a lot about 8-10 years ago - I can attest to the smell.  It's just regular low tide smell . .and usually it's windy enough that you can't even smell it .. but on certain days you certainly can.   

For some reason, though . .I think Augusta is probably all it's cracked up to be.  I feel like if I could really play it, I would think it was the greatest golf course ever.  I just feel like with all the hype surrounding a once in a lifetime event . . it would be tough to get a real feel for the place.  I don't know how it is, though . .it's probably never chill.  It's probably wall to wall tee-times every day all year and, if you're just a "regular" member you probably get bumped all the time for the big-time members.  

Ok . .so here's what I would be into . .close Augusta down for a long weekend for me and my buddies.  I would trade a year at even the nicest muni for that.    

5 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Unlimited rounds at one of my local courses? Do I get to pick? Really? That would get me up from 1-2 rounds a week to 3-4 rounds a week. Sorry Augusta. You lose.

I have a choice locally of:

* Chambers Bay

* TPC Snoqualmie Ridge

* The Home Course 

* Eagles Pride

I'd probably choose TPC Snoqualmie Ridge because of the amenities and the fact it doesn't get like an oven in the afternoon like that cove where Chambers Bay is located. Yes it's a 45 minute drive, but they have a very nice club house. Yeah, free membership would be real nice.

The way I interpreted the question, it meant your local club(s), as in the ones you typically play, not just unlimited golf at any of the courses in your local area.

Because if the latter is the case, I live near Baltusrol, Plainfield, Pine Valley....

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

The way I interpreted the question, it meant your local club(s), as in the ones you typically play, not just unlimited golf at any of the courses in your local area.

Because if the latter is the case, I live near Baltusrol, Plainfield, Pine Valley....

If that were the way you meant it, I'd take either Eagles Pride or The Home Course. The thing about Eagles Pride is that it's a 27 hole course, but they only have 18 holes open at one time. The Home Course is well kept, but lacks amenities at this time.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

This is a tough one.  I went with unlimited golf for obvious reasons.  That said, who would I be playing Augusta with?  That might make all the difference right there.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 3064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!