IGNORED

What Are Your 2016 Golf Goals? Official Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Become a bogey golfer ... get fitted for ALL my clubs.

And course my gold standard ... do not hit a house!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stop tinkering with my swing and work with what I have. 

More consistent. If I do the above it should follow. 

More practice sessions. 

Drop my HCI by at least 2. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My biggest thing I need to concentrate on is not worrying about holding people up behind me and staying focused. I worry so much about holding people up, even when I have a group  in front of me holding us up. It is the #1 thing that affects my golf game and keeps my from scoring the way I am capable of. I need to work on the mental part of the game a lot.

Next is my gosh darn 3 putts. I had countless birdie putts and for some reason my touch was  awful with my putting this year. I probably lost at least 3-5 strokes a round with my putting alone. 

And I'd like to walk more rounds than ride this year as well. 

Hope everyone reaches their goals!

In the Sunmountain Bag

Driver - Ping G30

3 Wood - Adams Speedline Super S

3&4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha's

Irons - Callaway Xhot
Wedges - 54 & 60 S Grind Titleist Vokey SM5
Putter - Oddysey White Hot
Ball - Callaway Super Soft & Bridgestone e6

On December 4, 2015 at 8:56:13 PM, Abu3baid said:

My goal is the same as 2015, to shoot an average score of 85.  I will detail my plan later in my thread.

I would like to change my goal to shoot an average score of 95.  I think with the number of times I go to the range (or lack of) I need to set a more realistic goal.  I currently average 102 according to GG so this would be a 7 stroke cut, which should be feasible.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Is like to get fitted to all my clubs, overall improve. I haven't played much in years and I'd like to get serious with it this coming up year, going to play a lot and hit the range a lot. Excited to see my results by the end of 2016

8 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

I would like to change my goal to shoot an average score of 95.  I think with the number of times I go to the range (or lack of) I need to set a more realistic goal.  I currently average 102 according to GG so this would be a 7 stroke cut, which should be feasible.

Instead of focusing on score, maybe you could try to make specific swing improvements? Also perhaps plan to hit the range or simulator 3 times a week or something like that? Those are tenable goals.

Your score can drop like a rock if you kind of get closer to your decent swing so to speak? What I mean is that 17 strokes is not impossible starting at 102?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Instead of focusing on score, maybe you could try to make specific swing improvements? Also perhaps plan to hit the range or simulator 3 times a week or something like that? Those are tenable goals.

Your score can drop like a rock if you kind of get closer to your decent swing so to speak? What I mean is that 17 strokes is not impossible starting at 102?

I know what you are saying, but those would not really be goals, those are means to an end.. The goal is to get to 95 and going to the range is the how :)

I am still working out how I will do it, i.e. The plan, but I will discuss in more detail on in my swing thread.. Keep the goal more realistic, and if I do better then it's gravy right?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

11 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

I know what you are saying, but those would not really be goals, those are means to an end.. The goal is to get to 95 and going to the range is the how :)

I am still working out how I will do it, i.e. The plan, but I will discuss in more detail on in my swing thread.. Keep the goal more realistic, and if I do better then it's gravy right?

True, it's nicer to meet goals sometimes. The main thing is to have fun doing it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Basically the same as every year:

1. Get my handicap down. I think 12 is a reasonable number. I made a lot of strides this year with all aspects of my game and I should continue to see improvement in the coming year. Biggest thing holding me back is my full swing issues, which I know what to do for. It's also a matter of taking my home swing to the course, too.
  2. Play more golf. Kind of related to #1 as it will help with lowering my handicap and getting my home swing to be my course swing. My scores for the most part have been trending downwards and more rounds with differentials in the teens will knock the 20s out.
  3. Get a full fitting. I talk about this every year but I think it's time to finally do it. I'm at the point now where the changes I make in my swing will be less drastic and I need to start getting the most out of my equipment. Understanding my specific needs and what shafts, lengths, etc., is going to be a big part of it. For example, @SavvySwede and I talked about shortening the length of my driver and fairway woods the last time we played together, but I want to know for certain that this will actually help me before I make a permanent change to my equipment. There's a Callaway Performance Center near me and I want to do this fairly early in the season.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My goal is to play more and get my game back.  I am supposed to have my hips replaced at Christmas but, because my Dad is in such poor heath, I will wait until the summer.  Once that is done, I intend to get my game back.  Oh, I still score some but you know when your swing is off.  Personally, I am over compensating and really hitting a draw.  It isn't a hook yet but we're close sometimes.  I played it all summer but want my old game back.  Also, I want to walk the course.  I have never been one to use a cart.  I love being out in nature and don't mind letting others play through if I'm taking my time on a round.  I want that type of round back in my life. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

In the last 3 years, I have lowered my handicap from 16 to 12 to 1 at the present time.  Prior to 2008, I was a 5 but an injury to my right arm and other factors limited my playing to 2 or 3 rounds a year, with almost NO practice.  Last winter, I practiced the full swing, chipping, and putting all winter long (I live in Central New York--no outside golf in December through March).  Starting in April, I practiced outside almost every day, and starting playing on August 24.  From that date to November 27, I played over 50 times.  My goal is to maintain what I have, and improve a bit in putting (I average 30 putts a round), and in focus (preshot routine and emphasis on rhythm---picturing Slammin' Sam Snead's swing.  I am 67 years old, and now play the Senior tees---I faced up to the reality that I have lost 20 yards in distance over the past 7 years.

Edited by PEZGolf

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

2 hours ago, PEZGolf said:

In the last 3 years, I have lowered my handicap from 16 to 12 to 1 at the present time.  Prior to 2008, I was a 5 but an injury to my right arm and other factors limited my playing to 2 or 3 rounds a year, with almost NO practice.  Last winter, I practiced the full swing, chipping, and putting all winter long (I live in Central New York--no outside golf in December through March).  Starting in April, I practiced outside almost every day, and starting playing on August 24.  From that date to November 27, I played over 50 times.  My goal is to maintain what I have, and improve a bit in putting (I average 30 putts a round), and in focus (preshot routine and emphasis on rhythm---picturing Slammin' Sam Snead's swing.  I am 67 years old, and now play the Senior tees---I faced up to the reality that I have lost 20 yards in distance over the past 7 years.

Wow going from a 16 handicap to 1 in 3 years at age 67. I'm not sure what to say about that?

1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

Wow going from a 16 handicap to 1 in 3 years at age 67. I'm not sure what to say about that?

I think the 1 is a typo, because his handicap listed appears to be 4.2?

Still he'd have to shoot a 72 on a 66/118 rated course at least 1/4 the time? Not sure, but the fact that he was a 5 at one point in time probably means a killer short game and 100 yards and in? Possible. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On December 5, 2015 at 11:26:20 AM, isukgolf said:

Become a bogey golfer ... get fitted for ALL my clubs.

And course my gold standard ... do not hit a house!

Not hit a house (bomb someones roof) should definitely be on my list!

Okay so my main goal remains to break 100. I currently play to about 115 so 16 strokes should be doable.

Not to bomb more than 4 rooftops all year or 1 per quarter (thank you @isukgolf). 

To drop 20 lbs which should help my game.

I plan on buying some more instruction and dpending time at range. 

23 hours ago, Lihu said:

I think the 1 is a typo, because his handicap listed appears to be 4.2?

Still he'd have to shoot a 72 on a 66/118 rated course at least 1/4 the time? Not sure, but the fact that he was a 5 at one point in time probably means a killer short game and 100 yards and in? Possible. . .

It is not a typo. You are right---I do have a good short game, and can putt.  For example, on July 10, 2009, before I was injured and before I was limited in playing and practicing, I shot a 75 at a course I had never seen before in Rotterdam, New York---near Albany and Schenectady.  Its name is Briar Creek.  I hit 12 out of 12 fairways, was on the fringe or green on 17 of 18 holes, and had 26 putts, with 3 birdies. From the 2nd to 12th holes, I had 11 one putt greens in a row.  Unfortunately, I three putted 16 and 18 for bogies, but the first putts were from 25' or more.  On the 7th hole, a par 3, surrounded by water, I used too much club and went in the water, over the green.  I then dropped 1 club, hit the green, and made the putt for a bogey.  As I previously posted, I played very little from 2010-2014.  Let me tell you-----I really, really missed golf.  I played at Disney World in 2012, and hit only 4 or 5 solid shots in 18 holes.  I then vowed that if I was going to play like that, I would simply give up the game!  I have told people that I do NOT "play golf" in the sense of being a recreational golfer.  Instead, I practice the game and compete in tournaments, and my practice sessions are designed to prepare me for the next  tournament.                        From July 17 to 19 this summer, I played with my son in a Member Guest at the St. Lawrence University Golf Course in Canton, NY.  All winter and spring, I worked to get ready.  We won the 36 hole tournament, and our winning margin was 10 points over the Defending Champions.  Then, on September 27, I shot a 73, 1 over par at the Stonebridge Golf Course, near Utica, NY, and had 38-35, with the 35 being 1 under the par of 36 on the back nine.  I made only 1 birdie---on #16, but had only 2 bogies, on #3 and 6, the two toughest holes on the course.  In each case, I was on the fringe, chipped decently, but 2 putted. Hopefully, with lots of work this winter at golf simulators and the Golf Dome at the Turning Stone Resort near Syracuse (actually in Verona, NY), I will be able to keep my game in shape, including the short game.        Right now, I am penciling in certain tournaments and matches, and one of them will be a return trip to Briar Creek, with my son, my nephew, and my golfing buddy of 40+ years.  When my nephew and I played there in 2009, his Dad was alive and we had a good time.  So this will be a memorial round for "Tink", who can look down from Golf Heaven, and give me the needle, as he always did!

• Upvote 1

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 2673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!