IGNORED

Which one is easier to hit? Hybrid #2 or Wood #3?

Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which one is easier to hit?

• Wood #3
    • Hybrid #2
    • Other, please specify.

So, I have this TM Rescue Dual #2 in 16 deg and I've been having problem hitting it consistently although in good days I could hit it very straight, med trajectory and long, which is exactly the way I want it to. I'd rather hit with 4-iron than the hybrid, which all the time leaves me way short and I have to hit like 30-60 yards shot to get on the green. Apparently, I'm not too fond of my short game. I'm thinking of switching my hybrid #2 to a 3-wood. But I need some inputs from you guys.

Regardless to what brand and specs, do you think it's easier to hit a 3-wood (15 deg) or a 2-hybrid (16 deg)?
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I find it easier to hit the hybrid out of the fairway and the rough. Off the tee, I prefer my 3 wood - but it is a very low loft.

Also, it sounds like you plan to use the club to hit into the green quite a bit. I find the hybrid better for this as it tends to land more softly.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Why drop your Hybrid for a 3 Wood? According to your bag, you only have 12 clubs anyway...

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

Not even a close one to call. Hybrid is far easier, every time.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

I've been looking to replace my Tight Lies 3W, I have a 3 Hybrid. Both a fine in the fairway or 3H in the rough, but off the tee???? Pro shop in Hudson NH suggested I try some new 5W & 7W to replace my old 3W and 3I or 4I. I found the 5W & 7W will find their way into my bag once the $$ fairy shows up. They should fit that 200-230 gap I have in my bag. 3H is about 195 for me and old 3W is 200. I find the 3H easier to hit that 3W, but the newer 5W & 7W...I liked them too. I hit several brands..liked the Callaways most.

"Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and , for no reason at all, you really stink." -- Bob Hope

Driver:TM 09 Burner
3 & 5 Wood: Callaway BB War Bird
Irons: TM R7 3-PWWedges:Maxfli...

A 3 wood generally has a longer shaft than a 16 degree hybrid. That alone is going to make the hybrid a little easier to hit than the fairway wood, and generally a little shorter in distance, too. But if accuracy is your desire, you may be willing to give up a little distance in order to achieve it. However, I recently purchased one of the easiest to hit 3 woods I've ever swung, a 15.5 degree Titleist 906F4, and I had it reshafted with the same shaft I use in my hybrids. I also had it cut down one half an inch. The result is a club that gets me down the fairway a little longer than the 16 degree hybrid it replaced; it's easy to hit off a tee, as well, as long as you tee it low like a hybrid. You might want to take a look at this club. Erik wrote an excellent review of it and its sister club, the 906F2, on this site a few weeks ago.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Thank you all guys for the inputs.

I find it easier to hit the hybrid out of the fairway and the rough. Off the tee, I prefer my 3 wood - but it is a very low loft.

Not even a close one to call. Hybrid is far easier, every time.

I do plan reaching long par 4 in 2. But if you guys said hybrid is easier to use, I just can't imagine how hard it will be for me to hit a 3-wood.

Why

I plan to purchase 52 and 56 Vokey wedges in the future, hopefully soon. Right now I'm using my old clubs (Fusion) AW and SW.

A 3 wood generally has a longer shaft than a 16 degree hybrid. That alone is going to make the hybrid a little easier to hit than the fairway wood, and generally a little shorter in distance, too. But if accuracy is your desire, you may be willing to give up a little distance in order to achieve it. However, I recently purchased one of the easiest to hit 3 woods I've ever swung, a 15.5 degree Titleist 906F4, and I had it reshafted with the same shaft I use in my hybrids. I also had it cut down one half an inch. The result is a club that gets me down the fairway a little longer than the 16 degree hybrid it replaced; it's easy to hit off a tee, as well, as long as you tee it low like a hybrid. You might want to take a look at this club. Erik wrote an excellent review of it and its sister club, the 906F2, on this site a few weeks ago.

What I know of Titleist's is their square face angle on every woods including their drivers. Now, even with my hybrid's closed face I still hit a lot of fades or sometimes a slice. I'm afraid that my ball is going to the la-la land using 906F4. But I will definitely give it a try. Thank you for the input.

Apparently, all of you guys suggest that it is easier to use a hybrid than a wood. Thank you all for the comments.
What's in the bag:

I've been looking to replace my Tight Lies 3W, I have a 3 Hybrid. Both a fine in the fairway or 3H in the rough, but off the tee???? Pro shop in Hudson NH suggested I try some new 5W & 7W to replace my old 3W and 3I or 4I. I found the 5W & 7W will find their way into my bag once the $$ fairy shows up. They should fit that 200-230 gap I have in my bag. 3H is about 195 for me and old 3W is 200. I find the 3H easier to hit that 3W, but the newer 5W & 7W...I liked them too. I hit several brands..liked the Callaways most.

I'm thinking of 4 or 5-wood instead of 3-wood too.

What's in the bag:

So, I have this TM Rescue Dual #2 in 16 deg and I've been having problem hitting it consistently although in good days I could hit it very straight, med trajectory and long, which is exactly the way I want it to. I'd rather hit with 4-iron than the hybrid, which all the time leaves me way short and I have to hit like 30-60 yards shot to get on the green. Apparently, I'm not too fond of my short game. I'm thinking of switching my hybrid #2 to a 3-wood. But I need some inputs from you guys.

If you have difficulties with the TM Dual Hybrid....go try out the TaylorMade Mid Hybrid. It is the same head shape...but so much easier to hit. Much more forgiving. Bigger sweet spot.

I am carrying both the 16* and 19*. Great club that is being closed out and selling at $99.

I used rapture 18* but switched it for a Medic Synchron #3 (18*). Shaft length & type, head & all matters for which club it replaces but just wanted to state it as 18* can go for both i3 & i2, I use it as a replacement for both right now.

With my rapture I nearly never missed, & with my Medic, I never miss (as close to never as one dear use the word in golf). I have never had a problem hitting with hybrids (18* & above, 18* took a little getting used to at first), but for #3 the result can vary quite considerably, never had #3 in my bag though, only had #5 & #7, only use #3 for practice.

I say hybrid #2 is easier to hit. especially under non-optimal conditions. Much thanks to shorter shaft.
Putter: Never Compromise - GM2 3
Driver: Ping G10 10,5° / Aldila DVS 60 S
Hybrid: PP Select 5000 - 15° / True Temper Dynamic Gold x300
Irons: Titleist AP2 - 3-PW / True Temper Dynamic Gold x100
Wedges: Titleist spin milled oil - 52, 56, 62° / True Temper Dynamic Gold S300Ball: Titleist ProV1

What would be the advantage of getting a 4 wood 17* instead of a 3W 15-15.5*. would the 4W help me considering I already have a 19* Taylormade Rescue Dual TP?

In the Bag:

Driver: Mizuno MX 560
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19*
Taylormade Rescue Dual 25*
Irons: 5-6, 8-P Dunlop Loco Steel Shaft
7 Iron Nike Slingshot OSS
Wedges: Adams Golf Tom Watson 52*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Odyssey XG White Hot #7
Balls: Srixon

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

I believe that a hybrid is easier to hit but i prefer to use a fairway wood because of the lack of offset. If i have too much offset then i tend to hook the ball.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5º
3-wood 906F4 15.5º
hybrid rescue mid 19ºirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54º and 60ºputter tracy IIball Pro V1

What would be the advantage of getting a 4 wood 17* instead of a 3W 15-15.5*. would the 4W help me considering I already have a 19* Taylormade Rescue Dual TP?

The 4W at 17* would be like a 'hot' 2 iron in distance...compared to your 19* rescue dual which would be similar to a 'hot' 3 iron in distance. The 3W traditionally would have more distance than either of the other two.

As for the playability of the 4W to 3W...probably not much. However I would consider a 16* dual. That would create GREAT flexibility. Especially on long par 3s where you need some added distance...but with stopping power when it hits the green.

Can't you just buy new weights for your hybrid and change them?

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

The 4 wood is in between the 3 and 5 wood, I believe you already notice that. As I was told and the reason why I posted this thread is because 3 wood is quite a challenging club to use being the second longest club to driver. It, however, gives the benefit of distance among all other clubs for your 2nd shot on long par 4 or 5. While the 4 wood is easier to hit with, it won't yield as much as distance as a 3 wood, but further than common 5 wood.

Some say as you may have already read from the posts here that hybrids are easier to use. However when compared to each other with similar loft, wood will travel with higher trajectory than hybrid due to the head design. Some people prefer lower trajectory ball flight in hybrids and some others love higher trajectory in wood. It's actually their play style really. To know your answer, you need to test both of them out in the play and find which one is to your liking.
Can't you just buy new weights for your hybrid and change them?

I already have 14gr in the heel and 2gr in the toe. Can't get heavier weight unless I go for the tour kind of weighting. Besides playing with weight only fix your ball flight not your swing flaw. I tend not to rely on weights too much. But thanks for the suggestion.

What's in the bag:

Let me add a little to the previous post... While the trajectory of the Hybrid may differ from woods....how the ball reacts when it hits the ground is distinctly different. Hybrids hit onto the green will have the opportunity to bite (my 19* will react similar to my 4I). Woods will hit the ground and run...and could go into the trap or be at the mercy of the contours.

By far the 3 wood is an exceptional club that can take the place of the driver or the 4 & five wood . It is stable if you have it made to your specs . If its just one of those you purchased from a golf auction then it will take time to master it . the Hybrid has a shorter distance covered . For the type of club you mentioned , it should go max 260yards for good hitters and 180 for average golfers with slow swing speeds . The 3 wood can be launched any where from 200 to 300 yards . Having a bigger head and heavy weight makes it more stable in terms on accuracy and distance .

The 4 wood is in between the 3 and 5 wood, I believe you already notice that. As I was told and the reason why I posted this thread is because 3 wood is quite a challenging club to use being the second longest club to driver. It, however, gives the benefit of distance among all other clubs for your 2nd shot on long par 4 or 5. While the 4 wood is easier to hit with, it won't yield as much as distance as a 3 wood, but further than common 5 wood.

If you can handle Mizuno MPs, you should have no trouble hitting a 3 wood or a 2 hybrid at all. Buy whatever fills your gaps the best. One question: if you have 14 grams in the heel and 2 in the toe, are you trying to turn this club into a hook machine? Are you fighting some huge slice?

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!