IGNORED

Scotty Cameron Putters -- Are they for real?

JBailey
Note: This thread is 2962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, collapse said:

Putting is line and distance....I don't see how any putter can "give" you the correct distance,distance being generally considered the more important of the two .

Apologies for the brevity, as I've answered this type of question numerous times.

I support Edel putters because putting is three things:

One of those is AimPoint (Read). The other two are line and speed as you say, but Edel putters:

• Help you hit your line by fitting what your mind's eye (and your actual "eye"s) see as square.
  • Help you control distance by fitting what your body senses as the weight profile.

To expand briefly on the second, I can affect your ability to hit putts a consistent distance by messing with the amount of weight and its distribution within the putter (head, grip, mid-shaft, etc.). I've said it's almost more impressive and has a bigger effect than the ability to help a player aim square when it's square.

I've fit people for putters where they aim their putter nearly perfectly, so I built that for them, but they still bought an Edel because their weight profile was so far off they couldn't control distances nearly as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, collapse said:

Putting is line and distance....I don't see how any putter can "give" you the correct distance,distance being generally considered the more important of the two .

Not sure I understand that one.  Feel can certainly help you dial in your distances.  If a putter is to heavy or light for you, how firm the face is, feedback and forgiveness...  bad putters can hurt your distance control and overall consistency.

Like irons that minimize distance loss on off center hits, they can help you become more consistent with yardages.  A putter can help you become more consistent with your distances on off center hits.  Ever putt a ball low on the putter face or heel a putt?  Maybe you hit it a little off the toe... in those circumstances the putter can make a huge difference, especially on fast greens where your errors are magnified and precision is so important.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

A putter which feels good in your hands is better than one that doesn't.But as with all aspects of golf there is a mechanical issue of how to hit a ball squarely .A good player/putter can do this with any club.If the mechanical issue is dealt with,then putting probably more than any other shot is affected by the mental aspect which I suppose it can be argued is helped by believing a new high profile putter is better for you.

Edited by collapse

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

When I use to try out a putter on an indoor green, the first thing I would do is hit the ball off the heel, the center, and the toe of the putter face. I would use the same target for all three. If I saw the same roll off all three putter  face positions, then that putter showed promis. My next test was to talk the counter guy into letting me put up a deposit, and then take the selected putter to a real green for a more thorough test.  I never trusted the roll on those indoor practice greens. Most of the time the salesman let me do this extra, outdoor test. The few who didn't, lost out on possible sale. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 minutes ago, Patch said:

When I use to try out a putter on an indoor green, the first thing I would do is hit the ball off the heel, the center, and the toe of the putter face. I would use the same target for all three. If I saw the same roll off all three putter  face positions, then that putter showed promis. My next test was to talk the counter guy into letting me put up a deposit, and then take the selected putter to a real green for a more thorough test.  I never trusted the roll on those indoor practice greens. Most of the time the salesman let me do this extra, outdoor test. The few who didn't, lost out on possible sale. 

That is not physically possible.-The ball will behave differently off the heel and toe than off the center of the face.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

5 hours ago, collapse said:

I don't see how any putter can "give" you the correct distance,distance being generally considered the more important of the two .

Like @iacas said, weight (and where it's placed) plays an important role.

45 minutes ago, collapse said:

A putter which feels good in your hands is better than one that doesn't.But as with all aspects of golf there is a mechanical issue of how to hit a ball squarely .

Check this out. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Putters are very personal things. I use a SeeMore because the club head helps me make sure I have the club face lined up square to the target line. Lexi Thompson uses and Odyssey. Sergio uses a Taylormade. Some players use Scotty Cameron. My neighbor uses a Taylormade Rossa and has used the same putter for the past 15 years - he paid $100 for it, weighted it, and counterbalanced it perfectly to fit him. The pros on TV don't use the ones we see in the stores. One pro I know got a Nike Method prototype mallet fitted for him from Nike. Never have seen another one like it. Edel, of course makes a very nice putter. 

And you'll want to make sure that you really want this putter before you spend the money on it. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

29 minutes ago, Patch said:

I am perfectly willing to accept whatever is said about expensive putters,the question I have is,is it better to spend $3-400 on a "hot" putter or on putting lessons.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

On 11/28/2015, 9:44:23, RFKFREAK said:

If you're going to spend that much for a putter, I agree with @iacas that you should get fitted for an Edel putter by your nearest fitter.  My friend @colin007 has an Edel putter and from the rounds I've played with him, I can tell he loves it.

yup, i do love it.  i love the fact that i now know that where i am aiming the putter is actually where my eyes are looking.  used to be on a twenty foot putt i was 2+ feet right and 2+ feet in the air. also, my distance control is soooo much better. @RFKFREAK has actually commented on days that im putting well that everything was a 2 putt and it looked easy.

Colin P.

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

yup, i do love it.  i love the fact that i now know that where i am aiming the putter is actually where my eyes are looking.  used to be on a twenty foot putt i was 2+ feet right and 2+ feet in the air. also, my distance control is soooo much better. @RFKFREAK has actually commented on days that im putting well that everything was a 2 putt and it looked easy.

Yeah, although now I have to hear you whine about all those 10-15 footers you just missed and left for a tap in and that if you had made one or two of those you would have shot in the 70's. :-X

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

1 minute ago, RFKFREAK said:

Yeah, although now I have to hear you whine about all those 10-15 footers you just missed and left for a tap in and that if you had made one or two of those you would have shot in the 70's. :-X

hey, i gotta whine about something....

Colin P.

I would like to thank all who have responded to this thread.  I took all the information, did a little more research and went back to the golf center convinced I needed a new putter.  Although I like the idea of the Edel putters, and especially the fitting procedure, I wanted something I could take along on my golf trip to Alabama in January.  So, I went to the golf center not quite ready to buy the Scotty Cameron -- but real close.

I decided to try out all the putters I had tried before.  I realized that the bigger the mallet, the better I putted.  I think the long line on the back of the putter caused me to see the line better and help me start my swing going straight back.

Then I saw a putter that had a bigger mallet head that I hadn't tried before.  I hadn't tried it because, well, it was ugly.  It was an Odyssey Works Big-T V-Line.  I knew the minute I addressed the ball with that putter I was on to something.  It just felt right.  At this point I was putting from about 16' and not making many.  I missed on my first try with the Odyssey by about an inch to the left.  That was different because I usually miss right.  Then, I made 4 in a row, missed the next and made 2 more.  6 out of 8 from 16'.  I played a little putting tournament between the Odyssey and the Scotty Cameron -- 4 putts each.  I did this for about an hour.  Clearly, the Odyssey was the better putter in my hands.  I still think it's ugly, but I sure sank more putts.

In addition to the longer alignment aid on the back, this putter was about 3/4" longer even though both the Odyssey and Scotty Cameron were marked 35".  I've had back problems (the reason I didn't play golf the last 20 years) and being able to stand slightly more upright really helped.

Again, thanks for all the help.

And, yes, I walked out of the golf center with a new Odyssey Big-T in the bag for my Alabama trip.  Robert Trent Jones, here I come.

Later,

John

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

23 minutes ago, JBailey said:

I would like to thank all who have responded to this thread.  I took all the information, did a little more research and went back to the golf center convinced I needed a new putter.  Although I like the idea of the Edel putters, and especially the fitting procedure, I wanted something I could take along on my golf trip to Alabama in January.  So, I went to the golf center not quite ready to buy the Scotty Cameron -- but real close.

I decided to try out all the putters I had tried before.  I realized that the bigger the mallet, the better I putted.  I think the long line on the back of the putter caused me to see the line better and help me start my swing going straight back.

Then I saw a putter that had a bigger mallet head that I hadn't tried before.  I hadn't tried it because, well, it was ugly.  It was an Odyssey Works Big-T V-Line.  I knew the minute I addressed the ball with that putter I was on to something.  It just felt right.  At this point I was putting from about 16' and not making many.  I missed on my first try with the Odyssey by about an inch to the left.  That was different because I usually miss right.  Then, I made 4 in a row, missed the next and made 2 more.  6 out of 8 from 16'.  I played a little putting tournament between the Odyssey and the Scotty Cameron -- 4 putts each.  I did this for about an hour.  Clearly, the Odyssey was the better putter in my hands.  I still think it's ugly, but I sure sank more putts.

In addition to the longer alignment aid on the back, this putter was about 3/4" longer even though both the Odyssey and Scotty Cameron were marked 35".  I've had back problems (the reason I didn't play golf the last 20 years) and being able to stand slightly more upright really helped.

Again, thanks for all the help.

And, yes, I walked out of the golf center with a new Odyssey Big-T in the bag for my Alabama trip.  Robert Trent Jones, here I come.

Later,

John

Great choice, I love my odyssey. 

On 11/28/2015, 9:29:15, iacas said:

I recommend you get an Edel putter from your nearest fitter. It will last you a lifetime.

A lot of the SC pricing is the name.

I hope Edel gains a bit more traction. The closest Edel fitter is over 100 miles away.

I won my original Scotty at a charity raffle. I loved it, and would have used it for the forseeable future, but paying $350 for any "off the rack" club is a little too steep for my liking. When my clubs were stolen a year ago, I flirted with the idea of going the Edel route, but there were literally zero fitters within a 2 hour radius of Los Angeles (I understand that is no longer the case, however). 

I ended up buying a used Scotty from an authorized Ebay dealer for about $175. It's worth it to me at that price, but if I'm gonna pay $400 plus, I'd probably go with an Edel.

• 3 months later...

This is a bit neither here nor there, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this tidbit.

I was on Costco's Golf Club section of their website and, of all things, they're selling Scotty Cameron putters now

http://www.costco.com/golf-clubs.html

They have 6 models of the Select range going for $299 each. I think they're the real thing and not a made-for knockoff like Callaway does with Costco sometimes. But yeah, Scotty Camerons on sale in Costco. What a time to be alive.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

On 11/28/2015 at 2:29 PM, iacas said:

I recommend you get an Edel putter from your nearest fitter. It will last you a lifetime.

A lot of the SC pricing is the name.

I come from the UK, and have never heard of an edel putter, so I looked for one on ebay. Guess what, no such thing over here, and can only be imported from the U.S or Australia. The first thing I was told by my very good friend, (a golf pro) is make sure you have a good putter. Over here the best known quality putters are Odyssey, so I bought a white ice teron model, second hand for £30. It's like a magic wand compared to anything else I have used. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

On November 29, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Mr. Desmond said:

Hi John, it's tempting to buy a new putter, whether it's a Scotty, Bettinardi, et al, that look great, you sink everything on the floor inside ... occurs a lot. The reality is that the store green results do not usualy translate to the real world. I bought dozens of putters in that manner over 15 yrs.

Go with the Edel when you have time. A good fitting will get you the putter you want for the remainder of time. The only reason to change is you just want another Edel. Before my fitting, I spent the time getting the putting setup that was neutral and a stroke that which was technically proficient  so when I went to my fitting I was consistent. Good luck in your fitting.

Ill second this ^^^. I made tons and tons of putts with a scotty in the store. WAY more than any other putter in the store. After five years, I finally pulled the trigger. It was a great putter but on the course it wasnt nearly as successful. I also eventually learned I prefer an insert over a milled putter. No experience with edel putters so cant comment there, but a putter that fits is a must! It needs to look right, feel right, and fit your stroke. Most expensive things are that way cus ur paying for the name. Ignore names and price and find what fits that u like. AFTER that, narrow down by what your willing to spend and voila! I sold my scotty and went with a nike method matter and I couldnt be happier. Good luck and happy hunting.

Note: This thread is 2962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!