IGNORED

Scotty Cameron Putters -- Are they for real?

JBailey
Note: This thread is 2968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't make many putts this year from 6'-10', so I'm looking for a new putter.  I went to the local golf center yesterday and spent about an hour trying out different putters.  I hit 6 putts from 10 ft. with 5-6 putters.  A couple of them felt pretty good, (a Ping and a Taylor Made) all hit the ball with good pace and came close - none, however, went in the hole.  Then I grabbed a Scotty Cameron (Golo 3) and, bam, bam, bam, I made 3 in a row and 5 out of 6.  Not only did I make them, but they all went in the center of the hole.  Having not played golf for the last 20 years, I knew nothing about Scotty Camerons.  I backed up to 20 feet and made 2 of 6 from that distance.

Those of you who have the Scotty Camerons, do you find them to be that good, or did I just hit a lucky streak?  I hate to spend $349 and find out later I was just on a hot streak.

What do you all say?

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

• Administrator

I recommend you get an Edel putter from your nearest fitter. It will last you a lifetime.

A lot of the SC pricing is the name.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you're going to spend that much for a putter, I agree with @iacas that you should get fitted for an Edel putter by your nearest fitter.  My friend @colin007 has an Edel putter and from the rounds I've played with him, I can tell he loves it.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Scotty putters are a top of the line, quality tool for putting. I own 3 of them, and dont use them. I won one and the other two were gifts. I dont use them because I dont putt well with them. Dont know why, but I dont use them very eell. 

What I do putt well with is a cheapie Zone 1 putter I found in a discount bin. I think I paid $10 for it many years ago. 

My point is, just because a club has a high price tag on it, it's not a guarantee it will play well for you.

For my last birthday, one of my daughters presented me with a Cleveland T 2135 (?) Putter. Something about a raised aim line is its claim to fame. From what little use I have given it, it seems to be able to match my putting stroke pretty well. Its not in my bag yet, but maybe some day. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have one that sits in the corner of the garage now ... I think I paid $350 for it ... through this site I learned you can't really "buy" a game off the shelf.  So I took the Edel challenge ... I went and got fitted ... the BEST singe club decision I ever made.  

I will add ... my Edel putter combined with an aimpoint class, has me putting like a low handicapper.  Could not be happier.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

They are very nice putters.  I very much like the weighting.   I bought one in 2000 and felt that it was much better than anything else I had tried.   So I kept it for years.   It was replaced by two different putters.   One was another Scotty Cameron (since I had credit I didn't know what to do with) and an eBay bought 1967 Nicklaus putter for $15.  

Both of those putters are equally nice.  One happens to cost more and I was willing to pay for it.  So it worked out.    Scotty Cameron's are considered very nice, high end putters.  If you like it, go for it.   But I wouldn't say they are necessarily better than anything else.  How it works for you, or anyone, is completely subjective here. 

—Adam

Im with Patch on this one.

I went to treat myself to a SC putter and was prepared to plonk down some serious ££££. Ended up walking out with a £60 Hot Blade putter that I absolutely love! As a treat for dropping below 15 next year (dreams are free:) I think I might treat myself to an Edel but only time will tell. It would have to seriously perform to get the cheap Hot Blade out of the bag!

At the end of the day its what ever feels good in your hands. If thats a £300 SC or Edel or a £10 special from the second hand shop so be it. Only you can tell what works for you.

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

3 hours ago, JBailey said:

I didn't make many putts this year from 6'-10', so I'm looking for a new putter.  I went to the local golf center yesterday and spent about an hour trying out different putters.  I hit 6 putts from 10 ft. with 5-6 putters.  A couple of them felt pretty good, (a Ping and a Taylor Made) all hit the ball with good pace and came close - none, however, went in the hole.  Then I grabbed a Scotty Cameron (Golo 3) and, bam, bam, bam, I made 3 in a row and 5 out of 6.  Not only did I make them, but they all went in the center of the hole.  Having not played golf for the last 20 years, I knew nothing about Scotty Camerons.  I backed up to 20 feet and made 2 of 6 from that distance.

Those of you who have the Scotty Camerons, do you find them to be that good, or did I just hit a lucky streak?  I hate to spend $349 and find out later I was just on a hot streak.

What do you all say?

Later,

John

Seems like you answered your own question. If you can afford it go for it. Maybe go back and try it a couple more times. Even if it's psychological, who cares?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Thanks all,

Guess I'll keep looking for awhile.  There's only one place in Michigan that does Edel fitting.  It's 250 mi. away, so I won't be going soon.  But, after feeling the difference of the Scotty Cameron, and reading the Edel website, I think I'll just keeping looking and possibly make a road trip down state and visit with the Edel fitter.  After all, isn't that one of the benefits of being retired,-- take off when you want and where you want.

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I recommend you get an Edel putter from your nearest fitter. It will last you a lifetime.

A lot of the SC pricing is the name.

Yep agree with this. If you're going to spend that much, do it right and get it built custom to your eyes and stroke.

Scotty putters are nice milled putters but that's really all they are, milled putters. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

As is with everything about golf: IMHO 99% is mental. Confidence is a huge factor in golf. 

While it's 99% Indian and not the arrow, it doesn't hurt to buy a club that you have a huge confidence when using it. 

So if you can afford it and you feel you can do no wrong with SC, you should trust yourself and not on others. After all they can't putt for you. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Honestly, you probably hit a lucky streak.  That said, that particular putter may fit your stroke and your eye which resulted in you making more of the putts.  I do think Scottys are nice putters but I think they are expensive as well.  Yes, you pay some for the name but their resale value retains well if you end up wanting to resell it down the line for any reason.  I can't comment on the Edel putters specifically but getting a putter that fits you is the key.  Don't pick a putter only on name.

Personally for me, I want a good combination of alignment aid and something that gives me good (perceived) distance control. 

I personally like the Scotty Futura x5.  Good Luck!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Yukari said:

As is with everything about golf: IMHO 99% is mental. Confidence is a huge factor in golf. 

While it's 99% Indian and not the arrow, it doesn't hurt to buy a club that you have a huge confidence when using it. 

Two things can't both be 99% of golf. :-)

Putters - given the impact on distance control and alignment - are one of the areas where you can see the most improvement with equipment.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Patch said:

Scotty putters are a top of the line, quality tool for putting. I own 3 of them, and dont use them. I won one and the other two were gifts. I dont use them because I dont putt well with them. Dont know why, but I dont use them very eell. 

What I do putt well with is a cheapie Zone 1 putter I found in a discount bin. I think I paid $10 for it many years ago. 

My point is, just because a club has a high price tag on it, it's not a guarantee it will play well for you.

For my last birthday, one of my daughters presented me with a Cleveland T 2135 (?) Putter. Something about a raised aim line is its claim to fame. From what little use I have given it, it seems to be able to match my putting stroke pretty well. Its not in my bag yet, but maybe some day. 

this is my story as well.   I've learned putting is all about confidence.    I have a garage full of putters - amazing how many I've accumulated.    I shot my only two sub-80 rounds with a heavy oversize center shaft putter (not a mallet, looks like an overgrown Ping C67) no one has ever heard of (TIgershark went out of the putter biz a few years ago).   Putting has always been the achiles heel of my golf ... I tried everything this summer - bought a $220 Ping Cadence counterbalanced putter (went to the store 3 different times to make sure it was the one for me) ... worked great in the store - can't hit it on the course.   Went back to the old faithful & picked up where I left off - putting is never great, but at least not destroying my rounds.    I doubt I will ever buy a really expensive putter after this experience ... 

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I have an old Wilson Black Jack putter that I have had for YEARS. I have tried Scotty's, White Hot's, Ping's etc...the old Wilson is still in my bag.  My last 9 hole round was 17 putts, no 3 putts.  And I was not always close :)   I can say for me, it is definitely more about confidence than some mythical spendi-name putter.  My only concession was to put on a mid-size Winn grip, which is plenty large for me, to help prevent over-gripping.

Edited by metbid

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

12 hours ago, JBailey said:

What do you all say?

Later,

John

I had a little tourney cash to use so I tried a bunch of putters and settled on the odyssey two ball face balanced tank. I absolutely love it. Distance control is incredible with that thing and the ball comes off great. It's worth a peek. Let us know what you decide to roll with. See what I did there? 

Putting is line and distance....I don't see how any putter can "give" you the correct distance,distance being generally considered the more important of the two .

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

Hi John, it's tempting to buy a new putter, whether it's a Scotty, Bettinardi, et al, that look great, you sink everything on the floor inside ... occurs a lot. The reality is that the store green results do not usualy translate to the real world. I bought dozens of putters in that manner over 15 yrs.

Go with the Edel when you have time. A good fitting will get you the putter you want for the remainder of time. The only reason to change is you just want another Edel. Before my fitting, I spent the time getting the putting setup that was neutral and a stroke that which was technically proficient  so when I went to my fitting I was consistent. Good luck in your fitting.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!