IGNORED

What is your most hated Christmas song?

gregsandiego
Note: This thread is 3046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Alvin and the Chipmunks one and Christmas Shoes.   Christmas Shoes is so depressing it makes you want to slit your wrists.   Alvin and the Chipmunks is so bad that everyone involved should be put into one of Trump's databases.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/29/2015, 8:46:11, boogielicious said:

I can't change the station fast enough for the latter one!

I would add The Little Drummer Boy. It is tedious like the 12 Days of Christmas with the added complete lack of reality factor. In no way would Mary and Joseph welcome some little brat with a drum just after their baby was born. And why did the ox and lamb have to keep time? Because he was a shitty drummer, that's why!

LOL!!!  

Pretty much 90% of all Christmas Songs. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I was going to say all of it;  I pretty much turn off the radio from Thanksgiving until December 26.  I primarily listen to country music, and the local station is (not surprisingly) big on the theme.  I can't blame them;  I'm not their prime demographic. 

When I was in high school, KROQ did Christmas albums for $5 that were entertaining, but I haven't exactly gone back to them years later.    

On 11/29/2015, 2:06:18, Dave2512 said:

If you want to hear some good Xmas music The Vandals album is a punk rock classic. 

Was this the one that had "Oi to the World"?  This rings a bell and, if so, is probably my answer to "favorite Christmas song" (although that isn't the topic of this thread)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎10‎:‎56‎, Shindig said:

Was this the one that had "Oi to the World"?  This rings a bell and, if so, is probably my answer to "favorite Christmas song" (although that isn't the topic of this thread)

It is, great freakin' album.

Dave :-)

I'm not fond of Jingle Bells.  It's too childlike with the simple melody and chord progression.

In contrast, I really like 'Christmas Song' (Chestnuts roasting ...), and Guaraldi's 'Christmas Time is Here'.  Solid melodies and chord progressions.

Speaking of cool Christmas songs . .Frosty The Snowman features an awesome chord progression - lots of great covers. 

James Brown's Soulful Christmas is another great one. 

Just Like Christmas, by Low . .is probably my all-time favorite. 

But for the worst . .honestly, I can't top Christmas Shoes. That is so terrible.  It is the worst Christmas song ever, in my opinion. 

This is the best I could do.  John Denver - Please Daddy (Don't get Drunk This Christmas)

I can handle just about everything at the start of the season. But they all become tedious by the 25th.  Grandma got run over is overplayed. Too much to take really.   I like the truly silly ones that show up at Christmas.... ONCE.   Blue Christmas by Porky Pig,  Barking Dogs, doing Jingle Bells and one of my all time favourites. Oh I yust go nuts at Christmas by Yogi Yorgessen.  That says Christmas to me along with Merry Xmas from the family

15 minutes ago, Silent said:

OK, that is a bad one!

How do you feel about Silent Night:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 12/1/2015, 8:09:35, imsys0042 said:

The Alvin and the Chipmunks one and Christmas Shoes.   Christmas Shoes is so depressing it makes you want to slit your wrists.   Alvin and the Chipmunks is so bad that everyone involved should be put into one of Trump's databases.

Funny!

But I don't find "Shoes" depressing. I find it an over the top attempt at pulling heart strings..... give me a break, it all comes down to a pair of shoes...

And Alvin? It's a weird vestige of some ancient cartoon TV. I guess I find it slightly amusing.

2 hours ago, Silent said:

I knew this would happen. Some despised songs are actually liked by others. I actually like the Wham song.

8 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Speaking of cool Christmas songs . .Frosty The Snowman features an awesome chord progression - lots of great covers. 

James Brown's Soulful Christmas is another great one. 

Just Like Christmas, by Low . .is probably my all-time favorite. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IippcraBPKA

But for the worst . .honestly, I can't top Christmas Shoes. That is so terrible.  It is the worst Christmas song ever, in my opinion. 

This is the best I could do.  John Denver - Please Daddy (Don't get Drunk This Christmas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li8GrxE1jfg

Leaning slightly off topic here but I'm intrigued by your appreciation of Frosty and the chord progressions. Can you give an example of one of those covers?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

On December 2, 2015 at 12:58:54 PM, No Mulligans said:

I'm not fond of Jingle Bells.  It's too childlike with the simple melody and chord progression.

In contrast, I really like 'Christmas Song' (Chestnuts roasting ...), and Guaraldi's 'Christmas Time is Here'.  Solid melodies and chord progressions.

Like the Peanuts theme music as well. I could listen to it all month. . .see below.

5 hours ago, gatsby47 said:

I can handle just about everything at the start of the season. But they all become tedious by the 25th.  Grandma got run over is overplayed. Too much to take really.   I like the truly silly ones that show up at Christmas.... ONCE.   Blue Christmas by Porky Pig,  Barking Dogs, doing Jingle Bells and one of my all time favourites. Oh I yust go nuts at Christmas by Yogi Yorgessen.  That says Christmas to me along with Merry Xmas from the family

True, and we have a radio station that starts playing all of these songs 24 hours a day starting right after Halloween. My kids banned me from listening to the station until 12 days before Christmas. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

How do you feel about Silent Night:-P

One of the best songs ever. Duh. ;-)

~Jorrit

12 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

It's not a Christmas song, but I can't stand Auld Lang Syne.

The tune is dull. But the words are fascinating because they are so old you can't understand them...

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

40 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

The tune is dull. But the words are fascinating because they are so old you can't understand them...

And originally sung by Scottish people according to Wiki. . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne

I find it amusing that the British needed to translate it from Scottish-English to English. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Funny!

But I don't find "Shoes" depressing. I find it an over the top attempt at pulling heart strings..... give me a break, it all comes down to a pair of shoes...

And Alvin? It's a weird vestige of some ancient cartoon TV. I guess I find it slightly amusing.

I knew this would happen. Some despised songs are actually liked by others. I actually like the Wham song.

Leaning slightly off topic here but I'm intrigued by your appreciation of Frosty and the chord progressions. Can you give an example of one of those covers?

Sure - this one is far from my favorite but widely available and pretty cool example

Other versions I like are by The Ventures and a group called The Holiday Soul - the track appears on Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas - it's on Spotify if you have it. 

Edited by Rainmaker

6 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

My wife and I liked this song the first 200 times we heard it last season, but found ourselves switching stations since our kids were starting to convulse in back seat.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!