IGNORED

How to design a "fair" and fun Golf course

Note: This thread is 3023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I recently played an almost par 3 (it had one par 4 hole) that I thought had a great layout.  It had contours and mounds on the fairways, contours on the greens, was well bunkered, and was pretty scenic.  What I liked is that it called for every club in my bag and I think it was designed that way.  I played from the back tees and some of the hole distances are: 101, 120, 132, 151, 167, 175, 183, 195, 203, 213, 228, 315.  As I said, the layout pretty much has it covered.

My wife on the regulation (not the par 3) course which illustrates the scenery.

Where is it?

Kevin

8 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

I used to play there all the time.   Most of the people there are really nice.   They did do a very good job with those courses.

The only thing I would add to the thread is that it's nice to have an "unfair" hole on a golf course so you feel good about par or birdie.   Mercer Oaks #11 has a tree right center of the hole.   Unless you go left fairway or hit it past where the tree blocks the green, it's a pain.

My home course has a par 4 that plays like a bear.   Gary Van Sickle referred to it as "the most unfair par 4 in North America".   Feels really good to par it!  

That tree must have been gone for at least 2-3 years because I never had to navigate it. Still exists on google maps though. I'm guessing too many people whined about it, I personally enjoy stuff like that.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

44 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

That tree must have been gone for at least 2-3 years because I never had to navigate it. Still exists on google maps though. I'm guessing too many people whined about it, I personally enjoy stuff like that.

I do too.  I still remember a shot I hit that was just perfectly struck, a rarity, and it sailed just past that tree, on the left and left me a nine iron.  IIRC there is water to the right of where it was and you could see the third tee from where it was.  I've not been there in about 8 years but that and 16 where always where I would be happy with par.  

More on topic.  It was a perfect example of where you could be dead center of the fairway and be blocked out.  Annoying, but you need something ridiculous on every course. 

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!