IGNORED

What Are Your 2016 Golf Goals? Official Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2016 is just around the corner....So what are your golfing goals for next year? How are you going to go about achieving them?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Staying healthy enough to continue to play golf and keep my hdcp around 10 or less.

Hiking around the desert southwest and walking most of my golf rounds will keep my legs in shape. A few hundred miles on my bike wont hurt.

Practicing my golf, and playing will keep everything else in decent working order. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I am new again to golf as of April this year (played for about a year in 2011).  I am right on the cusp of breaking 90, and am confident I will do so by the end of this year.

For 2016, my goals are to shoot consistently in the 80s/low 90s, and eliminate any scores that have 3 digits.  I'd also like to break 80 in 2016.

I plan to achieve these goals by continuing evolvr lessons, applying what I've learned in Lowest Score Wins, and being diligent in practice.  Eliminating blowup holes will go a long way towards these goals I believe.

1. At some point in 2016, I will get a full club fitting.  I suspect I am not getting as much from my equipment as I could.  If nothing will help as far as equipment changes, then at least I will know.

2. Our "Club Without Real Estate" runs 13-14 handicapped tournaments each summer.  I would like to win one.  I played extremely well in 2015, placed in the top 5 a lot, but never made it into the winner's circle.  Winning in 2016 may be near impossible, though.  We instituted the "Knuth Tournament Points System" and my handicap is going to get chopped in half as a further "reward" for my sterling play in 2015.

3. Qualify for the Senior City Championship's "Championship Flight".  I have done that a few times but it has been a while.

4. Get my handicap index up to about 15.0 (ha ha ha - see #2 above)

Brian Kuehn

Would like to get the handicap down to about 12 this year if possible. I realise that is a big step so looking to get to 15 then see how long that takes and then make a push for 12. For that I need some more consistency in the swing, I am working on shortening the swing which should provide what I need and then ill just play as much as I can to get the score down.

Need to get a few game on link courses the start of the year to see where my game is at and then assess what needs worked on further before the season starts up.

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

Driver, driver and more driver, I want to become money with that club, drive for dough.

The way I hope to achieve that goal is more practice time on the courses, not that range.

Edited by MrDC

1. Make by backswing piece a non-priority piece
2. Get my short game up to 50%
3. Make at least 90% of my putts inside of 5 feet
4. Shoot under par for the first time for 18 holes
5. Lower my handicap to under 2 

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I always love this topic.  It's nice to look back on towards the end of a year and see what goals, if any, I have reached.  

1. Win a Tournament

This has been a goal of mine for... just about ever.  Some years, I play in more than others, but... I've yet to win one.  The club I play with averages about 20 entrants in the flight I compete in per tournament.  You'd think that winning one wouldn't be so difficult, but... closest I came last year was a T3 finish in a 2 day tournament.  My handicap is lowering, and hopefully, following the holidays, I can get back out and start playing again and that'll have me ready for the first tournament in February.

2. Increase my Fairways Hit Percentage

Last season, I hit only 37.1% of fairways from the tee.  This cost me in a lot of ways.  Towards the end of the year, I was hitting closer to 45% of fairways... but I'm going to need to continue that trend.  My scores when I hit 42% or better were about 5 strokes better than when I hit less than that.  

3. Increase my Up & Down Percentage

For my statistical purposes, if I hit a green in 'regulation plus one'... I consider it an up & down attempt.  My percentage in 2015 was 28.2%.  I'd like to get closer to 40% if possible.

Overall, I'd love to improve enough to be competitive week-in and week-out.  I had way too many tournaments where I was out of it before I made the turn.  The last 2 goals I listed will help me to remain competitive every time I tee it up.  

I hope to be able to practice more this year... even if it's just swinging a club in my garage.  I told my wife I wanted Optishot for Christmas... it's just a matter of if she listened or not.  I don't expect it to help me with every part of my game... but, to be able to grab a club and swing with a purpose will be helpful.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

1. To break 90
2. Raise my GIR %, right now I hit anywhere from 0% to 30%
3. Increase my fairways hit and distance to 260, right now I'm at around 230 yds.
4. Improve my short game.

So looks like improve all around lol.

1.  Join a country club or possibly a public course membership.

will achieve by:  Get my ducks in a row to stop hemorrhaging money so I can spend it on the important stuff, like golf.

2.  Organize regular multi group competitions with all the people I play golf with.  I enjoy tournaments and leader boards and all that stuff more than casual rounds.

will achieve by:  Get off my ass and do it.

3.  Get better.  I've been playing in the Golf channel amateur tour and I definitely want to drop down one flight (I'm pretty close right now) but more ambitiously two flights would be awesome.  I'll need to take my scoring average down about 6 strokes for that.

will achieve by:  Numbers 1 and 2 will surely help.  I started with evolvr thanks to browsing this forum and am happy with it so far, but I may add in person lessons if I feel the need.  Get out there and do the practice.

• Upvote 1

I am going to keep this simple.

1. Get the HI down to 12 at least once in the year.
  2. Get out of bogey golfer status - HI below 16 - by end of the year.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I would like to drop my HI under 15 permanently, preferably closer to 12 or 10. Try to spend more time practicing instead of just playing all the time. I would also like to get into the flighted Men's City tournament in 2016.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

For 2016 - Take stats so that next year when the question is asked I can have data on what i need to improve on.

Generally though.  

Realistically -  Lower handicap by at least 5 and shoot consistently in the 80's

Fantasy - 10  and shoot in the 70's

I got serious about golf this past summer... so I am going to build on that:

1. Practice everyday

2. Jan/Feb - Get lessons - Go to Erie, PA

3. Start keeping score and find out what my handicap really is

4. Learn as much as I can and enjoy the game more

5. End of the year goal - Improve Tee shots and putting

Dave

Note: This thread is 2673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!